Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking the leap into .454 Casull....

My neighbor has a Freedom Arms from an estate that he doesn't shoot. Not sure why he won't sell it but he's had it for several years. I didn't realize they made 45 APC cylinders for those. If he ever decides to sell it I'll make him an offer. I know what they're worth new. It's a fantastic revolver. I load 45 ACP. I wouldn't even dream of shooting 454. I don't have dental insurance.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-18-2024 at 08:33 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    1) Do NOT load to maximum. Your wrists will thank you.
    So will your future self.

I grew up with lots of very accurate match-tuned guns, superb coaching, tons of range time, and almost unlimited supplies of ammunition. By my early 20's I was an excellent shot with rifles and handguns. Then I got a five-shot 45 Colt and felt that nothing less than 325-grain bullets at 1,400 fps would meet my needs. I shot that revolver very well at first but within a few months I developed a flinch that took years to go away.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I suggest you determine chamber throat diameter so you can match cast bullet diameter to them. PM me if you have issues finding correct size expanders.

Once I shot elephant rifles and hot 44 Mag loads for fun. Then one day I woke up with a terrible flinch. I still fight it. My opinion is that a 45 cal 255 gr cast swc at 1000 fps will penetrate about anything that walks in North America. You might do better with LBT style cast bullets which maintain velocity and especially accuracy at 100 yards better than do swc's.

Enjoy your revolver!

I took the plunge with a 7.5” freedom arms back in the 90s, I tried the 300 grain and 260 grain factory loads to start out. It took me a long time to get through that 50 r d box of 260 grain loads, they just hurt to shoot. The 300 was better and a better weight bullet for the 454 anyway. Back then I loaded the 300 grain bullets to around 1300 fps. I don’t miss all that power these days and I’m pretty happy with 1000 fps in all of my 44,45 &480 revolvers.

I don’t remember the specific load for that 300 grain XTP but it was very accurate bullet in my FA. I’m sure I used H110.

I wouldn't shoot any .454 Casull rounds out of anything lighter than an X-frame.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    I wouldn't shoot any .454 Casull rounds out of anything lighter than an X-frame.
    Would you mind explaining a bit more?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester560 View Post
    The Magnum bullets are made to stand up to the higher pressures and impact velocities. That is one of the reasons I decided to start with it and 300gr seems like a middle of the road size.

I will be testing from 250gr to 400gr bullets and as many different powders as I can lay hands on.
    I have limited experience shooting .454 Casull, only a few times out of a range buddies Ruger Super Redhawk with 7.5” barrel. I don’t know specifics on the loads, but it was moderately unpleasant to shoot even from a big heavy scoped revolver with a shock absorbing grip.

I do have a fair bit of experience with the 300 gr .452 XTP mag bullet. For years I’ve used it with sabot in a .50 cal muzzleloader over magnum charges of BH209. My MV was around 1700 fps. Very accurate bullet. Terminal results on deer were devastating. Full pass throughs with significant destruction of bones and soft tissue. I would not hesitate to use this bullet on much larger than deer sized game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester560 View Post
    Would you mind explaining a bit more?
    Most firearms chambered for the .454 Casull are SA revolvers which are fairly lightweight and have plowhandle grips. The S&W X-frames are big and heavy and are fitted with Hogue Tamer grips, both of which help absorb the significant recoil.

User Tag List