Page 16 of 96 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: New revolvers at SHOT/Lipsey's release

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hideeho View Post
    I've been going through the same debate. Your post put it in black and white. I'm going for shooting ability over logistics. I tend to favor heavier .38 revolvers in the 23-25 oz range. I've been round and round with M&P 340s, PD 340s, 442s, and 642s. They carry great and have a wide variety of ammo. But numbers don't lie. My drill times with .32 S&W and .32HR are faster than .38 special. And the spicier the .38, the wider the time gap.

I'm not being snarky; please let me know why a hot .32 wadcutter is a bad choice for civilian self-defense vs. a .38 wadcutter.
    I don't think a .32 is a bad choice - it's my initial reaction to get, but I also have no wheelgun ammo besides .38 (hence my logistics).

Really this is going to come down to "how soon are the things getting released in the wild" for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I don't think a .32 is a bad choice - it's my initial reaction to get, but I also have no wheelgun ammo besides .38 (hence my logistics).
    I'm in the same position. I just started shopping around before y'all buy up all the .32.

I can really see the appeal of .32, and if one was starting from ground zero, that chambering makes a ton of sense for the intended purpose of these little Js.

That said, I have so much time behind 5-shot .38s that I’m practically hard wired to speedload a small revolver at 5 rounds. Plus, I just looked into the safe for something else during my Sunday manuring out, and there were 10 HKS 36-A speedloaders full of 135gr GDHP+P on the wheelie shelf. I’m pretty sure which way I have to go on this.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Looks like I found my next revolver.
    Taking a break from social media.

Hey everyone I was traveling to Vegas for SHOT today and have been getting the booth setup. I’ll try to answer a few questions I’ve seen.

The guns will start shipping to dealers end of February. MSRP is $759 which puts the UC right in the middle of the standard 642 and the M&P 340.

This isn’t a one run and done deal. Our initial order is 1000 of each of the four models. We already have plans for more orders staged throughout the year.

For those disappointed that it’s not a K frame don’t fret, I have a lot more in projects in the queue. The J-Frame was where we could get one done the quickest. I think 2024 and 2025 will be great years for revolver fans.

The 32 vs 38 debate is one I struggled with too until I shot them. After putting hundreds of rounds through both, the 32 is around 30% less felt recoil in my opinion. Way easier to get quick hits. The 38 with wadcutters running 750 fps or so isn’t bad but the same 32 100gr wadcutter at 800 fps is noticeably softer to shoot. 32 S&W Long is like a 22 LR recoil wise and would be a great choice for practice or the super recoil sensitive shooter.

Sight regulation is something we spent a long time on and shot everything from 110gr to 158gr +P in the 38. The 130’s gr ammo along with 148 Wadcutter ammo hit dead on out to 15 yards. As you get out to 25 yards the bullets impact a couple inches high. This actually works well because a slight six o clock hold puts the round where you want them and you can see the target better. The 110gr -125gr ammo only shot a couple inches low at 15 yards and the 158’s only shot a couple inches high at 15. I think the new grips allow a higher hold on the gun and helps reduce the muzzle rise thus decreasing the bigger disparities in point of impact.

For the 32’s we shot everything from Double Tap 60gr all copper loads to heavy 120gr hard cast. Same phenomenon here. The 60gr stuff shot about 3” low at 15 and the 120’s shot 2 to 3” high at 15. 85gr to 100gr ammo shot to the sights at 15. The 32 Long ammo shot to the sights as well.

I had Darryl Bolke and Bryan Eastridge come down to help with the sight regulation shoot. I wanted several experienced shooters to shoot the same guns with the same loads to get a consensus. It was cool to see DB, Bryan, Andrew Gore from S&W and myself all put the a cylinder of ammo in the same group. That’s when we knew we had something.

Some people bemoan the two piece barrel but there are some advantages and in my opinion was a better option here. First, the two piece allows the factory to set the cylinder gap more consistently. All the samples I measured came in at .006. The other benefit was Smith could adjust the height of the ramp for sight regulation for the 32 and the 38 and that allowed the use of the same front sight. Working with third parties like XS it makes it easier to have one sight height to contend with.

I hope this answers some of the questions and or concerns. I’m very happy how these turned out. S&W was very accommodating to all my request and they made several trips down with sample guns to make sure they were exactly what we wanted. When I pitch a project to a manufacturer I ask for everything and hope to get 75% of it. This time I got 100% and actually a little more with the Endurance Package.

Thank you for the nice words about the video. Our marketing team worked really hard to get footage of the process from the beginning. For 3 guys they did a great job.

Jason

MSRP and street pricing

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Plus, I just looked into the safe for something else during my Sunday manuring out, and there were 10 HKS 36-A speedloaders full of 135gr GDHP+P on the wheelie shelf. I’m pretty sure which way I have to go on this.
    Neighbor is over and seeing the safe open with ten full speed loaders, points and asks Totem Polar what exactly he is afraid of? Totem Polar answers "not a goddamn thing!"

I was in touch with Jason from Lipsey's. MSRP is $759 and although Lipsey's doesn't control pricing, he anticipates $679-700 street price. I would want to get with my local dealer who has a relationship with Lipsey's and order, so you aren't fighting $1,000+ on GunBroker once the general gun buying public funds out about these.

PS: looks like Jason's post crossed with mine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Forgot to mention Ted’s Lost River 100gr 32 load was phenomenal and shot very small groups and super soft recoil. The 632 version with Lost River 100gr wadcutters is what I’ll be carrying.

I have two 642s. I’m leaning toward getting the 32 for the extra round and lower recoil as I get older. I’ve also been thinking about getting a Ruger single action in 32 just for fun.

I’m wanting the .32, but I’m concerned about ammo price and availability.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    These new Lipsey's J frames are making it hard for me to not spend money at a time in life when I am getting unlikely to consider them truly worthwhile investments.

I can still deal with a J frame firing .38 Special 148 gr wadcutters like the Remington target loads, but the .32 would probably appeal to Ms. gata naranja... as would .22LR to be honest. Those sights and grips alone are such apparent improvements they actually brightened my day just seeing them. That may sound pathetic, but I have waited a long time to see this stuff on an off-the-rack snubby.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List