Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: .32 vs .38

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    …but I'm all but done with revolvers as CCW guns.
    I’d love to hear more on your reasoning, if you feel so moved.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    EDC in the urban environments and a belt gun - I'm on the side of the semi and extra mags. Revolvers are for pocket dress circumstance or a walk in the woods. Just my opinion. Am I helpless with a revolver - NO. But if it's a belt gun, a semi gives you more for the space envelope. What does a big old SW Model 19 give me as compared to my G17s.

Flame war diversion - 32 in pocket for fun, not a razor in my shoe. Delicas in other pockets.

If you watch a Korean monster, zombie movie - watch them fight with J frames.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I like my .327 for versatility as a field gun, but I'm all but done with revolvers as CCW guns.
    I hear that. I screw around with revolvers and some other rifle and shotgun stuff but it's just because I'm interested. I can read all day about it but unless I can load for it and shoot it, it doesn't mean much. I purposely purchased a 31-1 (32 SWL) just to see what it was all about. I found out. It's easy to shoot. But if you want a good SD revolver a K frame or what ever the Colt, Taurus, Ruger equivalent is, that's the answer.

The 19-3 snubbie (K frame) I have is a perfect 38 spl revolver. I shoot it with 38 spl loads (some pretty hot) and it's a perfect combination of recoil and accuracy.

Single stack 9mm makes sense here if you want compact, easy to shoot with 8-10 capacity.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-21-2024 at 09:21 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

If I lived east of the Rockies, then I'd seriously consider 32.

Rationale: Back when I was in an office environment most weekdays (pre-pandemic), a 38 J-frame was my typical carry. I played with 32 a little back then, and still have a set of dies on the reloading shelves. Now that I'm semi-retired and rarely in NPE's anymore thats become a moot point, and it's fairly easy to conceal here in the mild coastal climate. So I have other choices.

When I'm in a revolver mood, which is fairly often, I like the versatility of 38/357. In a D-frame Colt (3-inch King Cobra) I can carry six of anything from mild 38 wadcutters to heavy 357 solids and it hides better than a typical semi. For woods purposes, non-lead is a thing here and there are multiple good 38/357 options; if there's a good non-lead option in 32 I'm not aware of it (but haven't looked too hard in quite a while) and if still true that by itself is a deal killer for me. I hike a lot in Condor country where it's potentially enforced. Anywhere in the mountain west though, if it's a revolver I'd want bigger then 32 for beyond the trailhead, and larger/heavier than a J-frame. Yes I tried 327 Federal (in a SP-101) and found it unpleasant.

On the other hand, if I lived in the heartland where there are lots of large population centers and nothing non-human that's bigger than dogs/coyotes then a 32 pocket gun would be very tempting. But I don't, and I already have too many guns/calibers.

ETA: A quick search just now found an Xtreme Defender option, but that seems a little light for most parts of this state.
    Last edited by Salamander; 01-22-2024 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’d love to hear more on your reasoning, if you feel so moved.

Sent you a PM, buddy.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Having a battery of steel detectives and alloy Colt D frame Agents all tuned and stocked to my tastes, that I have accumulated over 30+ years just ruins this whole .32 thing for me. I am not getting on this bus.

If I want the extra shot in a small concealable revolver I already have it and it is a .38 with all the ammo options that provides. If this new Kimber alloy frame gun proves itself that would be one more option in the same size range.

I get the lower recoil thing, but I am just not there yet I guess. Federal Gold Medal match 148wc in any of my Colts is pretty darn low recoil, especially the detectives.

I too wish Ruger had the sense to make the LCR a 6 shooter from the start, but they were playing the me too game against the J frame when they really had a chance to utterly murder the J frame in the market by upsizing just a tiny bit to be a 6 shot.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

The problem with the modern revolver cartridge is, it’s too darn long. They were only made longer to prevent being chambered in their predecessor revolvers. However, the 38 special is entrenched as THE standard revolver defense cartridge.

Not the first time I have done this…….unfortunately

I just sold off EVERYTHING related to 32SW L&S and 32H&R. I literally gave it away at the price asked for it. I sold the LCRs cause I just didn’t like them in that caliber. I loaded up on five different WC bullet designs to reload up the perfect loading for my 640s and 60s. I’m all in with the 38 Special!

So why am I thinking of two of the these ultimate 632s and browsing for Starline brass? At least it’s not me going back to one of my exes!

Seriously, I would pay for ANYONE of these ultimate j frames. And sure I will get two of the 642s and two of the 632s. I did sell off all of my 32 reloading stuff to a member here. Was getting ready for a divorce needed to down size. I didn’t think the LCR in 327mag was a bad pistol, just too heavy for the loads I shot, and didn’t have the grip options that worked for me. But in the LCRs defense, the 640/60 is too heavy for the 38 loads I shoot and I had to do some homemade add ons to their grips as well. But the j frame is my first love/hate and I will still with it. Who knows, maybe Ruger WILL offer the LCR with the lighter alloy frame in 32H&R. I would be a Beta Tester for it.

