Thread: Corroded rimfire?

Site Supporter

Corroded rimfire?

I have two pocket holsters for NAA Minis that I had stashed in the box of holsters. Each had a little pouch for extra rounds. So I took out the rounds today and found that the brass was badly corroded and were as green as a Greek statute from under the Aegean.

Interestingly that the leather seemed to contribute. Certainly boxed 22s don't do that in my experience.

I have doubts about them being safe to shoot. Ideas about getting rid of them? Turn them over to the police? A gun shop.

Should I have checked them earlier - yes, I should have but I didn't.

Thoughts?
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Toss them in the dud box at the range or you could pull the bullets with a set of pliers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I have two pocket holsters for NAA Minis that I had stashed in the box of holsters. Each had a little pouch for extra rounds. So I took out the rounds today and found that the brass was badly corroded and were as green as a Greek statute from under the Aegean.

Interestingly that the leather seemed to contribute. Certainly boxed 22s don't do that in my experience.

I have doubts about them being safe to shoot. Ideas about getting rid of them? Turn them over to the police? A gun shop.

Thoughts?
    It's called verdigris and is a known thing. I bet it's one of the main reasons LE ammo went to nickel cases when spare ammo was carried in loops. If it's just built-up green gunk that you can wipe off, I'd do so and just shoot them. If they're pitted, I'd go with the dud ammo box suggestion.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    Verdigris is copper carbonate from oxidation of brass. I've not figured out why it's associated with leather unless it's by chance as in leather holding exposed rounds.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Verdigris is copper carbonate from oxidation of brass. I've not figured out why it's associated with leather unless it's by chance as in leather holding exposed rounds.
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe it's due to a chemical reaction between the brass and chemicals used in the tanning process.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe it's due to a chemical reaction between the brass and chemicals used in the tanning process.
    I think you are correct!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

Thoughts?
    They should be fine if you wipe them off and shoot them.

I have done that before.

Yes, the leather chemicals (and possibly the moisture in the leather) accelerates verdigris in brass.

User Tag List