Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical plugs that can be controlled with iPhone using Bluetooth, no Wi-Fi?

Electrical plugs that can be controlled with iPhone using Bluetooth, no Wi-Fi?

SWMBO enjoys the home automation I set up for controlling lights and would like to do something similar at work. However, she is not allowed to put personal devices on the school Wi-fi so an Alexa is out.

Some of the plugs sound like they will work with a phone app using BT and no Wi-fi, but it’s clear as mud. Does anyone have experience with this?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have not run across BT plugs. WiFi yes (I have FEIT). What’s the objection to WiFi based plugs?. Sorry misread the post.

I’ll see if I can find something.

The plugs I have direct experience with don't do Bluetooth, but a quick search shows Govee might be worth a look. They have mini circular plugs, larger rectangular plugs, and dual plugs. The GE Cync could be another option. Glancing through reviews, I get the impression that you might need to do the initial setup at home on WiFi, but after that they ought to work with only Bluetooth. Not sure if you'd be able to set schedules and such with Bluetooth, or only turn devices on and off.

If all she needs to do is turn some lights on and off, you might be able to get away with a plug that uses a dedicated remote rather than a phone to control it. I've used this one; worked fine, but be aware it has no channels or anything to set, so if you buy two outlets I'm pretty sure one remote will control both (which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending). Same company has other options though for two or three outlets.

Many years before smart plugs became a thing, I used X10, and I'm surprised to see they still exist and seem to offer some of the exact same products. You use a remote which sends a wireless signal to a transceiver. The transceiver is a switchable outlet itself but also sends the signal to other modules over the electrical wiring. If this is of interest, shoot me a PM...while I haven't used any of it in years, I think I still have it.
    Last edited by EricM; 01-18-2024 at 07:07 PM.

I have no information on specific plugs, but will comment that some of these "smart plugs" emit a high frequency noise that pets find VERY disturbing. A friend's dog stopped eating, began having accidents in the house, and acted generally terrified while they had these installed. Just a don't fuck with your dog PSA...

Thanks, gang - setting up here on our Wi-Fi and then being able to turn lights on and off using BT would work. Right now she is plugging and unplugging things behind furniture.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

What light has a plug but no switch on the light itself?

I have Feit Electric bulbs that are programed and controlled via wifi. I set them up in a useful pattern that has different start and end times everyday. That way my place always looks occupied and there isn't an obvious pattern that repeats daily. Additionally I built a random pattern that looks like someone got up at zero dark 30.

I thought this was a thread about electronic ear plugs for hearing protection and thus the first post was quite confusing.

Continue, lol

Site Supporter
    There are other kinds of plugs, don't know if they can be controlled with a phone. Nor do I want to. Anyway, my wife wanted an electric toothbrush, so I bought her a fancy one that you can control its timing and speed and keep records on an app. Thus, I had to go back and buy one that goes on and off. I now have the modern marvel and just turn it on and off. I ignore its flashing lights.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    What light has a plug but no switch on the light itself?
    String lights, in this case if they have linear switches they are behind furniture.
    Ken

User Tag List