Thread: Colt Gunsite Edition

Colt Gunsite Edition

Colt stainless, plain steel front sight - distributor model.

Didn't find a lot on a search, but what are your thoughts on these? Thinking about adding one to compliment my TRP. How do they stack up? For sure will have to change the short trigger if I jump.

Site Supporter
    There have been a lot of variations on the Gunsite Colts over the years. Some were built in the Custom Shop but are not full CCS guns, some built by the Gunsite smithy back in the day, and some merely production line guns with a little extra work involved.

They are all Series 70 guns I believe, many (but not all) have front cocking serrations, and they have short triggers and front strap serrations. I think they are dehorned for carry as well. They tend to come equipped with thin grip panels, which I would have to swap out. The short trigger is based on Cooper's preference. And I think they might also be sprung differently than other production Colts.

The build quality and value of a specific Gunsite Colt depends on where and when it was built. I'd say they are mostly pretty solid, but not up to the level of a true Custom Shop pistol.

I did the API 250 and 499 classes at Gunsite years ago. IMHO, Robinson's evaluation is correct. They are not precision machined, finely fitted custom guns or anything like that. They are just production type pistols, with some non standard features that Col. Cooper at the time preferred. That being said, nothing wrong with the Gunsite pistols.

I carried a stainless Colt Gunsite for ten years, before giving it to my youngest son on his 21st birthday.

Nice pistol, solid and reliable but nothing standout special. Pretty much like a TRP.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Gunsite just put a new custom made 1911 on their website. Being made in house, by Finks Custom Guns. The parts are “being sourced”. Retail is $1799.

The Gunsite pistols circa 2010 or 2012 were nice guns. I'd happily buy one of this vintage again.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Azmarlin39a View Post
    Gunsite just put a new custom made 1911 on their website. Being made in house, by Finks Custom Guns. The parts are “being sourced”. Retail is $1799.
    Does the Pro Shop still stock the various Colts? It might be worth a phone call to see.

I'm actually surprised Ruger hasn't teamed up with Gunsite for a 1911. They're practically neighbors.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

The one I had my eye on has a very low round count but has been carried a bunch. Wear isn't bad at all, it just needs a good cleaning and lube. He's had it a few years and it's definitely a distributor gun. He has it priced too high, so I'm going to wait and see if he comes down enough to get me to jump, which I doubt. 15 Benjamins might be okay if it were built and sold out of Gunsite's shop but this one definitely isn't.

User Tag List