Page 67 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: New revolvers at SHOT/Lipsey's release

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    The trigger on my 340 is very good for a j frame and in my opinion, trigger work is not needed. That being said, the UC trigger is better.

The initial pull is about the same, but at about halfway through the stroke the 340 requires steady pressure and the UC resistance seems to decrease.
    This is good info, most folks have not put any descriptors to this "new" trigger... I'm interested in seeing how they feel compared to my 442 Pro, which initially had a not very great, and very heavy trigger. I added a Wilson spring kit to it and that made the gun a lot more shootable for me. I did clean up the rebound, the mainspring strut, etc while I was in there. A good amount of dry fire and live fire also helped a lot.

Interestingly the older 60-10 I have has a very good DA trigger. I've never taken the side plate off, but I sometimes wonder if someone added a spring kit and/or cleaned it up internally. I really should take that one apart and have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Has anyone quantified the trigger pull weight of this Sentinel-adjacent?
    Ja interested as well. My .38 LCR measures 8.3 lbs on my digital Lyman, after four years ownership and almost 700 rounds.

Got my hands on one (.38) today. Nice. Trigger was less than what I was hoping for. OK, but nothing super special.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ja interested as well. My .38 LCR measures 8.3 lbs on my digital Lyman, after four years ownership and almost 700 rounds.
    Yep -- I asked about it a couple weeks ago in this thread, and I think someone else did before me...

FWIW, my roughly 10-year old 340pd (with not a ton of rounds through it, because I like my hands) comes in at 11 pounds 8 ounces on my lyman. At least it registers, unlike my Security Six.

It seems like the modern Cobras, Kimbers and LCRs have gotten the weight down on the DA pull. This becomes more of issue as my primary hand becomes more suspiciously arthritisy.

I am very hopeful about these. Since the price point precludes much -if any- hand smoothing of action surfaces, it seems to me that the revolvers we are seeing with unremarkable characteristics can only improve. It’s a good bet.
    I am fine with a couple of thousand dry fire trigger presses, myself.
    It took that plus a spring change and some internal attention from an old-line S&W armorer to make the model 36-no dash smooth and comfortable.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    I'm hopeful, if not an improvement, at least as good as my 642 Pro, a smooth consistent 10.5 lbs...We'll see,

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I am very hopeful about these. Since the price point precludes much -if any- hand smoothing of action surfaces, it seems to me that the revolvers we are seeing with unremarkable characteristics can only improve. It’s a good bet.
    I am fine with a couple of thousand dry fire trigger presses, myself.
    It took that plus a spring change and some internal attention from an old-line S&W armorer to make the model 36-no dash smooth and comfortable.
    The bushings in the frame, and the Ti pins should help clean things up and improve durability, which is my main interest. I'm not above throwing a spring kit in or a little judicious smoothing of key points of the lockwork, if it comes to it. I few thousand trigger presses certainly will help things smooth out in most of these I'm sure. I plan on shooting mine a lot.

IMHO, the mainspring strut, being stamped steel, is probably the safest and easiest place to start smoothing a J-frame trigger. The round part that interacts with the hammer, and the length of the strut itself where the spring rides. But my experience is somewhat limited. I'm no gunsmith.

I have snap caps in my two 432 revolvers, and hope my frequent pulling is training my trigger finger and smoothing them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post

It seems like the modern Cobras, Kimbers and LCRs have gotten the weight down on the DA pull. This becomes more of issue as my primary hand becomes more suspiciously arthritisy.
    Of course, you just named the 3 makes of wheelie that shooters are most likely to short stroke the return on.

Nobody short strokes a Speed-Six.

If we want the free lunch we had better commit to it in advance. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    The trigger on my 340 is very good for a j frame and in my opinion, trigger work is not needed. That being said, the UC trigger is better.

The initial pull is about the same, but at about halfway through the stroke the 340 requires steady pressure and the UC resistance seems to decrease.

Corse - thanks for the feedback. I have had success with my 340 trigger - which is untouched - but as my arthritis keeps zeroing in on my hands and fingers, a report like yours just increases my curiosity. I must find an UC to compare.

Anything else you could post, like the recoil with those great VC grips, would be much appreciated!
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

User Tag List