FedEx finally delivered my 617 this morning after Smith fixed my problem with the cylinder not closing and getting stuck when dry firing ( Using snap caps ). When I explained the problem Customer Service told me to FedEx it back on S&W's dime for the repair.

Turns out that it needed a new trigger rebound spring and a new cylinder stop. Rare as it may be I actually didn't do anything to the gun after I bought it. I normally change springs and polish the hammer and trigger as per Jerry Miculek's video. The previous owner got in there before me and didn't do a good job.

Trying to close the cylinder ( Loaded or Empty) it would bind so badly that I couldn't fire a round. When I was lucky enough to get it closed it would lock up after only one or two chambers were fired. The problem was that the trigger, bolt stop and rebound spring all needed replacement. I was surprised that they sent me back the bad parts.

Trigger pull is now 9 pounds and 7 ounces which is pretty good for a gun leaving the factory. I'm going to test fire it the way it is and when satisfied that it's working properly I'll replace the hammer with a RevUp Action Hammer Kit. This should allow me to get a 7 pound double action pull. Single action will no longer work which isn't important. I shoot Steel Challenge with it and for pure speed I've never fired a shot in the SA mode.

I want to compare the RevUp kit to an Apex Tactical Mass Driver Hammer Kit that I have in my 6 ich 617. It's been cold the last few days and I just can't get out of the house when the temperatures are in the low 30s so I'll wait a few days and make it to the outdoor range in the afternoon when it's in the 70s.

It ended up costing me $ 90 in labor and $45 fpr a mew trogger. Not unreasonable. The only modifications I'm doing at this time is a Hogue Cylinder Latch, Next will be the rebound spring and finally the Hammer Kit.

Name:  4 inch Stock.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  37.6 KB