Thread: Been about 20 days w/o shooting and did some 25 yd work...

Been about 20 days w/o shooting and did some 25 yd work...

I decided to do 4 sets of 5 rds at 25 yds with my P30L to compare POA/POI consistencies as well as eye issues. Typically, I can hit a 5" plate fairly easy on slow fire with both eyes open, but I was curious as to where I was hitting on that 5" plate.

Here are my results for your reviewing pleasure. Btw, my sights are trijicons.

1. POA at 6 o'clock to the black B8 target. Both eyes open standing, 2H, unsupported. All 5 clustered in the upper right hand of the 7/8 rings. Probably a trigger control and sight picture issue after being cold for a while.

2. POA same as above but just a hair of light b/w sights and the black. This group was a bit better, but still b/w 1 and 4 o'clock with 3 close to the 9/10 rings. Again I think this might have been some trigger/sight issues as well.

3. Same as above but used only my dominant (R) eye. Got 4 of 5 in the 9 ring but all at 12 o'clock. The one oit was higher than the group and in the 8 ring. Interesting since I'm getting close to 40 yrs old and I've heard Todd and others say that this can happen as you get older-meaning ya might need to go dominant eye only on some things.

4. Now I drop my POA a little lower so that I'm at the bottom of the 7 ring and go back to both eyes open and bang, first shot is an X. 2 more in the 10 and 2 in the 9.

Here's my question: am I doing anything wrong aiming this low with 115 grain S&B or are there too many variables to count?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

IMHO, eye dominance will only be a problem if you are focusing on the target instead of the sights. It's common among shotgun shooters where it's best to focus on the bird with the bead in the periphery.
    With handguns, if your close focusing on the front/rear sight relationship, eye dominance should not be an issue.

Could be your sights I hold lower at 25 yards than at 3 yards but seems pretty low though to have to hold at the 7 ring on a B8. For my G19 with Trijcon HD sights I have to do a flat tire hold to get it in the X-ring on a B8 target from 25 yards. When I am at 3 yards I need to cover the X-ring with my sights to get X-ring shots. I have a general idea of where my POA needs to be to get a X-ring hit from 3,7,10,15,20,25 yards for my G19. Up close it is covering the target and the farther away I go the lower I have to aim until I get to about ~40 yards.

You could do something similar and eliminate any fundamental issues with sight alignment and shoot from 3yards while holding center on the target and see where it hits. Then walk it out and make sure your groups are trending in a logical way.

Couple of things:

Your windage (left to right) issue could be either from a rusty trigger pull; or your eyes since it seemed to get better when you where switching between 2 and 1 eye shooting. Was your sight picture clear when using 2 eyes or were you getting a 2nd ghost sight. If you were getting a ghost sight it could have been your eyes that were the problem.

Elevation- This is definitely a sight issue with the gun & ammo combination. Lighter faster bullets tend to shoot flatter than slower heavier bullets. Example was what I had this past week. Normally I shoot a 158 grain bullet over 3.2 grains of Clays traveling @ an avg 710 FPS in my competition revolver. I have this gun sighted in for poa/poi at 25 yards. Recently I have been working on a reload that would match our 125 grain +P duty round. These reloads are loaded with 3.4 grains of Clays thus traveling at a much faster velocity. While the 158 grain bullets group dead center on a B8, the 125 grain bullets group as tight but lower into the 7/8 ring on the B8 using the same sight setting and picture.

The same weight bullet traveling at different speeds will give you different POI elevations as well.

Now each gun is a bit different as to the POA/POI and you have to try different rounds or sights to get your preferred zero. Are 115 grain S&B bullets your preferred ammo? Are 115 grain bullets as a whole your preferred ammo? Is S&B's round traveling at a different velocity than what you previously shot?
    So solution can be:
    1: Try different brands and weight of ammo until you find one that works to your POA/POI preference with existing sights & stick with that ammo;
    2: Settle on one bullet configuration and adjust your front sight height accordingly;
    3: If available get adjustable rear sights so you can adjust your POA/POI as you change bullet configurations;
    4: Learn how each bullet configuration works in your weapon and adjust your POA for each.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Thanks for all the responses.
    I'd have to say that they were all useful.
    So let me answer some questions off the top of my head.

1. When speaking of a 1-3" dot, at 3-5 yds it's pretty much cover the bull with the front sight. 7-10 begins to lollipop. 25 yds I usually hit 3-5" plate with some daylight b/w the sights. I just don't do a lot on paper, so this was my lame attempt at half-assing the DOTW. I didn't bother timing or doing it properly, b/c I had gun trouble (hit a mile stone with the P30L and now it's headed back to HK) and I was more interested in learning/comparing my eyes, sight alignment and POA/POI at that distance.

2. S&B is my standard that I shoot all the time. I'm happy with it and any inconsistency is more me than an issue with the gun or the ammo. I don't reload or compete yet, so I'm happy with my performance and the amount of time I put in currently.

Thanks again!

So I have a better understanding what do you mean by b/w the sights?
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    So I have a better understanding what do you mean by b/w the sights?
    I meant some daylight b/w my sight picture and the bottom of the target.

I had remembered Julie G referencing this subject of zeroing your gun in a recent blog post. Whether it was for competition or Self Defense. Personally I like a 25 yard zero for both my Competition and Self Defense guns. For your reading pleasure http://www.juliegolob.com/shooting-t...g-at-distances

I recently read another very informative post about your guns zero. Off the top of head I can't remember where, I'll post when I come accross it.
    Scott

User Tag List