Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking the leap into .454 Casull....

Taking the leap into .454 Casull....

This will be my first step above .44 Magnum. Looking to glean any knowledge possible from those that have passed this way before me.

What I have gathered already is as follows:
    1k CCI 450 srp mag
    200 W-W brass
    VV N110
    Hornady 300gr XTP mag

Rifle or revolver?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Revolver- Taurus Raging Hunter 6.75

Revolver

Taurus Raging Hunter 6.75

It's a significant step up.

454 is a pretty high pressure offering and produces significant recoil along with the significant power.
    Does the 300 grain XTP hold up at 454 velocities? Maybe, I don't know.

You'll have some big fun, but if you decide you want bigger power with less violence involved, the bigger bore lower pressure rounds like the 500 JRH and 480 Ruger deliver.
    If you decide you want the same, but more, the big Linebaugh's are always there to punish you ; )

Either way, enjoy it.

A few random thoughts:
    • Your job is to balance weight and velocity.
    • The tipping point for bullet weight seems to be around 0.21 SD. The tipping point for velocity seems to be about 1,100 fps.
    • Heavy bullets will go almost as fast as light ones but will penetrate more deeply.
    • Cast bullets can go faster than jacketed bullets of the same weight or go the same speed with less pressure.
    • Get comfortable with gas checks.
    • Light bullets don’t go much faster than heavy bullets like they do in rifles.
    • No revolver bullet has a good ballistic coefficient, which is nice because blunt bullets kill game faster than pointed bullets.
    • Velocity flattens trajectory, but there's only so much you can do with blunt revolver bullets that aren’t going very fast anyway.
    • At some point, a flatter trajectory only matters if you use optical sights.
    • H110 and WW296 are the same powder. They work best at top pressure so use something else for mid-range loads. They’ll erode bores if you shoot too much of them.
    • Read everything that Ross Seyfried wrote about the 45 Colt and the 454 Casull.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Here are two lists of some of Ross Seyfrieds articles for reference, however he used heavy lead bullets (in 45 colt) almost exclusively, so not much on light jacketed bullets here. Interestingly, cylinder length, and not case length (45 Colt vs .454) was the limiting factor for max loads with the heaviest lead bullets (in guns of sufficient strength).

https://singleactions.proboards.com/...40/little-ross
    https://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=5120.0

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    It's a significant step up.

454 is a pretty high pressure offering and produces significant recoil along with the significant power.
    Does the 300 grain XTP hold up at 454 velocities? Maybe, I don't know.

You'll have some big fun, but if you decide you want bigger power with less violence involved, the bigger bore lower pressure rounds like the 500 JRH and 480 Ruger deliver.
    If you decide you want the same, but more, the big Linebaugh's are always there to punish you ; )

Either way, enjoy it.
    The Magnum bullets are made to stand up to the higher pressures and impact velocities. That is one of the reasons I decided to start with it and 300gr seems like a middle of the road size.

I will be testing from 250gr to 400gr bullets and as many different powders as I can lay hands on.

I'd sure agree the .454 is a significant step up from .44 Magnum. I handled a couple Freedom Arms revolvers quite a few years ago. I decided to order one in .454, with an aux. .45 ACP cylinder. Having loaded and shot my share of .41 and .44 Magnum, I figured I had this recoil thing all figured out. Nope! The real .454 loads were, as they say, "a whole nuther thing". Most of my .454 loading was with jacketed 300 grain bullets, loaded down about 150 FS or so from the factory stuff. Recoil was still about half again more than my .44 Mag. loads. Glad I ordered it with the extra .45 ACP cylinder;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

After twenty-five years with the .454 Casull in both FA revolvers and a T/C Encore, a couple of things work(ed) for me.

1) Do NOT load to maximum. Your wrists will thank you.
    2) Plugs and muffs. Your ears will thank you.
    3) I now stop at 300-grain at 1200 fps with most of my loads being 300-grain JFP at 900 fps. That load is enough for all non-dangerous game. The 300-grain 1200 fps loads will handle everything.
    4) FA has a decent amount of starting load data at https://freedomarms.com/wp-content/u...ading-Data.pdf that is recommended only for FA revolvers.
    5). The FA bullets are expensive but good when you want to get above 1200 fps. I do not like the Hornady XTP in the .454 unless the velocity is kept below 1000 fps.
    6) Clean the charge holes and forcing cone carefully with higher pressure loads. Do NOT ignore sticky loading or extraction.
    7) The Redding carbide 3-die set is expensive but worth it.
    8) No Lil'Gun powder for this round. It destroys forcing cones.
    9) Magnum primers for heavy bullets.

User Tag List