Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWYD: Modern Carbine Cleaning/Maintenance Kit

WWYD: Modern Carbine Cleaning/Maintenance Kit

What items would you include in a field cleaning, maintenance, and repair kit for your AR-15 or similar carbine of your choice?

In a military setting part of your basic loadout is a cleaning kit for your M4. Basically something like this in a little pouch that you keep in your ruck. But the USGI kits kind of suck for various reasons. If you could redesign a USGI style field cleaning kit, what would you include? Not necessarily just for range days, but for spending a few days outside in all conditions.

Here are a few ideas:

-Cleaning rod or bore snake. Personally, I like having a solid rod that could help clear a stuck case, but a bore snake is a lot faster for just clearing mid or snow from the barrel. The Atsko Rapid Rod is kind of a nice compromise and you can’t lose a piece. The FCD sectional rod is interesting as well, but kind of pricy.

-A little bottle of CLP is a mandatory, but since I don’t really clean my AR barrels that often I just keep a bottle of Slip2000 EWL with a solid dropper lid that can’t leak. I also like the tiny bottles that fit in a pistol grip.

-Bore and chamber brushes, patch holder or jags, patches. Or just a bore snake.

-A scraper or cheap folding knife for scraping. Or just use a cleaning rod section.

-A couple extra firing pin retaining pins

-A spare bolt, already headspaced, with cam pin and firing pin

-A broken shell extractor

-12” or so of 550 cord to repair a sling attachment

-Spare batteries

-A bit driver with bits for every fastener on the gun, or equivalent allen keys

-A tool for zeroing the optic, if needed

-Extra turret cap and o-ring for optic, if needed

-Lens pen and lens cleaner

-Extra muzzle caps (if you use them)

-Button flashlight that uses CR2032

-A couple blank rounds for removing a stuck suppressor (maybe a stretch)

Good thread idea

I have a Hillpeople Gear Tool Roll that I can move from pack to pack.
    Twice I’ve taken falls that have ended up with mud in my barrels so I have a Brownells butt stock cleaning kit with a break down rod. I also have one of those pre-blown 2 liter bottle tubes with jags, brushes, and a few patches.

Keep in mind that more damage is done to guns from overzealous cleaning than firing! AR/M4 Bolt tail scraping is particularly problematic. Damaging surfaces via scraping will result in gas pressure inefficiency. Buildup on the bolt and carrier self corrects. The pressure is more than sufficient to remove carbon buildup.

I have some really long pipe cleaners if anyone wants some. Notice I said "wants" and not "needs." 😁

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Keep in mind that more damage is done to guns from overzealous cleaning than firing! AR/M4 Bolt tail scraping is particularly problematic. Damaging surfaces via scraping will result in gas pressure inefficiency. Buildup on the bolt and carrier self corrects. The pressure is more than sufficient to remove carbon buildup.
    Good point. Especially applicable to “carried much, shot little” firearm. And it’s not only damage in the sense of overcleaning causing premature wear. I’ve seen people deadline an M4 by jamming a q-tip in the gas key, trying to twist, and breaking the tip off inside the key. I’ve seen similar with someone trying to clean a gas tube.

I’d say the cleaning rod is really there for clearing bore obstructions or bashing out a stuck case. The cleaning kit in my mind is more of a general maintenance and carbine “first aid” kit if that makes sense. It’s rare to see something like a separated case with good ammo, but you might not have that luxury. I like the ability to perform basic maintenance and fix any likely malfunction.

I guess you could omit the scraper and probably the bore and chamber brushes.

Damaging surfaces via scraping will result in gas pressure inefficiency. Buildup on the bolt and carrier self corrects. The pressure is more than sufficient to remove carbon buildup.
    I would be forever in your debt if you would explain that to my supervisors. We had to fight with them to stop checking guns with fucking drug-store Q-tips.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I have some really long pipe cleaners if anyone wants some. Notice I said "wants" and not "needs." 😁
    Anyone who messes with their AR using pipe cleaners is probably the same person who believes those adverts selling colon cleanser.

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    but for spending a few days outside in all conditions.
    I've got no idea about combat scenarios. If I'm out in the field, I'll have a handgun along with a rifle. All of my lowers are Colt, so everything is standardized across my AR's. I carry a minimum amount of supply/repair things:

field repair kit: https://cmmg.com/parts-kit-ar15-enhanced-field-repair
    oil: https://geissele.com/gjtm-sample-packs.html
    Colt Bolt

Some of the other things you mentioned are part of my standard kit (batteries, cord, multitool, etc.) My optic, laser, rifle light, handheld light, and pistol light use the same batteries, and don't need special adjustment tools. My handheld light and my rifle light can swap heads if one breaks.

I guess if my time in the field were longer, I'd worry more, but I rarely stay out more than a couple days.

Anyone who messes with their AR using pipe cleaners is probably the same person who believes those adverts selling colon cleanser.

…quietly adds colon cleanser to weapon cleaning kit…

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    The Atsko Rapid Rod is kind of a nice compromise and you can’t lose a piece.
    I can't be certain that the rapid assembly rod I looked at was the exact same brand, but the one I've seen seemed much too flimsy to rely on for barrel obstruction removal. Really neat idea, but not nearly sturdy enough.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

User Tag List