Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New from S&W.

Will it run with typical 44 stuff (or 357 or 45 LC)

The pre-Ruger short flat faced rounds were problematic

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Another "new" PCC levergun that looks like a revamped Marlin, but with weird looking small details. It is becoming a friggin' cottage industry.

Large loop levers do have a small niche, but I never knew anyone - including my fur-trapping, meat-hunting relatives - to ever want or need one.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Another "new" PCC levergun that looks like a revamped Marlin, but with weird looking small details. It is becoming a friggin' cottage industry.

Large loop levers do have a small niche, but I never knew anyone - including my fur-trapping, meat-hunting relatives - to ever want or need one.
    Gato, my friend, those who can't innovate, imitate. Lever guns are the AR of the mid-20s.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Gato, my friend, those who can't innovate, imitate. Lever guns are the AR of the mid-20s.
    Apparently so. I am on record as being a .357 levergun nut. I still like 'em, though I have more reservations about leverguns in a pinch than I used to. Yes, they obviously worked well enough in atrocious conditions from the Civil War until Frederick Jackson Turner threw the red flag on the frontier... but even though I find ARs and AKs repellent, nowadays I'd grab one before I would a levergun as I am on my way out the front door and headed for Valhalla.

One almost wonders who will take this particular bull by the tail, look it squarely in the sphincter, and make the first striker-fired, polymer-framed, lever-action PCC that has all the beauty of an offspring resulting from a Hi Point/Kel Tec shotgun wedding. No limited, tasteful places for attaching Pic rail or M-Lok sections, the public demands a full rail forend... and a pistol grip, too! In Kryptek! With Punisher skulls!

ETA: and by all means, make it as big, awkward and snag-prone as possible, despite it using a pistol cartridge.
    gn

Interesting that S&W would dive into this area. I have reservations about the removable magazine tube though.

All these new lever guns, yet it's either trying to make a lever action AR, or it's just another Henry/Marlin copy.

And all I've ever wanted was a revamp of the Savage 99.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    All these new lever guns, yet it's either trying to make a lever action AR, or it's just another Henry/Marlin copy.

And the Winchester 73 is still better...

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post

The Savage got no respect from a lot of people who should have known better. Most of the people I knew who owned them were fairly well-read-up on guns and hunting, and also a bit older than the people who had gaudy post-WWII bolt rifles.

(I still recall the time when a classmate was spotted way up river in the timber with his dad's fancy new .243 Winchester bolt rifle. He was a walking heliograph, but he was unaware of it.)

Concealed-hammer, "modern" leverguns - The Savage actually counts - really deserved better. Look at the various attempts over the years where the market just said, "thanks, but no thanks." Sad. Even Ruger tried the 96 series and gave up, though they preemptively handicapped everything they introduced in those days with a "10/22"-style stock and a carbine barrel band.
    Last edited by gato naranja; 01-23-2024 at 03:08 PM.
    gn

User Tag List