Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: H9 is back on the menu!

Got to rent one at my local range today and put 50 rounds thru it. No issues except occasional failure to lock back on the last round.

Pros:
    - Very soft and flat shooting. I honestly was quite surprised as I was initially skeptical of how much the design could actually mitigate muzzle rise. Definitely shoots flatter than a stock Glock or Sig or M&P. Not quite as flat as the G19 with the Radian Ramjet that I also had with me, but it was approaching that level. I bet if someone ported or comped the H9 it would have almost no muzzle flip.
    - Ergos were nice. Very 1911-ish. Felt well balanced with its aluminum frame. Controls were easy to use. I've read about some concerns about trigger reach, but it didn't feel longer than any other pistol. It might just look that way because of the appearance of the gun.
    - G19 sized. Perfect size for me as a general purpose/carry gun. Barrel is a bit longer than a G19 but the grip length is pretty much exactly the same. It feels a bit thinner than a Glock but I'd have to get the calipers out to know for sure.

Neutral:
    - Trigger. Some other people have said the trigger sucks, but I kinda liked it. It's by no means as good as a nice 1911/2011 trigger, so if that's what you were expecting you'll be disappointed. For a striker fired trigger I think it's one of the better ones out of the box though. I'd say it feels like a Glock performance trigger or M&P trigger, just pulling straight back instead of being hinged. Didn't have a trigger gauge but felt like ~5-6lb.

Cons:
    - The beavertail was a little loose and had a sharp corner where it meets the frame. I'm not familiar enough with the design but I'm wondering why the beavertail isn't integral to the frame to begin with. When I would flag my thumb high I could feel the sharp edge rubbing the web of my hand, but I didn't notice it when I was actually shooting. If this were my gun I'd probably file that corner down.
    - Price. Gun shop had them for sale for $1299 which I think is probably a bit high for what you're getting. I think the $1k mark would be a much more competitive price for these. I'd imagine the price will drop a bit once the initial hype dies down.

Overall impressions were positive. I typically wait at least 6 months to a year before buying a newly released gun, so I'll probably pick one up later this year once the initial bugs are worked out and more people start putting high round counts thru them. Hopefully by then the it will have picked up some aftermarket support with holsters, triggers, sights, etc.

MSRP on the H9 is the same as MAP, so don't expect to see the price drop below $1300 much, unless you get one on sale.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Site Supporter
    So, in the last few weeks my wife sent me to the gun range (I don’t remember what who was compensating whom for what) and I saw the DD H9. I wanted to try it out I was a bit leery given… I’m heavily invested in Glocks and if this was really as portrayed by some I’d honestly have a hard time forgetting that and I might have to do some reflection.

That being said I shot 50 rounds through it and was intrigued by a few things and unimpressed. First, I had 2-3 stoppages and the barrel hood, etc. were visibly wet. Perhaps it was new. I have noticed in tons of marketing videos people shrugging off stoppages. Honestly, I think there may be some teething issues.

I’m used to the Glock 34 so the grip felt small, the trigger wasn’t exceptionally remarkable (I also shoot the lion share of my shooting through a Glock and a 22/45 with a Volquartsen trigger) - I didn’t feel like it staged like a 1911.

The big thing I was honestly curious about was the recoil cycle and tracking. 9-hole review had a very long and detailed review that I found decent. I would say this, the gun does recoil differently - to me it was a jab and it was felt more in the palm of your hand than a twist of the wrist per se in a recoil impulse. I wished the model I shot had a RDS because I wonder if the dot would’ve stayed more in the window in recoil.

Honestly, I wish it had a full-size grip and it had 2-3 stoppages. Recoil was different but I didn’t think it was better. But I did see where it doesn’t twist in the hand as much as drive into the hand but even then only marginally so. Maybe that’s what others are looking for? I’m good.

Not a bad gun, but not for me. I want to port a gun just to see what that’s like. I’m the dork considering a third Glock 34 just to port it. I like DD and I wish them the best. I was afraid my Glocks would be in jeopardy - I’m good.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Just picked mine up. I am not happy with this trigger.
    This is after lubing and dry firing 200ish times.

Site Supporter
    Reviewer claiming the DD H9 lent to him for review is keyholing with both 115 grain and 150 grain ammunition.

Ordered one from Daniel defense and waiting for it to ship. I’m hoping it turns out to be good. I’m not expecting much to be different in the felt recoil, I think there is only so much you can do before you hit diminishing returns. The no thumb safety is a plus to me, I see no reason for it, I’ve only carried glocks and with a trigger pull of 5-6 lbs I see no need to have one. Seems like a good opportunity to get a 2011 style ish gun and not have to retrain your draw by working in a the thumb safet, if that is what I was looking for I would just buy a staccato. Magazins priced at 25bucks is Glock territory price, which is much cheaper than other magazines in the market. Daniel defense, website says may take up to 90 days to ship, so I’ll try to report back when it comes and I get a chance to shoot it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Reviewer claiming the DD H9 lent to him for review is keyholing with both 115 grain and 150 grain ammunition.

While not exactly scientific, the individual who reported keyholing in a DD H9 found some indication the bore may be over sized.

Looks like Daniel Defense didn't burn enough sage over the patent drawings of the H9...

I hope the teething problems are short and simple. I admit, I just can't fathom not pouring every bit of QC I had into these guns from the git - because you'd be a blind fool to not see that the H9 is guilty until proven innocent.

Only have handled it but,

Nice size, felt good in the hand. Not Micro/Thin in the grip, but in the slide.

Beavertail WAY too sharp.

Dry Firing trigger heavier then they are claiming but seemed like will be pretty useable or feel good when shooting. (are you comparing to $600 striker triggers, or comparing to 2011/1911 triggers?)

Was told they are hitting low.

Site Supporter
    Kudos to Daniel Defense for acknowledging and taking care of H9s with the key holing issue reported earlier in this thread.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6GtrBqt...ozZGVxaGJ3dA==

Name:  IMG_5869.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5870.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  53.3 KB

User Tag List