Page 31 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: New revolvers at SHOT/Lipsey's release

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    Any idea what the finish / durability is on the 432 / 442 is ?
    I've seen some rough older black J's,might be tempted to stay with the 642 finish, doesn't show the wear and tear so much.
    IME they're both very weak finishes that will both be wearing completely through to the alloy frame with any real use, carry, or holster reps. Wear does look less conspicuous on the 642 though. The finish on mine is completely destroyed, but it still looks ok from three feet or so if you squint.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    When I had asked about a 642 in another thread, the finish durability was brought up. Apparently it is even less durable, IIRC.
    I don't know about "less" but it sure ain't durable...my old trusty one
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    That certainly has character. I would hope that Smith has updated their 642 finish for the 642UC.

I also like the vintage CTC.
    Taking a break from social media.

It is true whatever Smith and Wesson puts over their aluminum frames is only slightly more durable than house paint. However, the frames themselves are anodized, before the finish is applied. So, it wearing down to the aluminum really isn't that big of a deal overall.

One advantage of the black 432/442 guns is that Birchwood Casey Aluma Black is pretty damn close for touch up purposes.

You can go a long way towards reducing finish wear on aluminum guns, by just putting some Renaissance Wax on them about once a quarter.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    My 442's finish has worn better than the 638's has. It got shiny on the high points that made contact with the pocket holster but it hasn't experienced the clear-coat peeling failure of the 638.
    3/15/2016

I haven’t bought a gun in 3 years but this release prompted me to call my local Lipseys distributor. They told me both the stainless .32 and .38 were marked as “allocated” and they added them to their “wish list” for me. I don’t know how this translates to my chances of picking one up but if the opportunity presents itself I’ll break my gun buying hiatus for either.

I’ve always been a .38 guy but I’m willing to give the .32 a chance. I carry wadcutters and I’ll require a new holster due to the shape of the barrel shroud on these so a couple speed strips aren’t going to be a deal breaker. I’m not a high enough volume shooter on J Frames to really care about having to stock a new cartridge.

Site Supporter
    My 642 Pro's finish is holding up pretty well, If I go down this road, I'll likely stick with the silver as the wear just isn't as obvious as with the black finish. I stopped into my LGS this morning, He said he's got 4 of each model on order and they're likely a few weeks out before delivery, he's got me flagged for a call when they show up for my pick, He did mention he's having a hard time getting much for 32 ammo though. I did ask if he thought these would be a cut above S&W's run of the mill QC (he's had some horror stories) and was told well... you'd think so but, we'll wait and see what we get. I do know he had stopped stocking new Smith's because of the aggravation factor.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Show's character !

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I haven’t bought a gun in 3 years but this release prompted me to call my local Lipseys distributor. They told me both the stainless .32 and .38 were marked as “allocated” and they added them to their “wish list” for me. I don’t know how this translates to my chances of picking one up but if the opportunity presents itself I’ll break my gun buying hiatus for either.
    So, when it comes to getting one, fuggedaboudit?

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I’ve always been a .38 guy but I’m willing to give the .32 a chance. I carry wadcutters and I’ll require a new holster due to the shape of the barrel shroud on these so a couple speed strips aren’t going to be a deal breaker. I’m not a high enough volume shooter on J Frames to really care about having to stock a new cartridge.
    My guess is that for the vast majority of users, four boxes of .32 wadcutters would be a lifetime supply. Maybe two boxes.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

While I'm not the world's biggest proponent of snub nosed/J frame sized revolvers, these are tempting-for IDPA Back Up Gun division, if nothing else. Hmm, a ready to go, no gunsmithing required, decently quality controlled revolver....

On a totally different tangent, anyone here tried the new Henry .357 4" revolvers?

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List