Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powders for super light .45-70 loads?

The round ball/collar button loads are fun to shoot. I was hunting with a friend one time between yellowstone and tetons, we were taking a break back at the truck, my dog was out, and a grouse walked into camp. It flushed into a small tree, I dropped a single round ball load in the chamber of the 1886 carbine took the shot on the grouse, the friend was rushing to cover his ears and didnt quite make it...pop! About as much noise as a 22. He asked what the heck that was.

They are mild enough they didnt spook my dogs that were semi gun-shy. They were sort of startled but not scared when grouse hunting and the bird dropped out of the tree while they were watching it. Malamutes actually make pretty fair grouse dogs. They just needed to stand looking at the bird while I come over see where it flushed to, Id often hear the flush but couldnt see it in the thick woods.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

@willie, that’s a very generous offer and one I can’t turn down! PM inbound, thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @willie, that’s a very generous offer and one I can’t turn down! PM inbound, thanks!
    No problem. You can paint my house for me.

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    No problem. You can paint my house for me.
    Sorry, I’m busy that day!🤣

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Thanks! I actually bookmarked that site over the weekend but haven’t had a chance to dig around yet.

Thanks! I actually bookmarked that site over the weekend but haven’t had a chance to dig around yet.
    Its not a be-all, end-all source, but has some good stuff.

Id suggest doing a google search with the castboolits site as the target location, those guys have done about everything you can imagine.

The old ideal loading handbooks usually had a fair bit on ultra-light load info in many calibers. The data and powders are outdated in many ways but is a fair guide to get going, and using bullets most sources ignore, like round balls and very light bullets. Unique of course has been available since the very early 1900s, so is represented well in the handbooks.

Ive loaded some sort of lighter load in pretty much every rifle chambering ive used much, either cast or lighter jacketed bullets. Townsend Whelen loaded lighter jacketed bullets in his larger game rifles in the 1500 fps range, very useful, though a bit louder than I prefer for small game and plinking use, though still quite fun to shoot. The 338 lighter load was the Hornady 33 Win 200 gr FP bullet run around 1500 fps. Back of course in the 1900s when they sold such bullets.

Charlie Russell, the western artist also was a storyteller. One story stuck in my mind, it started "Like most things worthwhile it happened a long time ago..."
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-25-2024 at 11:33 AM.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I need to look around in my stuff but I might have one of those “One caliber/one book” load books for the .45-70. I know I had several at one time but can’t remember if I had that one or what I did with it if I did have it.

I need to look around in my stuff but I might have one of those “One caliber/one book” load books for the .45-70. I know I had several at one time but can’t remember if I had that one or what I did with it if I did have it.
    I have one of the old ideal handbooks, if youre interested ill send you a pic of the 45-70 page with round ball and other small bullets, and the one with all the bullets they used to make for it. Im not where it is but should be before too long.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List