Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FLETC's HOTP AAR

FLETC's HOTP AAR

As most of us know, pistol mounted optics are not the future of law-enforcement handguns, in many cases, they are the here and now. Some agencies have yet to embrace this fact, but many larger institutions are coming around and developing organic training programs, or utilizing existing subject matter experts to ease the transition for agency wide implementation.

About me- I'm a full time law enforcement firearms instructor. I've served in that role since August of 2018, both as a sworn Field Training Officer, and as a non-sworn GS employee. I've been shooting pistol-mounted optics since the late summer of 2019, and to be completely candid with the reader, I was a late adopter because I was skeptical about the efficacy, durability and reliability of pistol mounted optics in general. Since that time, I've educated myself on the way of the dot, and trained with industry professionals such as Scott Jedlinski of Modern Samurai Project, and my peers at Green Ops, and I've seen quantifiable gains in my pistol shooting in that time. I've taken ownership of the pistol-mounted optics program within my agency, and was looking forward to FLETC offering their standalone optics program.

Last week, I had the opportunity to attend FLETC's Handgun Optic Training Program at their training facility in Cheltenham, MD. I've waited to attend this course for over a year, and was looking forward to it. This review is not broken down day by day, and not every single thing in the class is covered, but rather a general overview is offered.

The course was for my agency, and 12 students were in attendance. Equipment wise, I was shooting my agency issued GLOCK 47, with ACRO P-2 and Streamlight TLR-7A, carried in the excellent SafariVault holster.

The lead instructor, John Hill, was perfectly suited to teach this course. He's a Grandmaster in various disciplines in USPSA, and John is a shooter, a thinker, and he challenges his students from the first few seconds on the range. This was not a basic class, and very high standards in terms of self-diagnosis, weapons handling and skill at arms were expected.

John's approach to the dot was nuanced- we didn't turn on the dot and start blazing away. Many of these types of classes literally say "Focus on the target and not the dot. Ok, now go zero." This results in...........shooter focusing on the dot. We, as instructors, are our own worst enemy.

We spent several hours with the dot off, forcing the student to develop a natural index behind the pistol, as well as 100% speed on all draws from the very beginning. This also served to give the student confidence to make hits on target from 1.5 - 10 yards with a downed optic in a VERY compressed time frame.

Once the class was able to confidently get their hits with the dot off, we turned them on, and John explained that the dot gives you, the end user, a tremendous amount of information, should you choose to listen to it. We were also cautioned not to be overwhelmed by the information the dot was showing us.

With the dot on, a cursory zero drill was conducted at 10 yards, but it was emphasized that we would not be spending an inordinate amount of time putting clicks on the gun, because we're not shooting at Camp Perry. Without exception, everyone was mechanically zeroed, or had to make extremely minute adjustments to the ACRO. As many instructors know, you can chase a zero all day, but no amount of clicks on the gun will make up for moving the pistol while pressing the trigger.

After zero confirmation, shooting on the move, shooting strong and support hand, and multiple threat/ sequence shooting were all conducted, with the same high standards of speed and accuracy. Shooting a bullseye at 25? That's nice. Here's your 2 second par time.

The course, like many others, culminates in a qualification course of fire. The HOTP qualification is hands down my absolute favorite. To pass, you must be FAST and accurate. All of the tropes that some range instructors like to dole out like steaming bowls of mediocrity (take your time), (slow is smooth, and smooth is fast) ain't gonna cut it in this course. Be fast. Be accurate. Jam mags, and get back on the line.

If you are a partner agency with FLETC, and are even thinking about putting dots on pistols, have John Hill teach your range staff in the ways of the dot. I enjoyed this class so much I am signing back up to take it again.

Once again- thank you to John Hill for putting on this amazing course, and to FLETC for offering it.

Are you able to share the HOTP qual COF? I searched, and this thread was the second result that showed up.
    Taking a break from social media.

Apologies for dragging ass in posting the qual. Here it is;

Handgun Optic Training Program

Course of Fire

All stages will start in the holster and be fired two (2) handed unless otherwise specified and all
    stages will require off-line movement with the draw unless otherwise specified. 60 round
    course of fire. 300 possible points

Initial Mag prep is 12, 12, 11 (pocket, front, back)

HOTP Course Target

Stage 1 –
    3y Off-line 3 rounds chest 2 head 3 sec

Stage 2 –
    5y One Step to 11 o’clock pos, 2 rounds center mass 2 sec
    5y One Step to 4 o’clock pos, 2 rounds center mass 2 sec
    5y Off-line R, 3 rounds center mass, reload, 3 rounds center mass 5 sec
    5y Draw and fire 3 rounds strong hand only, 3 sec
    5y Ready gun, 3 rounds support hand only 3 sec
    Pick up empty magazine

Stage 3 –
    7y Off-line R 3 rounds to the head 3.5 sec
    Emergency Reload w/11 round magazine
    7y One step Rear 2 rounds to the chest, 1 round to the head 3.5 sec
    7y One step forward 6 rounds center mass 3 sec

 Prep empty mags 16 & 4. 16 round magazine should be in front 4 round magazine in
    the back.

