Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a holster for a Ruger 22/45 MKIII with light and suppressor.

Need a holster for a Ruger 22/45 MKIII with light and suppressor.

This super awesome gun is one of my favorites. I'd like to have some means of carrying it in the field while hunting or camping. I recognize that this will likely require some form of a custom holster. I think I'd also prefer that the holster could be used with or without the suppressor on the gun. In my mind, something styled like the original Raven Phantom pancake style kydex holsters would work, and rimfire cans are only 1" in diameter, so just leaving the muzzle open ought to allow clearance for the suppressor to pass through the bottom of the holster.

Every holster I currently own (except for my G43 pocket holster) was made by JM Custom Kydex or Safariland. I've owned a few other "custom" kydex holsters in the past and was disappointed in the quality. Blackpoint Tactical is local to me and I've been in contact with them about it, but they balked at the suppressor part.

Anyone have any insight or done something similar? I do recognize that drawing with a suppressor on the gun requires an unusually high draw stroke, but this is for a field gun, not an "oh shit" kilt in the skreetz gun.

Here's the gun for reference.

Thanks!

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Maybe an X-FER?

https://www.armordilloconcealment.com/products/x-fer-v2

I use a SureFire Masterfire for my suppressed CP33, but that's obviously light dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Maybe an X-FER?

https://www.armordilloconcealment.com/products/x-fer-v2

I use a SureFire Masterfire for my suppressed CP33, but that's obviously light dependent.
    Interesting. I actually used to have an XFER 8 or 10 years ago. Probably not my first pick for this application, but appreciate the input!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I use one of these for the same setup minus the light (I cut a notch in front for the RDS):

https://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-8.../dp/B006L8BL94

Be aware that with the can on, you have to lift the grip darn near to your armpit to clear the holster on the draw :-). It's pretty awkward. It seems like that would be an issue with an open bottom one as well.

That Xfer looks pretty nice in that respect, at the price of leaving most of the gun hanging out in the breeze.

You need a custom clamshell. Or a Snick. Or a Judge, I think. Open front.

You can modify a Blackhawk Omnivore fairly easily - there was a write up by Recoil Magazine I believe or just search the internet. Image below is from a Reddit user that performed the mod
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Back ages ago when I worked for a Class 2 SOT dealer, there was a person who solved this problem by modifying a leather chest holster. Kept the rig from being unwieldy or damaged and with practice it was fairly quick to deploy. He also had a couple shirts with lift up bibs that concealed the rig when wearing a jacket or another shirt unbuttoned.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

ASH556:

I run a similar setup. I have been very happy with my Ruger 22/45 Lite. Mine is equipped with a red dot sight and is stupid accurate. It is also helping me learn the red dot world. In terms of holsters, I rarely carry only a 22LR when I am out and about recreating in Montana. Usually, my belt holster is reserved for my centerfire handgun (Typically a Colt 1911 in 45). What I carry the 22/45 in is a Hill People Gear ("HPG") Kit Bag. Here is a link: "https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/71". I have been using HPG gear almost since they started selling them. This is about the only realistic solution I have come up with. You can leave one side open when the gun is equipped with a suppressor. A plus for the HPG bag is that it has plenty of space for spare mags, ammo and the usual survival stuff I carry.

Due to the length of a 22/45 with a suppressor, I don't think belt holsters will work too well. I think an old Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster for an 8 3/8 inch N frame S&W or a "Tanker" style shoulder holster would work best. It all depends on the mission you choose to put the gun too. Food for thought.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Site Supporter
    I'm trying to find the maker, but there's a guy making his own take on the old LBT suppressed 22 tanker style holsters.

ETA - It was Battlecloth holsters, but apparently he just retired.
    Last edited by 757_Magnum; 01-18-2024 at 03:28 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Back ages ago when I worked for a Class 2 SOT dealer, there was a person who solved this problem by modifying a leather chest holster. Kept the rig from being unwieldy or damaged and with practice it was fairly quick to deploy. He also had a couple shirts with lift up bibs that concealed the rig when wearing a jacket or another shirt unbuttoned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    ASH556:

I run a similar setup. I have been very happy with my Ruger 22/45 Lite. Mine is equipped with a red dot sight and is stupid accurate. It is also helping me learn the red dot world. In terms of holsters, I rarely carry only a 22LR when I am out and about recreating in Montana. Usually, my belt holster is reserved for my centerfire handgun (Typically a Colt 1911 in 45). What I carry the 22/45 in is a Hill People Gear ("HPG") Kit Bag. Here is a link: "https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/71". I have been using HPG gear almost since they started selling them. This is about the only realistic solution I have come up with. You can leave one side open when the gun is equipped with a suppressor. A plus for the HPG bag is that it has plenty of space for spare mags, ammo and the usual survival stuff I carry.

Due to the length of a 22/45 with a suppressor, I don't think belt holsters will work too well. I think an old Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster for an 8 3/8 inch N frame S&W or a "Tanker" style shoulder holster would work best. It all depends on the mission you choose to put the gun too. Food for thought.

Bruce
    Crossdraw chest holster seems to me to be the more ideal solution than trying to wear a long barreled .22 Ruger on the belt.

But then, I’ve had my long barreled Ruger .22 for just shy of 24 hours, so my opinion may change. I’ve had a regular length .22 Ruger for 3 decades, though (almost as long as I’ve had a wife); it rides pretty well on a belt for walking around, but is about my limit for that.

User Tag List