Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Icy roads - steep hills - tire solutions?

Total Tangent, but got one of these for our SUV https://www.amazon.com/Z-Red-Drive-E.../dp/B0021UL1ZK built in cheater bar, use impact sockets with it because AFAIK impact socket can take lot more torque. Don't use the cheater extension for tightening lug nuts but if needed works real slick to break them loose.

Got it so ether myself with my PITA pain & etc issues can break lugnuts free easily or gf can if she needs to if I'm not nearby.

I can't use impact or power tools anymore with my pain issue

That ratchet is really tough, I've used it for busting ice when we needed to from concrete near a door, ice was preventing door from opening, away from home when I didn't have more suitable tool handy.

Some of the reviews for it are pretty impressive as well, people using for far more demanding tasks than anything I'll ever use for.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    Leveraging that relationship with first responders to smooth the way in engaging the Public Works Department seems like a logical next step to getting what you need...
    This, and good studded snow tires would be the direction I would be headed in. The public works department needs to prioritize this hill he's dealing with... certainly not "get to it when we can" ... Which is their standard response I'm sure. Everyone thinks the road in front of their house should be #1, but dangerous roads/hills/intersections should get moved up the list.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    What problems have you seen?

Mechanics I know and shops I've been in last several years seem to use them exclusively for tires, not saying that brand that was just random brand example from quick Google.

I get tires rotated every oil change on both our vehicles, so just on personally owned vehicles those type of torque sticks have been used well over 50 times (well 50 x 4 tires=200 times) that I know of with zero issues.
    It’s easy honestly. Stretch or let’s say expanding bolts.depending on your vehicle are a problem. You probably know know how to correct a torque problem.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    This, and good studded snow tires would be the direction I would be headed in. The public works department needs to prioritize this hill he's dealing with... certainly not "get to it when we can" ... Which is their standard response I'm sure. Everyone thinks the road in front of their house should be #1, but dangerous roads/hills/intersections should get moved up the list.

This seems like a pied-a-terre shaped problem. It wouldn’t do your wife any good (probably), but it’s cheaper than both moving and helicopters.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Does anyone have experience with e.g. Subaru's 'Hill Descent Mode'? It's one of the whizbang electronic things where you set a speed of 5 MPH or whatever, then leave the brakes and throttle alone, and the car modulates the brakes/throttle/vehicle stability system/yadda so you just creep down the hill.

Part of me thinks 'that's no diff than gently riding the brakes', but you never know. It might avoid the problem mentioned above where at slow speeds the antilock brakes just think you are stopped.

Anyway, does anyone have experience with it? Good if you are hamfooted, but no better than a careful driver? Best thing since sliced bread?

(there may be other companies with similar systems, which would also be interesting)

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    Buy an extra set of OEM wheels, usually cheap of facebook marketplace. Buy Nokian Studded winter tires. Use the winter tires in the snow and ice months and your original wheel and tire set in the ice free time of year. studded winter tires enable drivers to safely navigate ice covered roadways.

This is the answer. And downsize from the 21”wheels for better availability. I have tens of thousands of miles on studded Hakka snow tires and they are by far the best thing on ice I have used. In my current location studs are not allowed so it’s Hakka R2s but on ice they aren’t anywhere near as good. Studs are fine on the highway. Ultimate grip on bare pavement suffers, but everything is a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    Does anyone have experience with e.g. Subaru's 'Hill Descent Mode'? It's one of the whizbang electronic things where you set a speed of 5 MPH or whatever, then leave the brakes and throttle alone, and the car modulates the brakes/throttle/vehicle stability system/yadda so you just creep down the hill.

Part of me thinks 'that's no diff than gently riding the brakes', but you never know. It might avoid the problem mentioned above where at slow speeds the antilock brakes just think you are stopped.

Anyway, does anyone have experience with it? Good if you are hamfooted, but no better than a careful driver? Best thing since sliced bread?

(there may be other companies with similar systems, which would also be interesting)
    In a Range Rover it is amazing. It manages engine, transmission and brakes far better than most humans. Never tried it in a Subaru.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post

I used it in my wife’s Subaru to go up and down snowy roads my lifted KO2 equipped Tundra couldn’t do in 4 low.

Site Supporter
    If the section of road is too much for you and the neighbors to maintain with melt and sand than a beater with 4 chains or a UTV with tracks or chained up. Park the normal car and take the beater/UTV and out. UTV could have other uses.

I love chaining up my truck but on and off is cumbersome as well as rolling on dry pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    This is the answer. And downsize from the 21”wheels for better availability. I have tens of thousands of miles on studded Hakka snow tires and they are by far the best thing on ice I have used. In my current location studs are not allowed so it’s Hakka R2s but on ice they aren’t anywhere near as good. Studs are fine on the highway. Ultimate grip on bare pavement suffers, but everything is a compromise.

In a Range Rover it is amazing. It manages engine, transmission and brakes far better than most humans. Never tried it in a Subaru.
    What are studs like on dry pavement?

I have experience with chains, but only studded tires have experience with is gf's bicycle which worked fine for winter biking into work on days she felt like doing that vs taking the SUV.

From what your saying I assuming with studs unlike chains its safe to drive highway speeds? Just you'll have bit less tracking on dry pavement and more noise?

I know with chains I never wanted to get close to highway speeds on dry pavement, probably never did more than 35-40 mph with chains.

User Tag List