Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Springfield TRP Options

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    That's kind of my point. I was hoping for something a little bit better, not so much more of the same. Especially with that price point.

I'm supremely satisfied with a Tisas with tool steel internals that cost me $400. I
    I don't know why Springfield stays with the two-piece guide rod. It's been nothing but a source of complaint since its introduction. Take a worthless feature and make it more complicated.

There's nothing here that justifies the increased price. Some new features, none of which require extra cost to execute. Same parts, same spray/bake finish, no optics cut, no hand fitting.

Dan Wesson or Tisas, currently that's pretty much your best bet.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I took delivery of my two new legacy TRPs yesterday. So far all I've done is take them apart, lube them, and replace the guide rods and plugs with standard parts.

I like the guns, the build quality seems very good, and I'm looking forward to wringing them out at the range this weekend.

I paid around $1600 for each brand new. The quality of my Operator helped me decide to buy the TRPs. The comparison to Dan Wesson is legitimate, but I don't expect buyer's remorse just because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I took delivery of my two new legacy TRPs yesterday. So far all I've done is take them apart, lube them, and replace the guide rods and plugs with standard parts.

I like the guns, the build quality seems very good, and I'm looking forward to wringing them out at the range this weekend.

I paid around $1600 for each brand new. The quality of my Operator helped me decide to buy the TRPs. The comparison to Dan Wesson is legitimate, but I don't expect buyer's remorse just because of it.
    I've owned two of those TRPs. Both were spectacular that ran and ran and were super accurate. One I dumbly sold, the other gifted to a son as a deployment pistol. I like SA 1911s.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post

$1600.00 is an acceptable price for a TRP and I'd buy one for that. I don't want to give the impression that I'm broad brush dumping on the pistol, I'm not. I've always liked the TRP. But, with this current pricing format I think they've gone past the point of diminishing returns.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I’ll buy one of the 5”

I’m not worried about modern MIM parts on a fighting gun

Would like the Commander size but prefer a non ramped barrel

Hmmm...My sense of Cerakote is it's a low end finish that's susceptible to wearing off under normal use, no? Perhaps they expected people to buy these guns for fondling purposes only, as part of their collection.

I don't think a plastic trigger belongs on a 1911. Not for this much anyway. The FLGR I think I could do without, as I'm not sure the weight is worth the added hassle. I only have my Stan Chen SI magwell to compare to, but a two piece magwell at this price point seems...cheap? Putting a particular pattern of VZ grips on is odd, since 1911 owners change their grips like they do their socks. I know I do. I would have expected the FBI slide stop mod at this price point. The slide in this gun doesn't look like it has that.

On the plus side, the tritium sights are nice, and the front strap checkering looks cool.

All in all if you gave me almost 2 grand for a 1911, I don't think I would end up with one of these.

Can you still shave with the 20LPI front strap checkering? My recollection of the TRP was that it was sharp.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Hmmm...My sense of Cerakote is it's a low end finish that's susceptible to wearing off under normal use, no? Perhaps they expected people to buy these guns for fondling purposes only, as part of their collection.

I don't think a plastic trigger belongs on a 1911. Not for this much anyway. The FLGR I think I could do without, as I'm not sure the weight is worth the added hassle. I only have my Stan Chen SI magwell to compare to, but a two piece magwell at this price point seems...cheap? Putting a particular pattern of VZ grips on is odd, since 1911 owners change their grips like they do their socks. I know I do. I would have expected the FBI slide stop mod at this price point. The slide in this gun doesn't look like it has that.

On the plus side, the tritium sights are nice, and the front strap checkering looks cool.

All in all if you gave me almost 2 grand for a 1911, I don't think I would end up with one of these.
    Agree with you 100% on the plastic trigger. And that Stan Chen magwell you installed is a really nice part. The magwell on the TRP (at least the ones I have) is okay, no problems with it being a two-piece.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Can you still shave with the 20LPI front strap checkering? My recollection of the TRP was that it was sharp.
    I could do without the 20 l.p.i. checkering, and would prefer something that will be comfortable for long shooting sessions.

I do not mind a full length guide rod. I generally like the pistols but agree that MSRP is more than I would be willing to pay for what these are.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I had a TRP Operator a million years ago. Full length dust cover, bull barrel, adjustable night sights, and it would shoot 1" at 25 yards all day long. Of all the guns I've sold, I regret that one the most. I think I paid $1100 for it, maybe less. Since that's my reference standard, I don't think I'll be buying a new one even though I would really like another 1911.

User Tag List