Page 29 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: New revolvers at SHOT/Lipsey's release

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I almost bought two HKS speedloaders, a pack of 8-round tuff-strips and some snap caps before I said to myself: “Self, don’t be stupid. You don’t know if you’ll be able to buy the gun, yet.”
    I added .32 tuff strips to my Amazon Wish list... just in case I decide to go that route. So I get it.

.38 really makes more sense for me though, I have a gunny sack full of Comp-I's and speed strips for my other J-frames already. And I wonder if I can whip up some mouse fart level light bullet (100,125gr?) wadcutter loads and get close to .32 recoil that way, without having to tool up for .32 everything.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I added .32 tuff strips to my Amazon Wish list... just in case I decide to go that route. So I get it.

.38 really makes more sense for me though, I have a gunny sack full of Comp-I's and speed strips for my other J-frames already. And I wonder if I can whip up some mouse fart level light bullet (100,125gr?) wadcutter loads and get close to .32 recoil that way, without having to tool up for .32 everything.
    When I was at the Revolver Roundup a couple of years ago, I was talking to DB about my airweight J .38 practice load, which is a 105gr molycoated lead bullet over about 2.0 gr of Bullseye, which I use to save my wrist. He was like, “You don’t have to justify yourself to me - you’re talking to a guy who carries a .32.” My load mimics .32 Long standard loads.

All that to say, yes, if you reload, you can make a light load for your .38 if you want to. Lost River has been making .38 Short Colt loads that are mild, too.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post

https://missouribullet.com/details.p...ry=9&keywords=

Friends enable friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Yeah, well. And the ghost of my travsils with a new 66-8 haunt me and so I mull over buying a LCR or…..
    Have you been shooting that -8?
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    My local guy says he's not seeing them in stock yet, but he put me down for the two I'm looking for so he should get notified when they do come in stock.
    I work P/T in a LGS and first thing this morning I logged into our Lipsey’s dealer account- all four versions of the UC were listed as “allocated” with none in stock. I was able to add some quantities of each to our “wish list”, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    When I was at the Revolver Roundup a couple of years ago, I was talking to DB about my airweight J .38 practice load, which is a 105gr molycoated lead bullet over about 2.0 gr of Bullseye, which I use to save my wrist. He was like, “You don’t have to justify yourself to me - you’re talking to a guy who carries a .32.” My load mimics .32 Long standard loads.

All that to say, yes, if you reload, you can make a light load for your .38 if you want to. Lost River has been making .38 Short Colt loads that are mild, too.
    I've been eyeballing LR's Short Colt loads for a while... even if just as an excuse to end up with some Short Colt brass to tinker with myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Those... or something like this:

https://www.mattsbullets.com/110-gra...utter-359.html

He also has a 75gr wadcutter bullet.

I'm unsure how light you can go, bullet and charge wise, and still get decent accuracy and not end up with lots of unburned powder. I've already got a fair supply of coated 148gr DEWC on hand.

Hey everyone I’ve been pretty slammed all week at SHOT and will try to get more of your questions answered but in the meantime I wanted to say that we have NOT received any of these guns yet. They won’t ship until the end of February. If someone is seeing 100 plus in stock it’s a regular 642/442 not a UC model.
    Thanks
    Jason

Are the Ultimate Carry revolvers anodized? Whatever finish they use on the regular 442/642 is prone to peeling.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Jason from Lipsey's had said multiple times that this will not be a limited edition run, but rather will be a continuous item for them as long as the revolvers are selling.
    That raises a slight bit of hope that at some point in the future it may become worth adding these to the California roster. Not worth doing that for a limited edition that will sell out elsewhere in a hurry. But if it's an ongoing run... well, we are after all the fifth largest economy in the world, and a lot of us carry J-frames. If they're ever added, or if Boland vs Bonta ever makes it through the appeals process, I'd be in for one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    I just had dinner, took the Macro out of my belt and I'm sitting here watching this video with a 642 Pro in my pocket trying to convince myself I don't need one of these...
    Just so happens I've gotta stop into my LGS Friday, how much will power can a guy have...
    If we are talking about pocket carry, as someone who has both the Sig P365 and various J-frames I prefer the J-frames for pocket carry for two reasons:

1. The back of the frame of a hammerless revolver is shaped so it is much less likely to get snagged on the top of the pocket than a Sig P365.

2. The J-frame grip is easier to establish a shooting grip on when in the pocket than that of the P365.

Though the Sig P365 has many advantages over the hammerless J-frame, the two two main J-frame advantages that I mentioned override everything else when we are talking about pocket carry. I have some pants that allow me to pocket carry a Sig P365 with the 10 round magazine in a pocket holster, but I am not comfortable being able to access it in less than an ideal situation as well as the possibility that the gun might snag while being drawn. In this configuration the Sig carries 10 rounds plus one in the chamber, vs 5 for a J-frame; given the lighter and shorter trigger of the Sig, it is easier to fire accurately and get hits at longer ranges; and I suspect with modern ammo the 9-mm P-365 has better terminal effects than a .38 special fired from a 2" barrel. But for pocket carry it comes down to the 2 reasons that I mentioned above.

One thing to keep in mind is that I have had some of my pants pockets deepened to allow this, since many pants pockets are often too small and tight to allow pocket carry. When I am carrying the Sig P365 it is typically carried IWB and I still carrying the J-frame as pocket carry. A great advantage of pocket carry is that you you can establish a firing grip on the gun and be ready to draw, while appearing as someone who just has hand in his pocket. I think @TCinVA can add something about this.

If I am wearing work clothes, dress slacks, or a suit, I will typically be carrying a Khar PM-9 in a pocket holster because the PM-9 is much smaller and flatter than than a J-frame in pocket carry prints in those types of pants. In this situation for me, a flatter profile is more important even though the J-frame has other advantages. Those types of pants will make the J-frame print like crazy to the point where you look almost look like an X-ray of someone carrying their gun in their pocket.

The bottom line if we are talking about pocket carry, sometimes some factors override others.

User Tag List