Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: .32 vs .38

@nate89 - how many loadings are you typically getting from your Starline brass in .32?

I'm sitting on 100, plus 100 of the loaded Lost River offering.
    Taking a break from social media.

.32 S&W Long +P pressure data

10 in T/C Contender barrel chambered for .32 H&R Mag. Strain gage at SAAMI location with computer interface to Oehler M43PBL by Larry Gibson firing .32 S&W Long handloads in R-P cases with CCI500 primer.

Hornady .312" XTP 100 grain HP, 8.5 grains IMR4227, OAL 1.170"

Velocity in 10" Contender 997 fps, 32 Sd, 68 ES, 20,200 psi, Sd 1100, ES 2300
    Vel. in 3" S&W Model 30. 787 fps, 18 Sd, 46 ES

Hornady .312" XTP 85 grain JHP, loaded as above with 3 grains Bullseye
    Velocity in 10" Contender 990 fps, 17 Sd, 45 ES, 16,800 psi, Sd 400. ES 900
    Vel. In 4" S&W Model 31. 906 fps, 9 Sd, ES 25

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Whil I am at it .30 Super Carry. The youtube idiots all comment on “ a question nobody ask,” that is so tiring. Put a 9mm ballistic equivalent in a compact or sub, not to mention micro, and the lights would go on. I was a huge hater until I shit a rental shield. It was loud, but flat shooting, crazy accurate fun and more mild.
    I think .32 Super Carry would be more successful if it was tweaked to shoot an 85gr XTP bullet at 1000 fps, and fit it in .380 sized pistols. It'd reliably give better terminal performance than just about every .380 load in a smaller .380 sized pistol like an LCP.

still not for me, but...

Mrs. Fatdog had 24 years of .mil experience with the M9 even as a rear echelon support person and had to wear one and live with one every single day while on her overseas tours in far sandy places. When she retired and the 92 was no longer "the gun" to her we tried a lot of stuff I owned and she picked the USP/c LEM as her new gun and does quite well with it on the range. But not being the committed carrier, and even then being mostly off body, it tends to stay at home most all of the time. Based on past experiences, she will not touch my M12's, D frames or J frames even with Federal GMM wadcutters. We tried several rimfire revolvers but the triggers are just to stout, of course you start lightening those and you finally get light strikes. As a net result she is armed less of the time Vs what I wish. She is absolutely uncomfortable with all the small autos as well, both 9mm and .380's and we have tried many.

For this reason only, the hope of getting her comfortable with something she will actually carry more often, and that we trust, I jumped in on the Ruger 327 with Ted's excellent H&R wadcutters this Spring. I hope this goes well and works out, if so the 432/632 UC might join the collection as well some day when prices start approaching MSRP. So here I dive into .32 H&R, starline brass inbound to produce practice fodder.

The out of the box trigger on this specific 327 is far nicer than any of the previous 38 special versions I have owned, so lucky on that count I guess, not even contemplating a spring kit.

Wish me luck on the project. If she will adopt this paradigm I think she will find lots more carry options for it that are acceptable to her than what we have with the USP/c now.

This type of user may indeed be the strongest case for the .32 H&R snub over the longer term, not those of us who are totally comfortable with .38 special or various semi-auto pocket guns.

Name:  ruger 327.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  89.6 KB
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

The unavailability of the new UC series J frames has me reconsidering whether a LCR would actually be a better choice in a pocket .32 for me. Currently a 42 usually gets the nod for pocket carry, and occasionally a 442.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The UC's are a production item so if one has lived their whole life without one they could likely wait a few more months

I know someone who would be well served with a small low recoil revolver and the rimfires triggers suck so a 32 has some real utility. Ammo is the issue as none will pass IWBA standards and the rest is boutique. (nothing wrong with some of the small shops but will they be around and will they continue to make it when the new newness 32 is less new?) My guess is LCP's outsell 5 shot revos 10-20 to 1. So not sure private shops are going to go all in on 32.

Ruger would do well to make an aluminum LCR in 32 mag (said before as 327 is a whole different animal and steel LCR is 4oz heavier) assuming once the first wave of early adapters is done there will be a market.

Local Cabelas has no 32/327 of any kind. One small shop has some 32 ball and not sure I have ever seen 327

Right now for your average recoil sensitive person a LCR 357 (heavier) with standard pressure wadcutters might be the answer. (LCRs have better triggers and less felt recoil IMHO) Or a 640/SP101

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    The UC's are a production item so if one has lived their whole life without one they could likely wait a few more months

I know someone who would be well served with a small low recoil revolver and the rimfires triggers suck so a 32 has some real utility. Ammo is the issue as none will pass IWBA standards and the rest is boutique. (nothing wrong with some of the small shops but will they be around and will they continue to make it when the new newness 32 is less new?) My guess is LCP's outsell 5 shot revos 10-20 to 1. So not sure private shops are going to go all in on 32.

Ruger would do well to make an aluminum LCR in 32 mag (said before as 327 is a whole different animal and steel LCR is 4oz heavier) assuming once the first wave of early adapters is done there will be a market.

Local Cabelas has no 32/327 of any kind. One small shop has some 32 ball and not sure I have ever seen 327

Right now for your average recoil sensitive person a LCR 357 (heavier) with standard pressure wadcutters might be the answer. (LCRs have better triggers and less felt recoil IMHO) Or a 640/SP101
    This.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Local Cabelas here had about 10 boxes of Critical Defense 32 HR. Lots of 30 Super Carry too. I have plenty of 327 for my 632 in 327 mag. But I don't shoot it that much, so it should last for a long time.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    .....But not being the committed carrier, and even then being mostly off body, it tends to stay at home most all of the time. Based on past experiences, she will not touch my M12's, D frames or J frames even with Federal GMM wadcutters. We tried several rimfire revolvers but the triggers are just to stout, of course you start lightening those and you finally get light strikes......

.....This type of user may indeed be the strongest case for the .32 H&R snub over the longer term, not those of us who are totally comfortable with .38 special or various semi-auto pocket guns......
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post

I think an aluminum .32 H&R LCR, loaded with Lost River wadcutters, and sporting a Raven Vanguard (that unfortunately doesn't exist either), would be just about the best carry option for a whole class of people.

I've been experimenting with my .327 LCR, wearing Hamre hook grips, and a Fricke Zaccheus trigger guard for long distance running. If you lightened this up by another 1/4 pound, and had a Raven Vanguard, it would be unbelievably comfortable, shootable, and versatile for many different carry positions.

Everyone enjoys shooting my LCR with wadcutters. Everyone. It completely transforms the look on people's faces from a grimace/squint to a smile when sighting in. Ammo price and availability doesn't matter when it turns the experience of practice from hate to enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I think an aluminum .32 H&R LCR, loaded with Lost River wadcutters, and sporting a Raven Vanguard (that unfortunately doesn't exist either), would be just about the best carry option for a whole class of people.

I've been experimenting with my .327 LCR, wearing Hamre hook grips, and a Fricke Zaccheus trigger guard for long distance running. If you lightened this up by another 1/4 pound, and had a Raven Vanguard, it would be unbelievably comfortable, shootable, and versatile for many different carry positions.

Everyone enjoys shooting my LCR with wadcutters. Everyone. It completely transforms the look on people's faces from a grimace/squint to a smile when sighting in. Ammo price and availability doesn't matter when it turns the experience of practice from hate to enjoyment.
    See Shawn Dodson’s comments concerning Lost River’s 32 wadcutters if they are for defensive purposes.

User Tag List