Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: .32 vs .38

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    What, that this is "Hipster Central"?
    For handguns? Where else?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I dont even mess with my .38 J-frames (640-1 and 49) anymore. Not because I am afraid of capacity or the caliber, I frickin' love .38special. But ever since a friend let me shoot one of those pricey .32HRM S&W Js (I cant remember the model number), I've felt that it was perfect. The 6th round is icing on the cake, but the cake is a lower recoiling gun with a very capable pistol round. An acquaintance that recently passed away gave me some .32HRM brass, dies, and some projectiles for a project where I was gonna try to convert my 49 to .32HRM. So now that the new 432s are coming, why not work one of those in?

I like my .327 for versatility as a field gun, but I'm all but done with revolvers as CCW guns.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    So if you could have an otherwise identical revolver in .38 or .32, which way would you go? Obvious things that come to mind are cheaper ammo and snake shot available for the .38, and an extra cartridge and Buffalo Bore wadcutters for the .32.

Thoughts?
    Before my health/age related issues I would and did go with 38 handsdown.

Now I am not so certain, I'd like to switch to 32 for less recoil, but at current moment really shouldn't spend the money on something like that.

My G26's still work for most of my pocket carry needs and don't bother me pain wise, and I can shoot the 38 Airwt J frame still, it will just semi cripple my hand for week+ after doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I like my .327 for versatility as a field gun, but I'm all but done with revolvers as CCW guns.
    Me too, as far as primary carry guns. I use my 642 mostly as a BUG. Once a week I wear a 43C in an Enigma to a yoga class. It carries three more rounds and I’d rather not carry my Spegel grips where they could get a little sweaty.

I think the answer to this conundrum is the small frame .38 six shooter (the D frame sized revolvers).

.38 Special is honestly my favorite cartridge. A full power 158 grain load in a medium frame revolver is a thing of beauty. It does just about anything you need a handgun to do (outside of bear country) without the blast and recoil of a .357 Magnum. A mild wadcutter in a J or D frame size revolver also gives good penetration with mild recoil and report. There are also other great loadings on the market as well.

Throw in ammo pricing/availability, and it will be hard for the normal gun buyer to make the switch to a .32.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    For handguns? Where else?

I started to say.....
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

My 640 probably has the most time carried by me, it was a briefcase gun for fifteen years. But my 442 gets more carry now despite my hating actually shooting the thing. I still have a place for a small defensive revolver, the new .32 version has a lot of appeal.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

.32 H&R ballistics from a 2" barrel are far from impressive...more of a compromise than I'm willing to make for one more in the cylinder.

Site Supporter
    I am a fan of the 32s. I bought a 432 when they were being discontinued way back when for about $309. It is a very light and comfortable J frame for pocket carry. It's loaded with a 32 H&R Mag 80gr FTX Critical Defense as that was available. I am going to change to a Buffalo Bore wadcutters. When I practice, I shoot SW 32 Longs - Fiocchi. The sights are fixed but dolled up with orange.

I prefer it for lightness as compared to my 642 (not that I dislike that gun - loaded with Buffalo Bore snubbie wadcutters). Got speed loaders and strips for both for extra ammo in another pocket. I wear pants with lots of pockets.

I also have and have mentioned several times I have a SW 632, 3 inch as seen below. I modified it with a fiber optic front and white U on black rear sight.

Name:  632.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  68.5 KB

It is a hiking gun with Buffalo Bore 327s. While the local black bear is a fantasy probably (they do make it to the trails but not problems in years), the gun is comfy on my belt. I have small hands and I had a SW Model 19. It was a good gun, shot well after some work done. However, I like the six shot J frame size better for me. The 19 was too big for EDC for me. The 632 fit in its niche. I got it at Cabelas, they ran an ad for them at about $700 something as a companion to the 432 - I got it.

I've mentioned before that when you shoot it with full power 327s, it is ferocious. It slaps your hand if you don't expect the recoil (learned that) and it's loud and flashy in some rounds - Federal or Hornady.

Thus, for me and my size - it's the belt revolver. The 432 is the pocket gun of choice. Motivated now to take the 632 to our mini match - 3 stages, 60 rounds. SW 32 Longs though as the range director said NO magnum rounds indoors.

Would I buy one of the new ones, no - because I have these two. If I didn't, I might.

Folks are waiting for the NAA announcement and against speculating on a 32 HR mini revolver. As we know, their old prototype was a flop. If a new one is closer to J frame size - why? I frame maybe. But who knows.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List