Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Emergency/Survival Food?

Field Crafts gun stuff and training can be cringe sometimes but to his credit he has sought out and hired people that do this kind of stuff organically on ranches, etc. They have an online training portal that has been a God send when it comes to pointing me in the right direction and gradually building my families independence. That's what this type of stuff truly is, freedom. I don't have to wonder what I'll do if supply lines slow down or are disrupted, I am my own supplier. I used to scoff at this type of thing but if anything has proven to be true in my life time (I was born in 91) things continue to get worst when the older people in my life have said it will get better. I now understand that when people don't experience big emergencies or global situations throughout their life, they assume those coming after them won't. Time and time again I've believed that notion, and then something else happens to our country/ the world where I scratch my chin and wonder when the good times are coming.

So now I operate on the assumption that it won't get better, just progressively worst. I hope it won't but just incase our country continues to degrade figuratively and literally, I won't be blindsided.

Site Supporter
    It's easy to go down a rabbit hole with this stuff.

A simple 'stash' of a half-dozen cases of bottled water, some bulk packs of cheap TP and garbage bags, and some bulk pack cases of canned stuff from Costco, etc, can make a huge difference in a typical 1-2 week 'disturbance'.
    Obviously, if you want to be indefinitely self-sustaining that's a ton more work, but doing the above buys worthwhile time for most families, and doesn't get crazy side-eyes from in-laws or other folks.

I also have to say that modern MREs are a lot better than the old ones. Yes, it sucks to eat them for weeks on end and doubly so if you don't drink enough water with them. But compared to any other Mountain House or other meals I'll take circa 2015+ MREs every time.

Site Supporter
    Bought some canned goods - just because and some beans in the Mexican food section as I like them. Goya - makes small cans of pinto, white, black and red beans. Their organic chic peas are some of the best tasting garbanzos I've had. Also some single serving tuna in cans. Hard to find regular sections but the Kosher section here has ones much small that the standard. Throw that in a can of beans and you are good to go, so to speak.

A couple of six packs of Minute Maid OJ. I've discussed the long term - not for us.

BTW, canned Eel from China is decent. Throw in Annie Chun's noodle soap or over some already cooked rice in the Asian section with some Kikkoman Eel sauce. Good dinner.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

For those with even relatively modest amount of land, one of my plans for when/if ever get out of renting into owning, that does both food and reserve water supply and possibly part of physical security layer is a fish pond.

Don't remember citation information for the various sources but the following ideas combine elements from several different sources, some were preppers some were into sustainable agriculture, some into aquaculture, offgrid living, etc.

Anyway start with fish pond.

Add small lights on floats or otherwise mounted close to water to attract insects to provide free food for the fish. Original source for that used 12V dome light type bulbs but now days multiple LED solutions from solar sidewalk lights etc.

Can also build one or more mesh box that floats on surface and throw table/meat/fish scraps into, blow flies will lay eggs in that and wind/wave action will shake maggots/grubs out so more food for fish. Original source for that was someone revealing secret weapon of fishing guide.

Aquaculture is more commonly used to refer to fish/seafood production, but I'm using it in the less common way referring to the combining fish production with plant production https://www.btlliners.com/growing-pl...th-aquaculture loooks like the newer term for that is "Aquaponics". I've read and seen youtubes about people doing this with above ground tanks/pools and hydroponics for the plants as well as Earthship type homes https://earthship.com/ and ponds. Some add Rabbit or similar critter with worm farm under rabbit cage (manure and etc equal worm food IIRC) to feed to the fish.

No reason the fish pond or above grade fish tank (think dragons teeth/vehicle barrier above ground elevated planters for plants can also serve that function https://joegardener.com/podcast/rais...ardening-pt-1/) can't also serve as physical barrier for physical perimeter security, and the night lights for attracting insects would also backlight any intruders crossing that sector.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Those are pretty expensive for the volume. If you have the space, an unused food-grade 55-gallon drum and a hand pump would be better.
    True.
    But, one thing I had seen done with the water bricks in an apartment, was they used them as a base for a bed. A few water bricks at each corner, sheet of plywood, mattress, and viola! Twin bed.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    True.
    But, one thing I had seen done with the water bricks in an apartment, was they used them as a base for a bed. A few water bricks at each corner, sheet of plywood, mattress, and viola! Twin bed.

My wife saw the water bricks and told me that was the smartest idea I've had in awhile.

Rice can really stretch out a meal. Soy sauce makes ALOT of things taste better. Both store really well. Also, go to chinatown and grab some of the dried stuff (shrimps, scallops, fish, seaweed, etc.), they hold up well for a long time too and re-hydrate well.

Site Supporter
    Don't have to go the Chinatown here. With a major university, the big markets have large Asian sections and there is large Asian - Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, etc. supermarket nearby. Also a large Indian market. More Asian restaurants than standard USA meat and potato joints. That's ok - the nearby Thai place is awesome.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List