Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Roof

New Roof

I may be getting a new roof as early as next Monday...depending on weather and the completion of an earlier job by the crew.

We've been in the house for 20 years and the roof is about 23 to 24 years old now...so it did its job.

Been an expensive year, what with the addition of a whole home generator last June and now this...but it'll be nice to have it done.

Gonna put up new gutters and guards as well since we got a nice price on everything...and the old ones, while still functional, could use replacing. Downspouts are fine.

Now I gotta think of where to go to get the missus and the dog away from the circus for the day.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I may be getting a new roof as early as next Monday...depending on weather and the completion of an earlier job by the crew.

We've been in the house for 20 years and the roof is about 23 to 24 years old now...so it did its job.

Been an expensive year, what with the addition of a whole home generator last June and now this...but it'll be nice to have it done.

Gonna put up new gutters and guards as well since we got a nice price on everything...and the old ones, while still functional, could use replacing. Downspouts are fine.

Now I gotta think of where to go to get the missus and the dog away from the circus for the day.
    If moss is an issue where you live, and you're getting a comp roof, they have shingles treated to kill moss. We had a new roof about 7 years ago and so far no moss. PNW tested.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    If moss is an issue where you live, and you're getting a comp roof, they have shingles treated to kill moss. We had a new roof about 7 years ago and so far no moss. PNW tested.
    I believe these have that particular treatment, at least as far as algae is concerned.

Exciting stuff, will probably cost twice what it would have pre covid. One thing to be aware of, that I learned in a roof design class a million years ago. Most asphalt shingles have a heat activated adhesive strip and if it's too cold they won't seal. You can get a lot of windblown dust and debris in there that will prevent them from sealing when the weather warms up, so they're more prone to blowing off. The roofers can use an approved asphalt roofing cement-the shingle manufacturer will have cold weather installation instructions so make sure the roofers follow them. They told us back then you could use a heat gun or blowtorch to warm them, but I don't know if that's a thing anymore. What could go wrong with a propane torch on your roof on a windy day?

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    Exciting stuff, will probably cost twice what it would have pre covid. One thing to be aware of, that I learned in a roof design class a million years ago. Most asphalt shingles have a heat activated adhesive strip and if it's too cold they won't seal. You can get a lot of windblown dust and debris in there that will prevent them from sealing when the weather warms up, so they're more prone to blowing off. The roofers can use an approved asphalt roofing cement-the shingle manufacturer will have cold weather installation instructions so make sure the roofers follow them. They told us back then you could use a heat gun or blowtorch to warm them, but I don't know if that's a thing anymore. What could go wrong with a propane torch on your roof on a windy day?
    This guy has a really good rep around here. He's done by far the majority of roofs in this sub-division, has been using the same crew for 16 years and I've never heard a bad word from anyone about the work. So, I'm thankful for all that. What I'm hoping for is no surprises after the shingle and gutters are removed...but I'm prepared either way.

That's doing good for a composition roof. They last about 8 years around here thanks to the hail storms.

My neighbors just got a new roof a few months ago. She said the roof had been on the house since new. The house was built 27-28 years ago. I was kind of shocked because I watched them build the house. I've been in this neighborhood longer than anyone. Another one of my neighbors describes me as the missing link (fossil) because I knew everyone (except the person that built it) that has owned their house. It's a grand 3 story money pit but she likes it. Not so sure about her husband.

Good move on the treated material, Blues. That roof will be there when you're 100.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-18-2024 at 07:54 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Sounds like you have it covered (sorry).

You might have to replace a few sheets of plywood if the roofers find any soft spots. I'm sure they have one of those giant magnets to pick up any roofing tacks that roll off onto the ground.

Maybe load the bride up and drive to Greenville to sample one of the eateries they promote in the downtown area. It's what, about an hour away?

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Sounds like you have it covered (sorry).

You might have to replace a few sheets of plywood if the roofers find any soft spots. I'm sure they have one of those giant magnets to pick up any roofing tacks that roll off onto the ground.

Maybe load the bride up and drive to Greenville to sample one of the eateries they promote in the downtown area. It's what, about an hour away?
    I know for sure of a couple spots on the roof that will need new plywood. We've covered that. We should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

Take her to a ladies day spa?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List