Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FLETC's HOTP AAR

erick gelhaus

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Cougar Mountain Solutions' PMO Instructor Course is your answer. @Erick Gelhaus
    Who's that guy?

I've attended numerous PMO end user and instructor courses, and his, by far, was the best. I also got a lot out of Sig Academy's PMO Instructor course (ignore the "reduces mistake of fact" nonsense stuff".
    Thanks, @jlw ... currently my optics instructor class is on the calendar three times this year - Ohio in June, PA in Aug, and OK in December.

I took Sig's instructor class, and it is a good class on shooting dots.

Cougar Mountain Solutions' PMO Instructor Course is your answer. @Erick Gelhaus

I've attended numerous PMO end user and instructor courses, and his, by far, was the best. I also got a lot out of Sig Academy's PMO Instructor course (ignore the "reduces mistake of fact" nonsense stuff".
    Thanks, I'd like to do that too, and hopefully I'll be able to get to one. I'm trying to get to multiple high quality classes (goal 2 per year, beyond what, if any, work sends me to), and not.just PMO specific, as I've picked up good info from multiple people. Since there can be multiple right answers, I like to see the various approaches from high quality instructors.

Site Supporter
    Anyone attended red dot training with Team One Network or NLEFIA? I do realize there's no guarantee we'd have the same instructor. Thanks and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I personally found that people who already had a good index and presentation had a pretty smooth transition from Irons to optic. Whereas people who had difficulty finding the dot did not have efficient presentations, but were able to mask their deficiency more with irons.
    Well, many of our folks, including me, were taught the whole; head down, shoulders rolled forward, create tension in the chest,shoulders, and back, along with bring the gun up front sight high, and "roling" out so the front sight drops down on the press out. I abandoned all that a few years ago, but bad habits persist, and were very apparent when starting on the red dot. Also, we atill have people, including FIs, who believe that is atill the best way. So, we will have some people who will be very frustrated when they take the transition training, or will use inefficient methods to compensate for their poor mechanics.

Luckily, it has been decided that anyone who has irons can try the dot (there is still debate on how long, with suggested times of 3, 6, and 12 months), and if they don't want it, after the trial period, they can stick with irons.
    So, in institutional terms, a red dot transition class is a mechanism to conduct performance (or remedial) training for that other 80% of the class while making it more palatable under the guise of new equipment training.
    That is how our SIG 229/226 to Glock transition went. It was 4 days, and was "sold" as all that time and ammo was needed due to the "huge" differences between the two.systems.

Now we.are being told the PMO transition will be half that. I wish they would give us at least an additional day, both because for many the transition to the optic really is a "huge" change, and also to get some of that "performance/remedial" training.

My questions will be in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

Initial Mag prep is 12, 12, 11 (pocket, front, back)

Is the initial load with the 12-round mag from the pocket?

HOTP Course Target

Stage 2 –
    5y One Step to 11 o’clock pos, 2 rounds center mass 2 sec

Is this a diagonal forward left step?

5y One Step to 4 o’clock pos, 2 rounds center mass 2 sec

Diagonal rear and right?

Stage 5 –
    12y – 7y Shooting while moving 5 rounds 4.5 sec
    7y – 12 y Shooting while moving 5 rounds 4 sec

Forward from 12 and backward from seven?

 Head shots will be marked after each stage has been completed. i.e. once the line is
    done shooting at the 7-yard line instructors will mark the head shots while the students
    move yard lines.

How much time was spent swapping targets and marking headshots?

This seems like a complicated course to administer. Did participants have trouble grasping it?

Also, it seems the feds have a propensity for 60-round courses which just seems like an odd choice as it means partial boxes of ammo, but then again, my state has had a 30-round course since 2004.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Anyone attended red dot training with Team One Network or NLEFIA? I do realize there's no guarantee we'd have the same instructor. Thanks and be safe.
    I've had no luck with NLEFIA. I tried to host a course and couldn't get enough for it to make, and I signed up for course elsewhere that didn't make. These may be oddball instances as it seems most of their classes fill, but they don't get a lot of mention in my web travels.

I've done one class with Team One, but it wasn't a dot class, and it was a long time ago.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Also, it seems the feds have a propensity for 60-round courses . . .
    Not all the feds, just FLETC. My agency has had a 50 round course since long before I got hired.

Our lead FITP FLETC Cheltenham claimed the 60 rounds was based off the original revolver centric courses designed in the 1970s, and FLETC will always keep the round counts, and distances the same because they "have four decades of data to bring to court" if.someone is being prosecuted or sued regarding an office involved shooting.

That seems a bit ridiculous as I am unaware of any case where that kind of data was relevant in either a civil or criminal trial. I know quality and frequency of training might be a factor, but needing the round count and distances to stay constant does not seem relevant. However that instructor was adamant that data was very important, for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Not all the feds, just FLETC. My agency has had a 50 round course since long before I got hired.

Our lead FITP FLETC Cheltenham claimed the 60 rounds was based off the original revolver centric courses designed in the 1970s, and FLETC will always keep the round counts, and distances the same because they "have four decades of data to bring to court" if.someone is being prosecuted or sued regarding an office involved shooting.

That seems a bit ridiculous as I am unaware of any case where that kind of data was relevant in either a civil or criminal trial. I know quality and frequency of training might be a factor, but needing the round count and distances to stay constant does not seem relevant. However that instructor was adamant that data was very important, for that reason.
    The FBI was previously shooting a 60-round course. I'll dig out my FITP binder as I seem to recall the agency quals in it were 60 rounders, but I may be misremembering.

The FBI was previously shooting a 60-round course. I'll dig out my FITP binder as I seem to recall the agency quals in it were 60 rounders, but I may be misremembering.
    It’s a mixed bag. The previous FBI course was 60 rounds. In 2019 they switched to a 50 round course. ICE shoots a 50 round course. I believe FAMS shoots the regular 60 round FLETC qual course. No idea about DEA, ATF, USSS, CBP, etc.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

USBP shoots a fifty round qual. I believe OFO does as well.

User Tag List