Page 35 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: New revolvers at SHOT/Lipsey's release

Site Supporter
    I've been motivated to shoot my SW 632 in our minimatch - where it would be ok. Checking in the basement cave, I found enough 32 HR Mag and Long for a 60 round match without significant depleting of my supply. I will win my division as no one shoots revolver much.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    A few boxes of S&B .32 wadcutters will do most buyers nicely for years. On the rounds/year scale, most people here are on the right to really-far-right side of the axis.
    You're right, a few boxes might get me through my first day with one of these new UC's. I haven't made time to do any reloading for 20+ years, then I kind of get on a 38 kick over the last year or so and find it certainly gets pricey finding what shoots to the sights and keeping stocked. I checked Dillon and their 38 conversion kits have on back order, probably the same deal with 32

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Most people who buy guns do not shoot them.

Most people who shoot them do not shoot them much or shoot them well.

You have to dig pretty deep to hit the person who is skilled enough and committed enough to want a J frame with sights and a better trigger enough to pay for it. Especially in a market that's largely defined by the J frame competing against the Taurus revolver next to it in the cabinet that's $100 cheaper.

This is a big deal to a very small number of people.
    Prediction: The 442/642 will be the low end of the product line. We'll see price drops that make them able to compete against Taurus. The Ultimate Carry line will become the standard bearer for S&W. They've evolved the revolver. Eventually, marketing will make you feel if you want to buy cheap, buy a 442/642. if you want to ultimately prevail buy an Ultimate Carry. Most buyers will go in that direction. Discerning buyers will pay the extra dollars for Scandium. They might even pay for a D&L Sports sight installation. So, if you're listening S&W, how about making a Scandium J-frame with a titanium cylinder in 32 H&R? Sight configuration is not an issue. Actually, they could stop at 32 S&W and might attract many discerning buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I hope we can sell out the first run quickly enough to make a second and third run economically feasible.
    If everybody on the internet that said they were buying one, actually buys one or more, then the first run is already sold out.

Darryl sent me this link that does a deeper dive on some of the design features. It is Patreon, but no cost to view.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/973815...tshare_creator
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In videos it is said it is the best trigger in a revolver or whatever. If it is that is the most compelling reason to buy one.

Hopefully the scandium frames get these upgrades

Site Supporter
    I'm very late to this thread and just found out about these revolvers tonight. I already have a 432PD, and I think this updated 432 will be difficult to resist. My problem is the cost of 9mm vs .32 ammo. I've shot my autoloaders way more than my revolvers because 9mm ammo is so much cheaper. .32H&R ammo costs close to 4x what 9mm does, so I mostly shoot S&W Long through mine. On the other hand, I already have .32 H&R reloading dies (but I haven't reloaded anything in about 20 years). At least I have a few weeks to think about it. These revolvers really look great to me. My big gripe about revolvers in general is that the sights are so rudimentary compared to autoloader sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Vision is different from person to person so in terms of the sights, marginal gains are a subjective matter.
    With my eyes, this is not a marginal gain. Add the grips and the package becomes a game-changer.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    If everybody on the internet that said they were buying one, actually buys one or more, then the first run is already sold out.
    And then some, I would imagine.

This revolver has the potential to expand the market a bit. If sales ever slow down enough that they're sitting in the display case next to a typical J frame somebody might handle both and make the decision for the one with sights on trigger feel alone.

A fair number of people still believe you don't aim handguns, so it won't be everybody...but I think word of mouth and some A:B will mean that there's a reliable market for revolvers like this out amongst people who aren't revolver nerds or carry extremists like me.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    With my eyes, this is not a marginal gain. Add the grips and the package becomes a game-changer.

Okie John
    The sights on the 442/642 are almost unusable for these old eyes. The UC sights look great and the ability to adjust them is perfect. I find that different kinds and weights of ammo hit to a different point of impact. Plus the way different people interact with the grip and sights makes a difference.

I hope the S&W 43c UC is next.

User Tag List