Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 30X Series Announced, “Race” Gun Version at SHOT

Site Supporter
    It's a great spy movie pistol! Got enough pocket guns though.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I want to be clear - a dot on a Tomcat and Bobcat is perfectly fine. We just got the Langdon thing and those of us who like this guns, like the idea.

I actually like the idea of all of this. Even though it seems a bit silly in terms of marketing.

That said - does this update come with significant internal updates and strengthening of the Tomcat or is it still merely a 1000-round and then paperweight gun?
    The core pistol has undergone significant revision and redesign. Durability is supposed to be vastly increased. Better sights. Better trigger. The magazine release is no longer toward the butt of the gun. It felt slimmer in the hand than the older model, but I suspect that was mainly the stocks.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Honestly, I thought all the Zombie-themed stuff was ridiculous at the time, but looking back at the state of things then, I find myself feeling nostalgic. It was a fun time to be an enthusiast when 90% of our bothers were so simple as cringey green paint and logos on gun stuff.

That all said, I love this 30X stuff, baby suppressors and brakes and dots and all. I hope it finds its way to the big screen - it's perfect for the femme fatale in a Bond+Blade Runner+Altered Carbon sort of dystopian spy movie. Depending on pricing, I can definitely see myself buying one.

Where's the new .22LR versions? Would it be the 20X?

This looks excellent. Its great to see a 500 year old company that can listen to feedback from its customers in a way so many gun companies seem incapable of.

The complaints I heard about the Tomcats were:
    -terrible sights: fixed
    -weird mag release: fixed
    -poor durability: fixed
    -weight/bulk compared to other .32s or firepower compared to similar sized guns: not fixed, likely nothing they can really do there.

It may not be the most practical gun, but I have a lot of practical guns. The rep made the comment "this is the only true pocket pistol that is actually fun to shoot." I could definitely see that being true. Fun to own and play with too. Also a pretty cool old man/little lady gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The core pistol has undergone significant revision and redesign. Durability is supposed to be vastly increased. Better sights. Better trigger. The magazine release is no longer toward the butt of the gun. It felt slimmer in the hand than the older model, but I suspect that was mainly the stocks.
    This is all excellent. That could make the new Tomcat just about the perfect PCP gun...

So my understanding is the prepper thing was so that we could actually build some sort of directed campaign and material around the gun that wasn't "come on, this thing is just cool and stupid and fun, and this is America so what else matters?" since that's off brand for us.

Practically, that was what our internal sentiment is on the 30X as evidenced by the race gun prototype as well as the ones set up with a can and a dot.

That gun has been completely overhauled for the new model, and it actually surprised us how fun it was to shoot now. There should be footage on Instagram (I know our sponsored shooters have stuff in their stories) of folks blazing away on the steel challenge at range day with them, and it's just hilarious to watch. On the main demo bay they all got a fairly high round counts with people reaching for extra mags to shoot, which we didn't see much of on the old gun.
    Product Manager: ProShop, Collaborations and Special Projects
    Former R&D designer
    Beretta USA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_G View Post
    So my understanding is the prepper thing was so that we could actually build some sort of directed campaign and material around the gun that wasn't "come on, this thing is just cool and stupid and fun, and this is America so what else matters?" since that's off brand for us.

Practically, that was what our internal sentiment is on the 30X as evidenced by the race gun prototype as well as the ones set up with a can and a dot.

That gun has been completely overhauled for the new model, and it actually surprised us how fun it was to shoot now. There should be footage on Instagram (I know our sponsored shooters have stuff in their stories) of folks blazing away on the steel challenge at range day with them, and it's just hilarious to watch. On the main demo bay they all got a fairly high round counts with people reaching for extra mags to shoot, which we didn't see much of on the old gun.
    If you need an ad campaign based on something practical (which I doubt you do), why not base it on a concealed carry gun for someone who:

1. Wants a tip-up barrel.
    2. Wants a DA first shot for safety and SA followup shots for ease of shooting.
    3. Has some sensory issues making them extra-sensitive to noise, and wants something with a suppressor which is actually concealable?
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

This isn't exactly my department, but I believe the current thinking is that we would rather spend CCW marketing airtime and focus on platforms with broader appeal to the current US market standards for conceal carry. While the Tomcat is very easy to hide, and there are certain user niches it supports very well, it doesn't work on the macro level. When you take that messaging up to the brand level of "X is the gun that Beretta advertises for concealed carry", a single stack .32acp blowback is not the move.

That's more broadly the domain of something like the 80X Cheetah, APX Compact or the PX4 Compact Carry 2.
    Product Manager: ProShop, Collaborations and Special Projects
    Former R&D designer
    Beretta USA

Site Supporter
    Are you trying to make me buy one? Bad Bill! So far my hands have stood up to shooting. My knees , different story, making the track meet irrelevant to me. I'd have to see one however, the property tax bill arrived today, so it might have to wait.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List