Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Rifle from PWS--the UXR

I have a hard policy that I won't buy new release rifles in the first year. This rifle is making it very, very hard to follow that policy.

The specs on this rifle are everything that I'd want in a modular rifle. The ONLY thing that it perhaps lacks is a forward QR sling attachment point on the hand guard, but this is an easy issue to address and I appreciate that some people would rather us the M-LOK slots to add their own. However, every other spec is extremely well thought out.

If this thing comes close to the accuracy specs and is as reliable as a good quality DI AR such as BCM or DD, then PWS will sell a ton of these at it could become the premier next-gen battle rifle.

One thing to note, the upper is the serialized part. This has its pluses and minuses. It is a very long billet monolithic upper receiver that appears to end 4-5 inches from the muzzle device on a 16" barrel. This great "rail estate" if you like forward night vision, lasers, etc. However, it sometimes limits how short you can go on SBR barrel lengths and still mount suppressors. On of the advantages of my MCX upper is that it was short enough that I could easily put a 9" 300 blk barrel on it and still have clearance from the upper and short handguard to mount a suppressor. We'll have to see this one once it's released.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

ETA: I saw a video at Shot of a 10.5” 5.56. There appeared to be little to no gap between the suppressor and top rail. Thus, I don’t think it can go shorter than 10” without running into clearance issues with a suppressor. Probably only an issue with .300 blk shooters who like to take advantage of the caliber’s efficiency with ultrashort barrel lengths.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I'm optimistic. PWS makes really, really nice rifles.

If anyone can pull this off, it's them.
    I agree - My MK216 has been great and easily shoots sub MOA with good ammo, and I’m often tempted to purchase a MK116 upper as well.

I do however wonder what the target market for such an endeavor is?

Same market as the MCX, Bren2, Carmel, SCAR, XCR, etc.

Some of us like a folding stock, fully ambi, suppressor friendly, AR alternative that can alternate between 16” rifle and 10.5” SBR with less than 1 MOA shift between conversions.

However, the UXR may be lighter, more suppressor friendly with 3 as opposed to 2 gas settings, more accurate, and even cheaper (depending on street price in a year or two) than the competition.

When it comes to market impact, I’ve seen posts on multiple forums from those who have decided to forgo purchasing either a Bren2 or Carmel to see what this rifle delivers. I’m one of them as I’ve been weighing the various pros and cons between the Bren2 and Carmel for a couple of months. The specs on this gun are sufficiently superior to those guns that I’ve delayed that purchase for a year while I see how this rifle pans out. That competition will only benefit the consumer who still seems to have a voracious appetite for modular rifles.
    Last edited by Sensei; 01-28-2024 at 05:07 PM.

While the SCAR and CZ Bren and B&T rifles seem to do just fine without an ejection port cover, it probably wouldn't be to hard to add one. Also make high quality cold hammer forged chrome lined barrels available in the new 6mm Max caliber for the UXR rifle. IMHO, this cartridge will probably obsolete the 6mm ARC. The 6mm Max would be ideal for a weapon that has a quick change barrel system like the URX does. Do barrels in 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 18" and 20" inch lengths.

I recall these were to begin shipping in February. Nothing that I can find on the internet in terms of an update.

I heard three more weeks from a variety of sources.

Site Supporter
    Before I moved I lived/worked near PWS and shot with a number of employees there. Everyone I've met from PWS has been very knowledgeable, friendly, and just good people. Initially this announcement came as a pretty big surprise, but the more I learned about it the more interested I was. They have a lot of experience with 7.62x39 guns, so I'm hopeful their conversion is better than the bren. I'm not in a huge hurry to get more rifles, but I could see getting one in the somewhat near future. Looks like a winner and I wish them the best with it!

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Same market as the MCX, Bren2, Carmel, SCAR, XCR, etc.

Some of us like a folding stock, fully ambi, suppressor friendly, AR alternative that can alternate between 16” rifle and 10.5” SBR with less than 1 MOA shift between conversions.

However, the UXR may be lighter, more suppressor friendly with 3 as opposed to 2 gas settings, more accurate, and even cheaper (depending on street price in a year or two) than the competition.

When it comes to market impact, I’ve seen posts on multiple forums from those who have decided to forgo purchasing either a Bren2 or Carmel to see what this rifle delivers. I’m one of them as I’ve been weighing the various pros and cons between the Bren2 and Carmel for a couple of months. The specs on this gun are sufficiently superior to those guns that I’ve delayed that purchase for a year while I see how this rifle pans out. That competition will only benefit the consumer who still seems to have a voracious appetite for modular rifles.
    Thanks for the explanation. I wasn’t casting shade, I just am curious the reason for what be a large expense on the part of a relatively small company to break into a market where the legacy companies dominate. Forgive me for my ignorance as much of me seems to be stuck back in 1948.

As mentioned, I have been very happy with my PWS rifle and am always considering building a 556 gun. Depending on how this years Colorado legislation goes and how this rifle shakes out - it might be worth investing in one…..

PWS sent an email that the first shipment is delayed until mid-April.

User Tag List