Page 44 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: New revolvers at SHOT/Lipsey's release

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    While I can’t reveal my source I have heard that there are ten times as many orders as there are revolvers in the initial run. You have to wonder how many are being bought as investments as opposed to potential working guns.
    On one hand, I hope that isn't true, because I'd really like to get my hands on one. On the other hand, if it's true, S&W will probably make these a standard item, and crank out a bunch of them.

I'm so torn.

Re: Post 428

The 10:1 demand vs. inventory availability makes me feel a bit better about me already "hedging the bet" by already buying the Ruger LCRX .327, as I was thinking my odds of getting a 432UC was low, although I may be the only one wanting one at the small local gun store where I placed my order/wish-list-desire. Then again, maybe whoever the Lipsey's sales rep is for that gun store will fill that order for one revolver.

Also, after that first batch of four "UC" version revolvers, I wonder how long before a 2nd batch is schedule & shipped. We all shall see.

Thanks for the info Post 428.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    While I can’t reveal my source I have heard that there are ten times as many orders as there are revolvers in the initial run. You have to wonder how many are being bought as investments as opposed to potential working guns.
    Your source is a little off on his or her info....

Just a reminder or FYI.
    Lipsey's is a distributor and uses the "allocation" system.
    We don't know the supply/inventory quantity.

THE WAY I UNDERSTAND IT.

An FFL/dealer/chain-store will be allocated an unknown quantity by one of several Lipsey's sales reps.
    We don't know how many sales reps there are.
    We don't know how a particular sales rep will allocate his/her allotment.

For example, if a sales rep gets 100 revolvers to allocate, and has 100 dealers wanting one; or has one chain-store wanting all 100; it'll be up to that sales rep to decide how to allocate those 100 revolvers.

Another sales rep may have another 100 revolvers, with none of his/her FFLs willing to invest in those new revolvers due to zero customer feedback. Does the sales rep go out and sell the new product or provide the allocation to another sales rep who does have the demand?

All this might be decided over a cup of coffee or a sales meeting.

I just want one (right now). We shall see on this forum which of us get one/two/three/four, whatever quantity desired.

Yes, I logged into Lipseys with my work's dealer login and they are indeed allocated items. I have two on the wish list: a 442UC for myself, and a 432 for a gentleman who does our reloading classes. I just found out yesterday his son works for S&W and was in that ShotShow released Lipseys video and was a part of the project. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Just a reminder or FYI.
    Lipsey's is a distributor and uses the "allocation" system.
    We don't know the supply/inventory quantity.

THE WAY I UNDERSTAND IT.

An FFL/dealer/chain-store will be allocated an unknown quantity by one of several Lipsey's sales reps.
    We don't know how many sales reps there are.
    We don't know how a particular sales rep will allocate his/her allotment.

For example, if a sales rep gets 100 revolvers to allocate, and has 100 dealers wanting one; or has one chain-store wanting all 100; it'll be up to that sales rep to decide how to allocate those 100 revolvers.

Another sales rep may have another 100 revolvers, with none of his/her FFLs willing to invest in those new revolvers due to zero customer feedback. Does the sales rep go out and sell the new product or provide the allocation to another sales rep who does have the demand?

All this might be decided over a cup of coffee or a sales meeting.

I just want one (right now). We shall see on this forum which of us get one/two/three/four, whatever quantity desired.

This is how it works:

New and hard to get items are marked "allocated" for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, if we don't mark them that way as soon as they are received and hits our system that inventory would show up as available on our online dealer ordering system and would get wiped out by whichever dealers see it first. That would take away the reps ability to fill the orders they have taken from their dealers. Secondly, it allows our reps (currently 55) to have equal amounts to sell to their customers and facilitates spreading them out. We do not allow our reps to sell all their allocations to one dealer. In essence that would be a dumb move on their part anyways, because good sales reps know that if you give a dealer one or two hard to get guns they will usually order more non-allocated items to go with it. It's better for them to spread that out across numerous dealers than blow it all on one. Unlike some of our competitors, we do not hold allocations hostage with dealers forcing them to order a bunch of crap to just get a hot gun.

You also have to keep in mind two things. First, our reps also call out and let their dealers know when new stuff is coming and take orders off those call outs. They don't just sit back waiting for customers to call them. Secondly, we rarely get all of any exclusive run in at one time. It is usually spread out over time. Just because the first shipment sells out doesn't mean they are all gone. If a dealer doesn't get one off the first batch, it just means they had more dealers in front of them in line. Our reps really work hard on spreading them out as fairly as possible, but as you can imagine, when you are allocated say 20 guns and you have 100 customer after you to get one or multiples it can be a stressful time. I was in the sales side for 20 years and I can tell you it's not easy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JEC View Post
    Your source is a little off on his or her info....
    Both glad and a little sad to read that

It’s pretty much the same for DOD weapons and munitions…
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Can confirm that its a hell of a balancing act managing a hot new launch and making sure its spread around the various channels / shops reasonably. But you need to start out manually assigning these vs automated FiFo because that'd let the big folks corner the market far too easily.

On a non-industry point; I've now ordered my custom kydex holster for this because I do fully intend to roll it into my carry lineup. This might end up being the only non-Beretta in my normal rotation.
    Product Manager: ProShop, Collaborations and Special Projects
    Former R&D designer
    Beretta USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_G View Post
    Can confirm that its a hell of a balancing act managing a hot new launch and making sure its spread around the various channels / shops reasonably. But you need to start out manually assigning these vs automated FiFo because that'd let the big folks corner the market far too easily.

On a non-industry point; I've now ordered my custom kydex holster for this because I do fully intend to roll it into my carry lineup. This might end up being the only non-Beretta in my normal rotation.
    Spot on Ben. That's why we allocate to the reps and not directly to the dealer. There would be a handful of dealers that would own the majority of the inventory if we did it that way and that's not good for the consumer.

That's a great compliment coming from you. You guys are killing it on the semi pistol and shotgun front.

User Tag List