Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem w/brand new Glock 48, is this correct?

Well they must be petty busy down in Georgia. Lol

This past Tuesday was two weeks since it arrived there, so I shot them an email to see if they looked at it yet.

It was still on the shelf waiting to be looked at as of Wednesday, and they said 2-4 weeks from receiving it was normal time.

Oh well, just impatiently waiting for it to come back to me while my new JMCK holster stares at me, waiting to be used for the first time. Lol.

I sent an email to tech support today which I assume will result in them asking to see the gun.

I’m at 4 FTRBs in less than 1,000 rounds.

I wonder if there was a bad batch of parts or if they need a stronger or longer recoil spring assembly for the 48. The 43x doesn’t seem to have as many issues.

Site Supporter
    All this is not encouraging. Based on my experience of some 30 years with Glocks I've been considering a G48 purchase for a lighter, flatter carry gun. Glocks have always worked, right out of the plastic boxes, and kept on working for years without any malfunctions. From the tone of this thread that no longer seems to be the case.

Never thought I'd be saying this about a Glock but apparently they don't make them like they used to, any more than any one else does these days. Blast and damn!

Dave

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    All this is not encouraging. Based on my experience of some 30 years with Glocks I've been considering a G48 purchase for a lighter, flatter carry gun. Glocks have always worked, right out of the plastic boxes, and kept on working for years without any malfunctions. From the tone of this thread that no longer seems to be the case.

Never thought I'd be saying this about a Glock but apparently they don't make them like they used to, any more than any one else does these days. Blast and damn!

Dave
    The service sized Glocks are fine. In fact the current service sized Glocks are the best guns they’ve ever made.

The slim Glocks (43/43X/48) have a much narrower envelope of reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The service sized Glocks are fine. In fact the current service sized Glocks are the best guns they’ve ever made.

The slim Glocks (43/43X/48) have a much narrower envelope of reliability.
    I will echo that the Gen 5 full size frame Glocks, including the 26 (in my experience), have been very good guns. I have several thousand through several different models, and they've all been very reliable.

The reports of issues with the smaller frame guns is one of the things that has kept me away from seriously considering them. The 48 interested me very much when they first came out, but the reports of reliability issues with that model in particular made me reconsider. If the higher cap mags can be ironed out in the future, along with the 48's reliability issues, I'd probably take another look at the "single stack G19" as some folks call the 48.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I will echo that the Gen 5 full size frame Glocks, including the 26 (in my experience), have been very good guns. I have several thousand through several different models, and they've all been very reliable.

The reports of issues with the smaller frame guns is one of the things that has kept me away from seriously considering them. The 48 interested me very much when they first came out, but the reports of reliability issues with that model in particular made me reconsider. If the higher cap mags can be ironed out in the future, along with the 48's reliability issues, I'd probably take another look at the "single stack G19" as some folks call the 48.
    If the 48 was really a single stack 19 with a G19 RSA it might work better.

The issue seems to be the 48 is actually a reduced scale G34 running off the G43 recoil spring assembly.

I think developing a G4, three size gun with an RSA, that actually works is simply a matter of engineering and the will to make it happen.

The problem is Glock has a history of trying to minimize the number of parts they produce, and keep an inventory often to the detriment of functional reliability.

Prior examples include Glock using the same RSA from the 19 and 17 in the Gen 2&3 G22 and G23. Is anyone surprised that a 40 with a 9 mm recoil spring assembly beat itself to death?

Then Glock went the other way, optimizing the original Gen 4 guns for .40 and, again was anyone surprised when a 9mm with a .40 cal recoil spring had reliability issues ?

Glock finally fixed the issue by going to separate RSAs for 9mm &.40.

Too bad. I’ve been thinking of getting a g48 again in the future. Seen too many issues on here.
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

My G48 arrived home a few minutes. Good thing I was home since I didn’t know it was coming. Lol.

They replaced the magazines I sent with new ones, replaced the RSA, and the slide cover plate.

While manually racking it, it doesn’t hang up at all. Hoping to make it to the range Friday so we’ll see.

Fingers crossed.

Glock also had some initial issues with the first Slim Line, the .45 ACP G36.

I simply personally just don't like how the G48 feels in (my) hand-to me, it just feels too slab sided, and I feel that there may be some loss of contact surface in the hand-to-receiver interface.

Mechanical issues aside, that's the same conclusions I came to with the G36 years ago.

Capacity is one of my least concerns in a given platform; how I ergonomically interface with and control it, along with reliability, durability, maintainability and accuracy are far more important criteria for me.

I'll happily stick with my Gen3 G19 and Gen5 G23 as the most compact I prefer to go-with Glocks and otherwise.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List