Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lessons from the 10 Jan PNG Riots

Lessons from the 10 Jan PNG Riots

As some of you may know, Papua New Guinea suffered from a series of major riots on 10 January.

Basically, a pay cut in the public service payroll led to a police strike. That led to a day of looting in the capitol of Port Moresby on 10 January, and that was followed by a series of copycat rioting & looting in other cities around the country on the 11th.

As it happened, I was quite lucky on the 11th, even though I goofed up bigtime. I happened to have a trip to Goroka town scheduled on that day, and even though I knew about the POM looting, I went ahead with my schedule, around 8:30am. The plan was to stop at 2 stores, then hit the bank. The first store was open, but the two next to it were closed and shuttered. We went on into town, and parked at the second shop. The store was in the process of closing, and running the customers out so they could lock up. We then went to the bank, but they were closed. As we went to leave town, we noticed the change in the large crowds that usually stand around the streets & sidewalks of Goroka. Happily, we were gone before things got nasty about an hour later.
    As it happened, there was looting of a few stores, and 3 rioters were shot & killed. Happily, the local law & military was able to shut things down before it got really bad.

So, the lessons from this event:
    -Pay attention to the news. As POM goes, so goes the nation, and beware.
    -Be willing to cancel and wait for things to settle.
    -The first stop should have been a Clue to turn around and go home.
    -Likewise the second.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Intense. Thanks for the post.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

glad you got out unscathed
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Site Supporter
    Glad you avoided any danger to yourself and your family. Your lessons are spot on, and any of us could have easily been in the same position if this had happened in our locality. I hope this situation gets straightened out quickly.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I think the big lesson was to hold off a few days and see if the unrest was going to spread, and wait until things get calm.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

My lesson would be time to find another job, unless you just love the place and plan to retire there.

15 people were reportedly killed.

https://www.wfxrtv.com/news/ap-top-h...leave-15-dead/
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

15 is a typical weekend in Port Moresby. Which is why I avoid Port Moresby as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    15 is a typical weekend in Port Moresby. Which is why I avoid Port Moresby as much as possible.
    Sounds like Chiraq. Carry on.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    are you able to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    are you able to carry?
    Nope. I'd have an easier time of legally getting a brand new EvoIII with folding stock & mag full of HST hollowpoints in New Jersey than getting any firearm in PNG legally.

Even the illegal guns here tend to be homemade jobs using pipe & stapleguns.

User Tag List