Another negative I didn’t like about the 32, and still don’t, it the smaller size of the cases. Yeah, duh. But for my damaged, strength compromised, RA riddled hands it sucks trying to handle the 32 cases at the range or reloading. And it will only get worste. I’m even going to 357 cases for my 38 WC loads due to the added length that makes it easier for me to handle. So that has to be figured in as well. I can always just buy more 32 speed strips and speed loaders and have them preloaded before range use. And just buy ammo to keep the reloading stuff down.

This is a personal nick pick, but I don’t like that back sight. I played with a 640 Pro and I much prefer my 640 with an orange XS front sight over the white or green front sights. I noticed I was snagging the Pro’s back sight on most of my pocket draws. I think I could move my thumb over to cover the back sight during the draw, like I use to do when covering the hammer on so equipped j frames. So that’s a work around. Everyone is different, but my eyes just don’t pick up green like they use to. But I’m sure XS will offer a replacement front sight in orange and white. Better yet, a nice DP red fiber optic front sight! But still the new green XS sight is MUCH better than the factory ramp with Dollar General orange nail polish in it.

So yeah, I will get two of each. LOL plus a couple of the new Beretta 30Xs and a pair of what else I see.

Jerry
    Last edited by PTSDog; 01-22-2024 at 07:27 AM.
    Professionally Trained Service Dog. Not dogs with issues! LOL unless you are talking about my mutts.

Site Supporter
    I've had the chance to think it over...the .32 is of not all that much more use to me. The recoil? Ehhhh I can get stuff from mild to wild in .38. The higher capacity? If I wanted higher capacity in a pocket gun, there are numerous small autos to consider...My LCP custom holds 7 rounds...an LCP max holds up to 10.

And then there's the thought of terminal performance....I know at least one poster here who contends that a .380 or .38 special is sufficient to break a femur and is thus the smallest caliber they'd carry and that sounds pretty reasonable. I'm uncertain of the ability of a .32 long wadcutter to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by PTSDog View Post
    I just sold off EVERYTHING related to 32SW L&S and 32H&R. I literally gave it away at the price asked for it. I sold the LCRs cause I just didn’t like them in that caliber. I loaded up on five different WC bullet designs to reload up the perfect loading for my 640s and 60s. I’m all in with the 38 Special!

So why am I thinking of two of the these ultimate 632s and browsing for Starline brass? At least it’s not me going back to one of my exes!

Seriously, I would pay for ANYONE of these ultimate j frames. And sure I will get two of the 642s and two of the 632s. I did sell off all of my 32 reloading stuff to a member here. Was getting ready for a divorce needed to down size. I didn’t think the LCR in 327mag was a bad pistol, just too heavy for the loads I shot, and didn’t have the grip options that worked for me. But in the LCRs defense, the 640/60 is too heavy for the 38 loads I shoot and I had to do some homemade add ons to their grips as well. But the j frame is my first love/hate and I will still with it. Who knows, maybe Ruger WILL offer the LCR with the lighter alloy frame in 32H&R. I would be a Beta Tester for it.

Another negative I didn’t like about the 32, and still don’t, it the smaller size of the cases. Yeah, duh. But for my damaged, strength compromised, RA riddled hands it sucks trying to handle the 32 cases at the range or reloading. And it will only get worste. I’m even going to 357 cases for my 38 WC loads due to the added length that makes it easier for me to handle. So that has to be figured in as well. I can always just buy more 32 speed strips and speed loaders and have them preloaded before range use. And just buy ammo to keep the reloading stuff down.

This is a personal nick pick, but I don’t like that back sight. I played with a 640 Pro and I much prefer my 640 with an orange XS front sight over the white or green front sights. I noticed I was snagging the Pro’s back sight on most of my pocket draws. I think I could move my thumb over to cover the back sight during the draw, like I use to do when covering the hammer on so equipped j frames. So that’s a work around. Everyone is different, but my eyes just don’t pick up green like they use to. But I’m sure XS will offer a replacement front sight in orange and white. Better yet, a nice DP red fiber optic front sight! But still the new green XS sight is MUCH better than the factory ramp with Dollar General orange nail polish in it.

So yeah, I will get two of each. LOL plus a couple of the new Beretta 30Xs and a pair of what else I see.

Jerry
    As the recipient of Jerry’s .32 sell off, I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. I also just bought a unicorn 432 for a reasonable $620 and am super psyched about these new 432UC models.

Semi-patiently awaiting @rhamre high horn hooked & hookless grips since they’ll weigh less than the VZ G10 on the Lipseys guns.

User Tag List