Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: .32 vs .38

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Any idea on what this does in gel out of a 2" barrel? Even if just bare gel / heavy clothing / 4LD?
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...ed-32-magnums/

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    paging @Lost River

(Something tells me he's likely setting up a line for .32 production)
    Like this:

https://www.lostriverammocompany.com...dcutter-100RDS
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If Lipseys sells the initial run of 2000 .32 J frames as quickly as everyone seems to think….. and everybody who bought them saw the video and wants 100 (or more) rounds of LR wadcutters…..ya know …..math. Does LR have the capacity to load a half million rounds before the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    If Lipseys sells the initial run of 2000 .32 J frames as quickly as everyone seems to think….. and everybody who bought them saw the video and wants 100 (or more) rounds of LR wadcutters…..ya know …..math. Does LR have the capacity to load a half million rounds before the summer?
    Most people will be happy with a 20 round box of Federal.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I stopped wanting to shoot .38 Specials right-handed, from J-Frames, by the time I had aged into my early forties. My wife now totes my only remaining J-snub, an Airweight based upon the 642. (Performance Center Model, stamped “M460,” made when every minor variant got its own model number.) .32 makes sense, for my uses, in J-Frames, preferably steel or stainless steel J-Frames. (In my Immortal Early Twenties, I had thought the S&W N-Frame .44 Magnum 629 was the perfect duty handgun, but, the laws of physics, and the laws of nature, caught up with me.) I would stand in the line, in the rain, for an all-stainless steel, Centennial-type concealed-hammer .32 J-snub.

As I see it, placing an oversized grip on a J-Frame, to tame the effects of recoil, causes it to occupy a K-Frame size envelope, in which case a K-Frame would seem to make more sense.

I have yet to try a Ruger LCR-series weapon, to fire either .32 or .38, so, remain unaware how they control recoil.

In the Ruger SP101, .38 Special and even .357 Magnum make the most sense, to me. I do have a 4” SP101, with an adjustable rear sight, .32 H&R, but it remains in indefinite reserve status, thus far. In my personal case, the factory OEM grip, for the SP101 reaches just far enough to brace against the “heel bone” part of my hand, which has always made the SP101 the better choice for accuracy and shot-to-shot recovery.

In the case of K-Frame and equivalent revolving pistol sizes, .38 Special seems the more-sensible option, to me, by far. I am a major fan of K-Frame 2” snub-guns, for regular daily carry. The K-Frame’s cylinder swings noticeably farther from the frame, creating more available work space for reliably ejecting empties, and for operating reloading devices. I do not normally carry speed-loaders for the SP101, but will normally carry speed-loaders for a K-Frame; it is about efficiency. (The best “speed-loader,” when toting an SP101, is a second SP101, or, a Baby Glock. )

I do not have experience with the .327 Fed Mag, so, it does not play a part in my .32/.38 opinions. I would rather not publicly state uninformed opinions.

I formed my opinions regarding .38 Special in J-Frames during the 1983 to ~2002 time period, during which I used them almost daily, while on duty and during much personal time. Buying my second and third SP101(s), to complete a “pair & a spare*,” circa 2002, put my .38 Special J-Frames out of business, except for the rare, occasional pocket carry role, in lighter-than-usual clothing, with an Airweight.

*I did not stop at three.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This excellent quality .32 ammo.

I chronoed several rounds through my .327 LCR a few weeks ago and it ran right at 789 fps. Very consistent velocity.

I've been laid up with torn tendons in my ankle and unprecedented snow for Knoxville the past week. But hope to get to the range (Aircast and cane in hand) tomorrow and plan to shoot this round at varying distances. Results will be limited by lack of abilities as I have no doubt the ammo is more than up to the task.

I handload so I've loaded up a few hundred 100 gr WC for practice over the past week. My LCR likes this weight at as close to 800 fps as I can make it. @Lost River is on to something good here.

Site Supporter
    On the American Fighting Revolver Patreon page, Bryan Eastridge has a review of the 856-based Taurus Defender Toro 327. I searched on YouTube and there aren't any videos there yet. It's a 3" DAO optics-ready revolver.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    In the Ruger SP101, .38 Special and even .357 Magnum make the most sense, to me.

I formed my opinions regarding .38 Special in J-Frames during the 1983 to ~2002 time period, during which I used them almost daily, while on duty and during much personal time. Buying my second and third SP101(s), to complete a “pair & a spare*,” circa 2002, put my .38 Special J-Frames out of business, except for the rare, occasional pocket carry role, in lighter-than-usual clothing, with an Airweight.

*I did not stop at three.
    I guess that the fact that I no longer have any J-Frames around but thought enough of "The Rattler" to keep it all these years is testimony to my appreciation of the SP101.

Name:  SP101DAO.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  83.6 KB

I no longer launch .357 Magnum out of it. Lead 148 gr target wadcutters are where this thing shines for me right now, controllability-wise. It's loose and a bit battered, but reliable and very well-mannered compared to a 642 or something similar.

The front blade is a replacement tritium dot that works fine, but the rear hog trough sight sucks more the older I get.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I have yet to try a Ruger LCR-series weapon, to fire either .32 or .38, so, remain unaware how they control recoil.
    I've broken my hand twice and am cognizant of the fact that wear and tear on my hand now affects quality of life later on a compounding basis.

LCR is more comfortable, at least with the OEM grip, to me. When I retire, I'll change to wadcutters to reduce recoil further, but am policy dictated to carry 'quality expanding ammunition' for now.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    @Lost River - please please please set up a stock notification functionality.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List