Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on 9mm Snubbies?

Regarding reloads, I would probably just go with the 5 or 6 in the gun....or use a Fanny Pack.

I think I would also try to pick one that was all steel...no light weights.

I have a 9mm LCR in the safe and that's where it will remain. If you like recoil they might be OK. I fired 469 rounds through mine, trying to make it work for me. Too much recoil to enjoy.

S&W 940

I have carried an S&W 940 as backup for over 20 years. If you keep chambers clean and dry and avoid +P ammo it is a good gun.

Mine shoots to the sights with 147-grain ammo. Lighter bullets hit low. Velocity with factory 147s is a bit over 900 fps. My Federal 9MS carry load expands to 0.50+" and stops in 4th gallon water jug. I use two Ranger bands around grip to give more cushioning to take some of the sting out of it.

Name:  20231230_142950.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  36.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    How was the accuracy?

It’s not as much of an issue with a snubby, but I’ve heard the 96 and the 99 both deliver poor accuracy unless you custom load 9 mm rounds with .357/.358 bullets because Smith was using existing 357 barrels on their 9mm revolvers instead of a proper .355/.356 barrel.

If I have to custom load ammo, it defeats the purpose for me.
    It was too brief of a flirtation to get a sense of its precision. A fast depressing fling. lol
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Some work better than others with regard to extraction issues. The 9mm case is tapered which means that the chambers ought to be too. I hate moon clips whether half or full. When they bend or warp, they drag. I grew up shooting 45 ACP ammo in 1917 Colt and Smith revolvers. No thanks. If I had a factory Ruger version that worked, that would be nice. However, I prefer the 38 Spl even with its ballistic limitations.

In 9mm revolvers using clips, the rounds are head spacing on the clip which serves as a rim. Although I've never done so, I see no reason not to crimp the case mouth with a roll crimp if the bullet has a crimp groove. A cannelure tool can make a groove on jacketed bullets. Just a thought.

Site Supporter
    Some work better than others with regard to extraction issues. The 9mm case is tapered which means that the chambers ought to be too. I hate moon clips whether half or full. When they bend or warp, they drag. I grew up shooting 45 ACP ammo in 1917 Colt and Smith revolvers. No thanks. If I had a factory Ruger version that worked, that would be nice. However, I prefer the 38 Spl even with its ballistic limitations.

In 9mm revolvers using clips, the rounds are head spacing on the clip which serves as a rim. Although I've never done so, I see no reason not to crimp the case mouth with a roll crimp if the bullet ad a crimp groove. A cannelure too can form a groove on jacketed bullets. Just a thought.

The SP101 is still a current offering (it is one of the many shiny objects that appeals to me ...):

Name:  9mm SP101.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  32.7 KB

Have a LCR 9 that I use as an ankle and occasional pocket gun. With standard pressure 147 ammo and the small grips I thought the recoil was less than a 38 LCR with 130 +p with the same grips. I’m good with the moon clips. If I’m carrying just the LCR, I’ll stick a Glock 43 magazine in a pocket, can thumb rounds in to the empty cylinders for a reload. At work, it’s a bug to a Glock 19, I occasionally practice reloading off a Glock 17 magazine, but well it’s beyond a bad day if not only was the bug in play, but actually trying (needing) to reload it.

Jason

I shot a Taurus snub 9mm and I remember the recoil being uncomfortably snappy. The owner of the gun got rid of it for the same reason.

I have a 9mm LCR that I bought for the same reason as many of you...ammo compatibility. That and I get 9mm ammo for free.

It's an unpleasant little SOB to shoot. I've tried to like it, but I just don't.

I'll just stick to 38/357 J-frames (especially steel ones).

User Tag List