 Score the front half of the course. 33 rounds / Possible 165 points available. Once
    scored put up new targets to shoot the back half.

Handgun Optic Training Program

Course of Fire

Stage 4 –
    10y Off-line L 2 rounds to the head 3.5 sec
    Emergency Reload to the 16rnd mag
    10y Off-line R 2 rounds center mass, 2 Rounds head 5.5 sec
    Prep empty mag with 5 rounds. 4 round mag in the front and 5 round mag in the back pouch.

Stage 5 –
    12y – 7y Shooting while moving 5 rounds 4.5 sec
    7y – 12 y Shooting while moving 5 rounds 4 sec

Stage 6 –
    15y Right Side Barricade, 2 standing, reload, 2 kneeling 8 sec
    15y Left Side Barricade, 2 standing, reload, 2 kneeling 8 sec

Stage 7 –
    25y 1 round center mass 2 sec

 Score the back half of the course. 27 total rounds / Possible 135 points available.
    Target will be the HOTP Target, scoring will be;

 Black bulls eye (X, 10,9,8 rings) and head shots (there are 10 total) above neck line = 5
    points. Any additional head shots will be scored as 1 point. Any Missed head shots will
    be scored as a miss, zero points.

 Head shots will be marked after each stage has been completed. i.e. once the line is
    done shooting at the 7-yard line instructors will mark the head shots while the students
    move yard lines.

 7ring = 3 points, Remainder of target = 1 point

300 possible points. Passing is 80% = 240 points

 Scoring round must touch the line to count and all standard FLETC alibies will apply.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 02-10-2024 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks for for your review.

I'm tentatively scheduled to attend our agency's transition course late this summer. I am wishing I could also attend this course, and compare contrast it with what we are doing.

I've attended the Modern Samurai Project class, and a class put on by a local PD who has had PMOs for over four years. I'd like to do more than just depend on what we come up with" in house," as I will be tasked with helping others in the wider transition in the field.

@Kyle Reese
    Any suggestions on where one might find the HOTP target ?

The target looks worth keeping around.
    Thank you in advance.
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    @Kyle Reese
    Any suggestions on where one might find the HOTP target ?

The target looks worth keeping around.
    Thank you in advance.
    To the best of my knowledge, they are produced by DHS in house. I’ll reach out to some FI friends at FLETC and see if and when they’re going to be commercially available via third party vendors.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, they are produced by DHS in house. I’ll reach out to some FI friends at FLETC and see if and when they’re going to be commercially available via third party vendors.
    Which means it’s probably actually produced by either lighthouse for the blind (of a similar non profit) or UNICOR (federal prison industries).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post

I'm tentatively scheduled to attend our agency's transition course late this summer. I am wishing I could also attend this course, and compare contrast it with what we are doing.

I've attended the Modern Samurai Project class, and a class put on by a local PD who has had PMOs for over four years. I'd like to do more than just depend on what we come up with" in house," as I will be tasked with helping others in the wider transition in the field.
    When our agency was developing our transition program a few years ago, in addition to MSP our folks went to train with Sage Dynamics and Dan Smith of Centrifuge training. Not sure where you are in the country but I’ve also heard good feedback about the more recent iterations of the red dot training program at the SIG Academy.

There is some criticism from some people in the performance, shooting world of red Dot, specific classes, particularly red dot classes for law enforcement.

In my experience, they are technically right, but practically wrong. It’s true that maybe 20% of most red dot classes is red dot specific, including my own agency transition class.

However, most LE agencies are not full of performance shooters, who dry fire and train on their own time. They’re made up of people who shoot because they have to or get paid tO. They also operate on the law of primacy i.e. what’s learned first is learned best. So ….. people doing things from shooting the old 1990s “tactical turtle” isosceles cop stances to pinning the trigger etc. I personally found that people who already had a good index and presentation had a pretty smooth transition from Irons to optic. Whereas people who had difficulty finding the dot did not have efficient presentations, but were able to mask their deficiency more with irons.

So, in institutional terms, a red dot transition class is a mechanism to conduct performance (or remedial) training for that other 80% of the class while making it more palatable under the guise of new equipment training.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post

Cougar Mountain Solutions' PMO Instructor Course is your answer. @Erick Gelhaus

I've attended numerous PMO end user and instructor courses, and his, by far, was the best. I also got a lot out of Sig Academy's PMO Instructor course (ignore the "reduces mistake of fact" nonsense stuff".
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Cougar Mountain Solutions' PMO Instructor Course is your answer. @Erick Gelhaus

I've attended numerous PMO end user and instructor courses, and his, by far, was the best. I also got a lot out of Sig Academy's PMO Instructor course (ignore the "reduces mistake of fact" nonsense stuff".
    Just registered, looking forward to it

User Tag List