Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thoughts on 9mm Snubbies?

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I have a 9mm LCR that I bought for the same reason as many of you...ammo compatibility. That and I get 9mm ammo for free.

It's an unpleasant little SOB to shoot. I've tried to like it, but I just don't.

I'll just stick to 38/357 J-frames (especially steel ones).
    I forgot to add in my post above yours that the Taurus 9mm snub I shot was a steel frame and was still very unpleasant to shoot. I can't imagine what an alloy or polymer frame one is like.

Not sure why .38, even pretty peppy loads, are more pleasant than 9mm out of a snub nose small frame revolver, but they are.

Thoughts on 9mm Snubbies?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I forgot to add in my post above yours that the Taurus 9mm snub I shot was a steel frame and was still very unpleasant to shoot. I can't imagine what an alloy or polymer frame one is like.

Not sure why .38, even pretty peppy loads, are more pleasant than 9mm out of a snub nose small frame revolver, but they are.
    Zero issue with my 642-1 that I converted to 9mm… and that’s a 16 ounce revolver.

I shoot standard pressure Hornady 147 grain XTP.

For carrying reloads, I used a version of this…

https://tkcustom.com/collections/all...roducts/swpmc9

Mine is from the original manufacturer; Del Fatti Leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Zero issue with my 642-1 that I converted to 9mm… and that’s a 16 ounce revolver.

I shoot standard pressure Hornady 147 grain XTP.
    When I was shooting the Taurus, it was with a 115gr load of some variety. Maybe a standard pressure 147gr is more pleasant? I’d be interested to try one again. This was many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    When I was shooting the Taurus, it was with a 115gr load of some variety. Maybe a standard pressure 147gr is more pleasant? I’d be interested to try one again. This was many years ago.
    9mm… I always stick with the heavier loads, unless I can find a cheaper round with similar POI. UMC bulk 115 grain has an identical POI, but I am sure because it is weaker.

If you ever are in northern ME, shoot me a message. I’m sure we can set that up.

I have a little revolver or two chambered in 9mm. Even had an extra S&W 686 cylinder converted to 9mm, so I obviously like 9mm revolvers. But I understand the downsides, i.e., moon clips, recoil, etc. No way around it, ballistics of 9mm in the little revolvers is a bit better than most .38+P, so recoil is, well that Newton's third law thing. No doubt about it, most folks are happier with traditional rimmed revolver cartridges. To each his own, glad we have so many options

User Tag List