Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Icy roads - steep hills - tire solutions?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    YVK is on a plane, so I can answer this. He needs to go from asleep, when on call, to the hospital and into the cath lab as fast as humanly possible, to open a clogged artery and minimize damage to a patient's heart. Every minute matters. It is completely unpredictable in that it takes him being on call, there being a patient emergency, and there being icy road conditions on the hill from his house down to the hospital. That means no time for putting on chains, changing tires, or calling public works.
    So change wheels at the beginning and end of the season, or when weather is predicted. This will still be the easiest option and at least gives him the opportunity to switch out more frequently if he wants. Hell, if Tire Rack has what he needs, they'll deliver it mounted and balanced.

Buy a extra set of OEM wheels, usually cheap of facebook marketplace. Buy Nokian Studded winter tires. Use the winter tires in the snow and ice months and your original wheel and tire set in the ice free time of year. studded winter tires enable drivers to safely navigate ice covered roadways.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Yeah just get the torque extension + sockets and use impact https://www.amazon.com/Torque-Impact.../dp/B07KN8T8Y3
    I have seen wheel of events because people used such a tool. In short no. I dislike anything like a torque stick.

We had a windstorm last year that closed most of the primary roads on the Island. I mean there were dozens of large trees down everywhere. The fire dept. started cutting the trees on the roads immediately. Our PW dept. is small and that job would have taken them days. The roads have to be clear so first responders can get to everyone. Pretty important because the nearest hospital is 45 minutes away in normal weather.

So I'm thinking your fire dept. or sheriffs dept might have a solution even if your PW doesn't. Ask the police to give you a ride.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

YVK is on a plane, so I can answer this. He needs to go from asleep, when on call, to the hospital and into the cath lab as fast as humanly possible, to open a clogged artery and minimize damage to a patient's heart. Every minute matters. It is completely unpredictable in that it takes him being on call, there being a patient emergency, and there being icy road conditions on the hill from his house down to the hospital. That means no time for putting on chains, changing tires, or calling public works.
    Then it would seem he should move or when on call during inclement weather stay in a different place especially if a minute or 2 is the difference. As it seems the roads in his hood are impassable and unpredictable this time of year. Possibly a trailer or motorhome instead of an extra car?

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Yeah just get the torque extension + sockets and use impact https://www.amazon.com/Torque-Impact.../dp/B07KN8T8Y3
    I sorta knew of these, but didn't realize they were torque limiting.

I read the first 2 pages and skipped to the end.

Easiest solution, gather support of people and pay for a person/company to plow/salt your roads, set your expectations with the person/company and be done with it or have a beater with studs and use that for those important trips were you are called in.

If you take the responsibility on yourself be prepared to get all sorts of bottles of spirits/wine or backed goods if your neighbors are cool.

Sorry forgot to ask, what was your recommendation beside the helicopter? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I have seen wheel of events because people used such a tool. In short no. I dislike anything like a torque stick.
    What problems have you seen?

Mechanics I know and shops I've been in last several years seem to use them exclusively for tires, not saying that brand that was just random brand example from quick Google.

I get tires rotated every oil change on both our vehicles, so just on personally owned vehicles those type of torque sticks have been used well over 50 times (well 50 x 4 tires=200 times) that I know of with zero issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I sorta knew of these, but didn't realize they were torque limiting.
    Yeah first time I noticed mechanic buddy using them on my car, back when I put on lots of miles for work, I asked what they were. Thought it was pretty slick idea.

User Tag List