Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: .32 vs .38

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    @Lost River - please please please set up a stock notification functionality.
    I just sent your message to the guys who design/ do the website stuff for me. I absolutely agree that it is a feature that NEEDS to be available.

BTW, I have a large quantity of .32 components shipping in. My main supplier decided to send my last order to "backorder" w/o notifying me, so I have had to scramble to locate some other sources. Back on track now fortunately. Plus after a video dropped, I got wiped out! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If it doesn't perform well, it'd probably be worth it to just go with wadcutters.
    Yeah it looks like a good baseline.

The posts with gel data are promising. The American Rifleman link matches what Shaw Dodson was saying about the 85gr Federal load. The Buffalo Bore "+P" 100gr JHP looks like it's getting in the low .40s and ~16" through both bare gel and heavy clothing, but it's knocking on the door of .327-level spicy. Not sure I'd want to shoot that in an aluminum gun. Maybe promising for a steel-frame LCR.

If the goal is lighter recoil the wadcutter may well be it. You can hot rod a .32 H&R magnum to get a JHP to perform, but it looks like if you do you're losing most of the benefit (except the 6th round).

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've broken my hand twice and am cognizant of the fact that wear and tear on my hand now affects quality of life later on a compounding basis.

LCR is more comfortable, at least with the OEM grip, to me. When I retire, I'll change to wadcutters to reduce recoil further, but am policy dictated to carry 'quality expanding ammunition' for now.
    Same reason I’ll be getting a 432UC with @rhamre high horn grips with my version of the @Lost Rivercentennial recoil mod… limbsaver pad on the backstrap.

Turning the page on 50 earlier this month, the bump and grind of life has caught up with me physically. Back, hands, vision, all in noticeable decline. It is what it is, so I have no gripes. For weight/comfort reasons (lower back), I’ve become a J frame convert over the last few years, having a no-lock 638 on me more often than anything. But, as many have pointed out, it’s not something I especially enjoy shooting for extended range trips, as my hands are stiff for a few days if I overdo it.

Already had my firearm purveyor place an order with Lipsey’s for a 432UC. Now to find some 32 long WC ammo while keeping an eye on @Lost River website.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Already had my firearm purveyor place an order with Lipsey’s for a 432UC. Now to find some 32 long WC ammo while keeping an eye on @Lost River website.
    Question: Which is the better way to go; arranging a group buy or going through our LGSs? A group buy might have a better chance of being filled. On the other hand, we're all paying shipping and FFL transfer fees that add up to $50-$80 apiece. It used to be mitigated by not having to pay state sales tax on an out-of-state purchase, but those days are gone.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The first LGS I checked said lipsey’s wasn’t allowing them to place orders for these.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Any idea on what this does in gel out of a 2" barrel? Even if just bare gel / heavy clothing / 4LD?

About 850 fps from 2-inch snub

Expansion to .40 cal.

Stops in 4th gallon water jug.

You can get same performance from .32 S&W Long with 3 grains of Bullseye and 85 XTP in your S&W Model 30 or with 3 grains of AutoComp or Unique in a .32 ACP.

Site Supporter
    The .32 seems to be what Bill Jordan hoped a .22 mag. J-frame would be, or perhaps better. .32 mag. seems to have energy levels roughly equal to standard pressure .38 spl., and many here seem to prefer the standard pressure .38 in the lightweight guns. If limited to that power level, it is not hard to imagine the difference between 5 shots and 6 becoming important.

I just checked a few online ammo suppliers. All had some form of .38 spl., but some had absolutely no .32. For that reason, I would tend to recommend .38 to a non-dedicated shooter who is not likely to buy ammunition in quantities of at least multiple hundred rounds at a time.

The last time a .32 J-frame was attempted, it was discontinued. I assume this was due to sales volume not justifying continued production?

In the spirit of Pistol-Forum enabling, perhaps the beast answer is one of each.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The .32 seems to be what Bill Jordan hoped a .22 mag. J-frame would be, or perhaps better. .32 mag. seems to have energy levels roughly equal to standard pressure .38 spl., and many here seem to prefer the standard pressure .38 in the lightweight guns. If limited to that power level, it is not hard to imagine the difference between 5 shots and 6 becoming important.

I just checked a few online ammo suppliers. All had some form of .38 spl., but some had absolutely no .32. For that reason, I would tend to recommend .38 to a non-dedicated shooter who is not likely to buy ammunition in quantities of at least multiple hundred rounds at a time.

The last time a .32 J-frame was attempted, it was discontinued. I assume this was due to sales volume not justifying continued production?

In the spirit of Pistol-Forum enabling, perhaps the beast answer is one of each.
    I think we will see one or more major manufacturers coming to the party. Think chicken and egg.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I use the .32s for the same purposes that " normal people " would use a .22 rimfire for. With today's higher replacement cost for quality . .22 LR ammo loading for .32 S&W Long is more cost effective. The .32s are far more effective on larger small game animals and varmints than squirrels or bunnies and are stone killers on groundhogs, coyote, feral dogs, etc. I do not view the .32s as my first choice for personal defense, but they are FAR superior to any rimfire if they must of necessity, be forced into such roles.

With handloads the payload and velocity approximates of the .32 S&W Long approximates the .380 ACP or .32-20, with 3 grains of Bullseye producing 900 fps with 90-grain bullet from a 4-inch gun. A steel frame .32 ACP with 3.4" barrel does likewise with 3 grains of AutoComp or Unique.

The Models 30 and 31 S&Ws, are close to.perfection. Accurate 31-090B is THE bullet of choice in .32 ACP, .32 S&W Long, H&R Magnum, and .32-20.

Name:  20240124_214127~2.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  26.5 KBName:  31-090B-D.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  23.0 KB
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-24-2024 at 10:14 PM.

User Tag List