Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: .32 vs .38

The .38 was never a good round for such a small gun imo. The .32 h&r came out in the 80s, when .45acp and .357 mag reigned supreme, a time when 9mm was considered to be a round for "limp wristed Europeans." We've come a long way since then, and I think the time has come for .32 to take it's rightful place as the defacto king of the snub nose revolver round. Let's face it, recoil out of a .38 snub just plain sucks, and 5 shooter doesn't have the same ring to it as six shooter does. If we can get the momentum up for .32, I can foresee a day when you're lgs has .32 stocked for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Turning the page on 50 earlier this month, the bump and grind of life has caught up with me physically. Back, hands, vision, all in noticeable decline. It is what it is, so I have no gripes. For weight/comfort reasons (lower back), I’ve become a J frame convert over the last few years, having a no-lock 638 on me more often than anything. But, as many have pointed out, it’s not something I especially enjoy shooting for extended range trips, as my hands are stiff for a few days if I overdo it.

Already had my firearm purveyor place an order with Lipsey’s for a 432UC. Now to find some 32 long WC ammo while keeping an eye on @Lost River website.
    I have a bunch of .32 components shipping in. The response for .32s has been significant, (and to a degree the .38 WCs as well) so the plan is to ramp things up around here to meet the demand. That is also why I have been a little bit absent reference posting lately.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I have a bunch of .32 components shipping in. The response for .32s has been significant, (and to a degree the .38 WCs as well) so the plan is to ramp things up around here to meet the demand. That is also why I have been a little bit absent reference posting lately.
    Keep pullin' that handle--It's good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by mikey357 View Post
    Keep pullin' that handle--It's good for you!
    Just keep pulling, just keep pulling, just keep pulling/Dory

Sorry if you guys miss the reference
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

Pretty much most people with kids of a certain age are going to recognize that line.

That and any line spoken from the penguins of Madagascar!

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

Wait, you're talking about a dick, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Pretty much most people with kids of a certain age are going to recognize that line.

That and any line spoken from the penguins of Madagascar!
    Time to slap some hippies!!

Quote Originally Posted by RustWins View Post
    The .38 was never a good round for such a small gun imo. The .32 h&r came out in the 80s, when .45acp and .357 mag reigned supreme, a time when 9mm was considered to be a round for "limp wristed Europeans." We've come a long way since then, and I think the time has come for .32 to take it's rightful place as the defacto king of the snub nose revolver round. Let's face it, recoil out of a .38 snub just plain sucks, and 5 shooter doesn't have the same ring to it as six shooter does. If we can get the momentum up for .32, I can foresee a day when you're lgs has .32 stocked for a reasonable price.
    GMM 148 is very easy to shoot out of a 12oz. 38. With a padded glove 158's are not bad. A steel trainer is always an option

The heaviest 32's (327's) are not pussy cats either. In other words ammo selection is a thing in every caliber

LGSs I have spoken to will order a 32 LCR SW ect but have no intention of stocking ammo

J frames are a low volume sales item and 32's currently are the smallest portion of that

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    GMM 148 is very easy to shoot out of a 12oz. 38. With a padded glove 158's are not bad. A steel trainer is always an option

The heaviest 32's (327's) are not pussy cats either. In other words ammo selection is a thing in every caliber

LGSs I have spoken to will order a 32 LCR SW ect but have no intention of stocking ammo

J frames are a low volume sales item and 32's currently are the smallest portion of that
    Ditto...maybe I'll pick up a 38 and if 32's start becoming readily available on shelves consider one, otherwise it's $700 +/- plus another $500 to get started with ammo

I once Fackler water tested the Hornady and Federal 85 grain loads with four layers of denim at 7 yards range. I recall about 6 rounds of each being expended as the water level dropped.

Good penetration but not a hint of any expansion from a 1 7/8 inch barrel.

Hardly a calibrated gelatin test, but I couldn't find any of those for reference.

The way forward is almost certainly what @Shawn Dodson recommends. A Cirillo-style Safestop (the version without the scoring on the meplat). I really like the feature of the wadcutter extending out of the case a bit. Using a flush seated wadcutter can lead to confusion with an empty case.
    My apologies to weasels.

User Tag List