Page 85 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: New revolvers at SHOT/Lipsey's release

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Thread drift, I hate 40, but I don’t think it’s fair to put .40 S&W in that category- it saw widespread LE adoption probably surpassing 9mm from the 90s until the 2010s. 20 years of nationwide use isn’t exactly a flash in the pan. It’s almost remarkable how quickly it’s died.

None of those other calibers ever saw widespread use
    I like .40, and yeah it's ridiculous to call it a flash in the pan, or even say it's dead now.
    For over 20 years if a new handgun came out, it was in .40, with 9mm being the gimme.
    It's not the hot thing, but give it a couple years and all the cheap police-trade ins, it will wind up like 10mm & 5.7, going through a resurgence as people get bored.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I like .40, and yeah it's ridiculous to call it a flash in the pan, or even say it's dead now.
    For over 20 years if a new handgun came out, it was in .40, with 9mm being the gimme.
    It's not the hot thing, but give it a couple years and all the cheap police-trade ins, it will wind up like 10mm & 5.7, going through a resurgence as people get bored.
    It was popular on PF a few months ago in trade in and field pistol threads!

.40 isn’t a bad round as a compromise of recoil, velocity, bullet weight and diameter etc etc given everything we know now. It’s just a little less ideal than 9mm based on modern bullets and current knowledge and thought.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Thread drift, I hate 40, but I don’t think it’s fair to put .40 S&W in that category- it saw widespread LE adoption probably surpassing 9mm from the 90s until the 2010s. 20 years of nationwide use isn’t exactly a flash in the pan. It’s almost remarkable how quickly it’s died.

None of those other calibers ever saw widespread use
    Even wilder thread drift, but .40 and the caliber wars 2.0 of the 90s and 2000s were why 365 style slim double stack 9s took so long to be “invented”.

All of the polymer guns were made to fit .40 and .45 mags and the mags were just ribbed down to 9mm. Turns out, if you just use a Hi Power/CZ75/226/92 style dedicated 9mm width mag, you can make a pretty skinny gun… but prior to the mid 2010s every new 9mm was really designed around .40 and even .45

For law enforcement/institutional use, it’s definitely accurate to say the .40 is dead. For commercial sales, not so much.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I type this as I just received 1,000 rounds of .40 fmj ammo for my remaining G23gen3, having sold off my G27gen3s, G22various-gens, and G35gen3.
    I realize "dead" is a vague term and I'm now in the "commercial" category. My old department transitioned from the G22gen3 to the G17gen4 9mm ~2012.

I do believe there are still some LE departments still with the .40. I believe California's "CHP" is one of them with ~6500 sworn. I don't know what other agencies/departments might still be using .40 for general issue; maybe someone else knows.

I agree 9mm is the most-issued caliber for LE and Mil handguns.

What large agencies/departments are using would be good to know, whether 9mm, .40, .357SIG, .45ACP. It's hard to keep up unless one is in the industry and responsible for marketing or selling to the nation's LE community. Any volunteers to post such knowledge?
    Last edited by L-2; 04-05-2024 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Thank you my friend.

It truly is a combination of Years + Miles... but mostly miles!
    Brother, I totally get that. My legs are not what they used to be, either.

Called Cabelas. They still haven’t seen hide nor hair of my 632UC.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Attachment 117036
    First rounds through the 432UC. Love the sights and trigger. However, the VZ grips are not for me at all. They hit a pressure point at the base of my thumb that is just irritating. Goes to show that no grip is perfect for everyone.

I don’t have this issue with Hogue bantams, @rhamre grips, PGS, UM Spegels, real Spegels, CT-105’s or even factory S&W boots on any of the centennials from 43c through 340PD.

Put some PGS on after I got home as a placeholder while I continue the search for the perfect grips to make this my “Ultimate” J frame.

Attachment 117037

Side note. My original 432 with Bantams weighs 13.4oz, 432UC with PGS 15.2oz.
    Name:  IMG_2316.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  37.7 KB

Quoted myself from WDYST thread.

My favorite shop is a Lipsey's dealer so i paid them a visit today. They are going to reach out to their rep and see if they can get one for me. I told them i would take either of the 4 variants with first preference toward a black 32. I'll be excited to hear from them later in the week.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

So, I wonder what’s next in que? I would love a Lightweight Model 12, but make it .327 as well. Bobbed DAO.

User Tag List