Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: .32 vs .38

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/32-sw...er-bellot-sb32

@Stephanie B posted these recently in one of these .32 threads.
    I certainly appreciate you looking out. I sourced some of that same S&B ammo from my go-to vendor last week. Im hoping to get @Lost River offering as well, if it’s made.

I’ve been enjoying Ted’s commentary and photos here for the better part of 12 years now, and I couldn’t be more happy about giving the man my money for what I’m sure is top shelf ammunition whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    This may well be so.
    Not trying to mislead nor bullshit anyone on this.

I'll grab that same box of GGM along with some Georgia Arms I have and chrono them again out of my LCR and I'll bring along my old 640 Smith.
    Maybe it won't be 42 degrees and raining...

This was from March of this year:
    "Georgia Arms Snubby Self Defense .38 spl ammo
    148 gr Lead Wadcutter (? Zero bullet)
    ORSA Oak Ridge, TN
    Ruger LCR 754 fps
    S&W (1992 Model 640) 735 fps
    S&W Model 10 791 fps"

I completely agree the GGM should definitely be running slower. I just posted the numbers I got.
    (I should have checked my own older data.)

I'll try again and see what shakes

Just give me a few days.

Well, I’m an idiot… Part 1:

The .38 spl velocities I chronoed and posted per RJ’s input were not, in fact, Federal GGM…simply rotated revolver ammo I placed in the box. They were the Georgia Arms 148 gr WC Defensive load. So yes. 750 fps should be expected from them. Rookie dumbass mistake and you would have thought the Starline brass would have caught my attention.

The box of GGM I grabbed to take to the range was a partial box and instead of placing my rotated rounds (the Georgia Arms) in a ziplock bag (as I routinely to for a later range trip) I obviously, in a senior moment, put them into the GGM box…

My sincere apologies to all and thank you folks for catching that mistake. < embarrassment >

The actual Federal GGM velocities =
    664-641-640-635-630. Avg. 642 fps in my LCR.
    652-644-645-644-645. Avg. 646 fps in my 1992 S&W 640

Lost River “Standard Pressure” 148 gr WC velocities:
    765-779-768-744-784. Avg. 768 fps in my LCR
    765-766-727-763-772. Avg. 758 fps in my S&W 640
    (Ted lists these at 780 fps out of an LCR on his website iirc)
    Obviously these had a “snappier” recoil compared with GGM but very pleasant to shoot in both snubbies.

Winchester Ranger 130 gr +P
    783-820-755-796-804. Avg. 791 fps in my S&W 640
    862-788-854. Avg. 834 fps in my LCR

Why only 3 rounds in my LCR?

Idiot mistake # 2.

I killed my chrono. Murder!
    One round of Winchester 130 gr +P through it heart (head I guess actually) was all it took. Damn!

Over 10 years and countless rounds over my ProChrono. Best $120.00 I had ever spent… <sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

I killed my chrono. Murder!
    One round of Winchester 130 gr +P through it heart (head I guess actually) was all it took. Damn!

Over 10 years and countless rounds over my ProChrono. Best $120.00 I had ever spent… <sigh>
    I've heard that the light bullets shoot low.

A buddy killed two chronos in the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I've heard that the light bullets shoot low.

A buddy killed two chronos in the same day.
    I can personally attest to that fact! LOL

Site Supporter
    This thread motivated me to buy a new OWB J frame holster from JM Custom. I even splurged a bit to get red carbon fiber to jazz it up. It looks very nice against the guns. Going to run them in a week or two.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Georgia Arms back open, apparently.

https://www.georgia-arms.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I have 5 rounds left of my previous batch, which has been in my LCR for...far to long, let's say. I'll shoot that cylinder and then load the new, will report back on any subjective differences, in terms of whether the new production batch has more perceptible oomph.
    Right, so I put 5 carry Gold Medal Match (old stock), 10 HSM 148 WC (“725 fps”) HSM-38-1-N, and 10 GMM (new stock) (“690 fps”) through my LCR today.

Bear with me, as this is all "seat of the pants" feel, but the new stock (purchased 2024) GMM was notably punchier than the old stock GMM (2021 maybe?), shooting them back to back. And the HSM is a bit stouter than the new GMM. LCR now up to 704 rounds, and shoots the new stock GMM to point of aim at 7 yards with a dot hold.

In terms of descriptive terms, I'd rate my perception of recoil of the last few ammo types I've tried as follows (I started using "Hot" "Warm", "Standard", and "Mild" in my .45 ammo spreadsheet, it seems convenient to me because I don't have one of them fancy-pants chrono thingies. ).

Lost River Ammunition standard 148 gr WC - Warm

HSM-38-1-N 148 WC - Standard
    Federal GMM (2024 production) - Standard (-)

Federal GMM (old production) - Mild
    Fiocchi Training Dynamics 38LA - Mild
    Sellier & Bellot Wadcutter .38 Special SB38B - Mild

I like how the GMM feels, and it doesn't beat up my hands so much I don't shoot it. So plan is to continue to practice and carry the Federal Gold Medal match, now I have sufficient quantity to last me a year or two.

because I don't have one of them fancy-pants chrono thingies.
    C'mon man, do we need to revoke your engineering degree? (okay you are retired and maybe don't care) These are the low end of the market but they work just fine.....you do need one....don't have to have the fancy radar versions to get numbers...
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    C'mon man, do we need to revoke your engineering degree? (okay you are retired and maybe don't care) These are the low end of the market but they work just fine.....you do need one....don't have to have the fancy radar versions to get numbers...
    Hah…that does look pretty cool. I didn’t know they were under $100…

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Hah…that does look pretty cool. I didn’t know they were under $100…
    Enablers enabling. It's what we do here at P-F.

User Tag List