Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: .32 vs .38

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I just bought 160 rounds of the Federal personal defense 85 grain load, that the revolvers were regulated for, from SGAmmo. They had a Hornady Critical Defense load, is that as good as the Federal?
    The Underappreciated .32 Magnums | An Official Journal Of The NRA
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...ed-32-magnums/

Site Supporter
    If ammo was of equal supply and equal cost, then no question I would opt for the .32. Less recoil and and an extra round would make it worth it, especially in a revolver that could be as small and light as possible.

Since .32 is far from king, I think .38 and 9mm revolvers make more sense for most people.

If the .32 becomes more popular and manufacturers really push the round and revolvers in it, then we can have some real change.

We need some “influencers” who realize that many, if not most, shooters would be better off with quality revolvers and triggers that aren’t “nice” 4 pound short pull triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Are you using the Lee .38 Short set or the sizing die from a .38 Special and a 9mm crimp die? The crimp die is not optimum, but it is short enough to work.
    I am not Rob, but when I load the 38 SC in my 550 I use the Lee 38 SC sizing die in station 1, a 9mm powder die in station 2, a 38 SC seating die in station 3, and a 9mm factory crimp die in station 4.

In my mid 1980s GP100 I shot some 9mm 124 Montana Gold JHP loaded in 38 SC brass and did not have any accuracy issues out to 10 yards (the max range for pistols at my range).

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Interesting. I assume they have other calibers too?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    If ammo was of equal supply and equal cost, then no question I would opt for the .32. Less recoil and and an extra round would make it worth it, especially in a revolver that could be as small and light as possible.

Since .32 is far from king, I think .38 and 9mm revolvers make more sense for most people.

If the .32 becomes more popular and manufacturers really push the round and revolvers in it, then we can have some real change.

We need some “influencers” who realize that many, if not most, shooters would be better off with quality revolvers and triggers that aren’t “nice” 4 pound short pull triggers.
    Video games brought the 5.7 to life and have created a generation that know nothing about revolvers.

When one goes to a gun store with other young people behind the counter, and almost no revolvers in the case, and a first time buyer who is video game /movie educated…..is that dude going to be switched to a 5 or 6 gun?

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Interesting. I assume they have other calibers too?

38 Special DT SnakeShot™ 20rds – Doubletap Ammunition
    https://doubletapammo.com/products/3...nakeshot-20rds

Site Supporter
    Does a 32 HR Mag perform better than an extremely light .38, such as Hornady's Critical Defense lite?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Does a 32 HR Mag perform better than an extremely light .38, such as Hornady's Critical Defense lite?
    Same weight and velocity with less diameter equals more penetration, very roughly.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Comparing the American Rifleman results to the 2" barrel revolver test from Brass Fetcher...

https://www.americanrifleman.org/med...708&height=594

https://www.brassfetcher.com/Handgun...Selection.html

Most 32 H&R Magnum loads will probably penetrate to roughly 38 Special 148 grain wadcutter depths of 15-16 inches and with similar average recovered bullet diameters of .38-.39 inches.

The 80 grain Critical Defense 32 H&R Magnum performs slightly better than the 90 grain Critical Defense Lite in 38 Special and slightly worse than the standard pressure 110 grain Hornady loading with average penetrations of 10 inches and .41-.46 inches of expansion.
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 01-27-2024 at 10:16 PM.

The Lost River wadcutter doesn't have optimized contours to maximize terminal effects.

The meplat MUST be flat with a SHARP shoulder.

I'd like to see a solid copper machined wadcutter for battle carry (i.e. loaded in the cylinder).

Then I'd like to see a solid-copper Keith-style semiwadcutter, with a sharp meplat shoulder, for reloads.

These designs will maximize wounding effects and make the bullets barrier blind.

No need to propel either of these bullets any faster than needed to penetrate 16-inches in properly prepared and calibrated Type 250A ordnance gelatin.

User Tag List