Page 63 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: New revolvers at SHOT/Lipsey's release

I doubt that I’d want to run three boxes of even wadcutters through my 642 at one session. I have the 632 on order, thinking my recoil tolerance won’t get any better as I get older, plus I like the idea of one more round.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Sounds like a decent outing even with the wind challenge.

I’m interested in your impressions of the revised lock-work in the new J frame. Obviously your 442 is an old friend at this point, and is probably effortless for you; how did the 432 do in terms of stacking, reset, etc? Did it smooth up much after those 300 rounds?
    Lex,

I only shot 150 rds.

So my 442 has a fairly smooth trigger, though not overly light, after years of use and thousands of rounds. The 432 is a bit heavier but is quite smooth. I can't quite tell if it was getting lighter yet, though I do anticipate that it will. It is definitely a much better trigger than your stock out of the box standard J frame trigger. No question about it.

Sounds funny, but I was quite impressed about how nice and tight the rear sight was fitted too. Such a well put together gun. I can tell my eyes are not what they used to be in terms of iron sights, but the bold bright green front sight is quite nice too. Really everything about the gun feels like a custom gun.

I can definitely tell the difference recoil wise between the .38 Special 148 Poly Coat Wadcutters and the 100 grain .32 H&R Poly Coat Wadcutters. I am very used to shooting the 148s, and they are just quite natural for me. The .32s are like cheating! I have zero issue using the .38 wadcutters and will continue to likely carry it as well. I did carry both yesterday.

Kind of liked having two J Frames in my front pockets..

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I doubt that I’d want to run three boxes of even wadcutters through my 642 at one session. I have the 632 on order, thinking my recoil tolerance won’t get any better as I get older, plus I like the idea of one more round.
    I totally agree these days.

One box of regular 148 grain wadcutters in a session is plenty.

But if you want to really enjoy shooting a .38 Special J Frame, the secret is the .38 Short Colt.

I just have to get to a point where I can produce them in large quantities..

Every darn time I make them, guys who have tried them scarf them up so fast that its almost impossible to keep them in stock! It is one of the my goals to correct soon, and make sure I can keep them in stock in proper quantities. They are just plain fun to shoot.

Make the .38 J Frame fun again!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Lex,

I only shot 150 rds.

So my 442 has a fairly smooth trigger, though not overly light, after years of use and thousands of rounds. The 432 is a bit heavier but is quite smooth. I can't quite tell if it was getting lighter yet, though I do anticipate that it will. It is definitely a much better trigger than your stock out of the box standard J frame trigger. No question about it.

Sounds funny, but I was quite impressed about how nice and tight the rear sight was fitted too. Such a well put together gun. I can tell my eyes are not what they used to be in terms of iron sights, but the bold bright green front sight is quite nice too. Really everything about the gun feels like a custom gun.

I can definitely tell the difference recoil wise between the .38 Special 148 Poly Coat Wadcutters and the 100 grain .32 H&R Poly Coat Wadcutters. I am very used to shooting the 148s, and they are just quite natural for me. The .32s are like cheating! I have zero issue using the .38 wadcutters and will continue to likely carry it as well. I did carry both yesterday.

Kind of liked having two J Frames in my front pockets..
    Thanks for that!
    (I promise to read the sentence gooder next time. )
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I'm hoping 32 ammo will be stocked in LGS's. One of the biggest private in my hood has none and has no one interested in wanting any.
    I stopped by the fancy pants gun range today in The Villages (FL) to shoot my LCR and .22, and there was no .32 H&R on the shelf, at all. Which I found odd, as I've seen a few boxes there before. I'll have to look harder, maybe they moved it.

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    https://revolverguy.com/the-lipseys-...-i/#more-13218

I thought I'd seen everything on the Lipseys UC's, If it's been listed here (don't know how I've missed it) I apologize for redundancy, but I just found this article, interesting detailed article by "The Revolver Guy"
    That's a great article.

I may have missed it, but were any of the design team left handed? Reading about the evolution of the high-horn grip from VZ with the speedloader cut, appears to be focused for right-handed shooters (no problem there) but I was curious if anyone has shot it left handed, and if there were any comments.

Separately, I asked earlier up thread if there were any metrics on the trigger pull, but again maybe I missed it. The web site states "Optimized hammer & trigger geometry and springs for a lighter, smoother trigger pull Chamfered charge holes for ease of loading" but I've not seen any numbers. Which is fine, it may be just the marketing team got a little enthusiastic about the wording to describe the trigger press, I dunno, but in light of @ssb's comment above, I thought I'd ask again.

This looks like a pretty nice J-frame; especially for $749.I wish it had been on the market four years ago when I bought my LCR. I don't see a reason to upgrade for my needs, but it is a very attractive package.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-12-2024 at 02:39 PM.

But if you want to really enjoy shooting a .38 Special J Frame, the secret is the .38 Short Colt.

Every darn time I make them, guys who have tried them scarf them up so fast that its almost impossible to keep them in stock! It is one of the my goals to correct soon, and make sure I can keep them in stock in proper quantities. They are just plain fun to shoot.

I'm one of them! The only thing that has limited me in my purchases is that when I have the cash, you are out of stock.

I'm also curious, with one of the benefits of the Short Colt cases being easier ejection, how do these do compared to 148gr wadcutters for defensive use?
    Have you done any gel testing?
    Any thoughts on a defensive oriented load?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I'm one of them! The only thing that has limited me in my purchases is that when I have the cash, you are out of stock.

I'm also curious, with one of the benefits of the Short Colt cases being easier ejection, how do these do compared to 148gr wadcutters for defensive use?
    Have you done any gel testing?
    Any thoughts on a defensive oriented load?
    So GOOD NEWS!

Craig, my friendly UPS driver of the last 20 years just dropped off another 2K pieces of .38 Short Colt brass about 30 minutes ago!

As far as defensive use.

It is not that I don't want to sell the .38 Short Colts, but I want to always be a straight shooter. I think the standard pressure wadcutters are a better choice. If it were a situation where you had someone who was just extremely sensitive to recoil, fragile hands, elderly, etc, that might be one thing, but in general, I would opt for the 148 grain poly coated wadcutters each time. I have never tested the little 125s in gel. They definitely would not bounce off, and would no doubt put a hurt on someone, it is just that I designed them as a low recoil option, not really with defense and penetration in mind.

I would be curious as to how they do in gel, but I have never heard of anybody testing them.

Personally I would rather someone use the wadcutters for carry ammo and reserve the Short Colts for low recoil practice and enjoyable shooting.

It's absurd, but I'm half considering a ~5 hour drive (each way) to pick up one of these revolvers. It'd make a impromptu family trip, and I'd be staying at least overnight in a hotel. And somehow my wife is onboard with this idea...

But, she doesn't know how much these things cost. Just that its "very expensive" (like my "toys" usually are).

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

I dug up the thread on the short Colt a month or two ago. I might get some dies and components and make some.

User Tag List