Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: .32 vs .38

This video from Chris Baker is worth (re)watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz_m4M8CAe0

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    There are fast guns and slow guns. There also fast chronographs and slow chronographs. All results posted are within margins of error.

I shoot a lot of 22 LR over the chrono looking for the magic, most accurate ammo. I have several rifles and they all shoot the same exact lot of ammos at different speeds.

When I get a nice day I'm going to chrono using both my Garmin and Competition Electronics at the same time just for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I would be really interested in seeing what difference, if any, you get doing the side by side comparison.

I've counted on my CE for a number of years and historically got results that aligned with known velocities from known platforms.

RJ and all here deserve correct data.
    Today was a nice day, even though a little cold. I set up both Chronographs so I could shoot out of my garage window using a bench rest. Each shot was recorded on both chronographs at the same time. First I shot 70 rounds of different brands of 22 LR rimfire from my CZ 457. Velocities were consistently reading within 3 to 5 fps of each other for all rounds fired. I would look at the reading from the Competition Electronics and I would know without looking that the Garmin reading would be 3 to 5 fps faster. It was consistent for every shot.

38 Special ammo was just as consistent between chronographs. Today 6 shots of 148 grain Fed GMM averaged 661 fps from my 2" Taurus 856. A couple of days ago it was 665 fps. This was recent manufacture in the gold box. I had some left of older manufacture red box Fed GMM. It was 665 fps today. A couple of times on different days in the past the same ammo was 601 and 607 fps in a 1 7/8" S&W 442. The 442 is a slower gun.

The GMM shot to the tip of the front sight on my Taurus 856 with the Ameriglo front sight at 25 yards on an A/C steel IPSC target. The first group looked to be around 3" or so. I also shot some Gold Dot 135 +P. Velocity was 840 fps and it was hitting 8" to 12" low with a poor group. It wasn't as pleasant to shoot either.

It's interesting to see that there was a 30 fps spread between the slowest and fastest shot in each cylinder full. So, if i would happen to get a cylinder full of the fastest rounds, compared to a cylinder full of the slowest rounds, my average velocity would be much different. Things aren't always as exact as we would like them to be.

Today was a nice day, even though a little cold. I set up both Chronographs so I could shoot out of my garage window using a bench rest. Each shot was recorded on both chronographs at the same time. First I shot 70 rounds of different brands of 22 LR rimfire from my CZ 457. Velocities were consistently reading within 3 to 5 fps of each other for all rounds fired. I would look at the reading from the Competition Electronics and I would know without looking that the Garmin reading would be 3 to 5 fps faster. It was consistent for every shot.

38 Special ammo was just as consistent between chronographs. Today 6 shots of 148 grain Fed GMM averaged 661 fps from my 2" Taurus 856. A couple of days ago it was 665 fps. This was recent manufacture in the gold box. I had some left of older manufacture red box Fed GMM. It was 665 fps today. A couple of times on different days in the past the same ammo was 601 and 607 fps in a 1 7/8" S&W 442. The 442 is a slower gun.

The GMM shot to the tip of the front sight on my Taurus 856 with the Ameriglo front sight at 25 yards on an A/C steel IPSC target. The first group looked to be around 3" or so. I also shot some Gold Dot 135 +P. Velocity was 840 fps and it was hitting 8" to 12" low with a poor group. It wasn't as pleasant to shoot either.

It's interesting to see that there was a 30 fps spread between the slowest and fastest shot in each cylinder full. So, if i would happen to get a cylinder full of the fastest rounds, compared to a cylinder full of the slowest rounds, my average velocity would be much different. Things aren't always as exact as we would like them to be.
    Thank you!

This will give me a solid comparative baseline if I can get out and chrono tomorrow.

I think I'll toss a box of the .38 spl Winchester Ranger 130 gr +P (RA38B) into my range bag as well.

It looks to be nearly 60 tomorrow with some sunshine. Looking forward to the results.
    I don't doubt at all that my GGM will give similar velocities as yours. But it'll be interesting to see if my LCR is "faster" than my 640 across the board, or not.

I'll list each reading as that's good data to include r/t each cylinder full. Thanks for that!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    I like that fellow's videos -- he does a good job.

Yes, your Fed GMM is standard pressure. Here is an example of a +P higher pressure load at @Lost River's site. https://www.lostriverammocompany.com...utters-100-RND
    Im pretty sure thats the round he recommended for my steel 101 in 357. I doubt it would be pleasant in a lw 38. For myself I quit worrying about if its going to open or not and go for penatration.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Related side quest:

Friends,

I put a bunch of 32 H&R wadcutters up on the website yesterday. more than half have already sold, but for those who were asking to let it be known here, I am letting everyone know.

Been a bit busy as of late, but will catch up on posting and check in with everyone soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Friends,

I put a bunch of 32 H&R wadcutters up on the website yesterday. more than half have already sold, but for those who were asking to let it be known here, I am letting everyone know.

Been a bit busy as of late, but will catch up on posting and check in with everyone soon!!
    Order placed. Thanks for the heads up, Ted.

ETA: I’m getting older, so I may have just imagined it, but was there also a 32 S&W Long offering not long ago? If so, will that be returning?

Cheers
    Last edited by StraitR; 02-05-2024 at 11:36 PM.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/32-sw...er-bellot-sb32

@Stephanie B posted these recently in one of these .32 threads.

User Tag List