Thread: Lefty by birth or by curse

Lefty by birth or by curse

I wanted to follow up with questions for a post by Erick Gelhaus regarding left-handed manipulations.

Although born right-handed, an accident in my early 20s damaged a nerve in my right arm, leading to weak right wrist strength. I learned to shoot lefty and coincidentally found out that I was left-eye dominant, so I've been shooting handguns and long guns left-handed for most of my adult life.

Pistols:

Most manipulations I think I've figured out while some have changed with the more I learn or setups change (pistol red dots affecting where I grip the slide, etc). The biggest challenge I have is clearing Type 3 (?) malfunctions or generally having to lock the slide back with non-ambi slide lock levers, retain a mag and manipulate the slide. On some pistols, I can engage the slide lock with the knuckle of my trigger finger and on other pistols (Shield+), I end up looking like someone who's just started to learn juggling.

• Mag release using trigger/middle finger or swap it to right side.
    • Slide lock reloads use trigger finger on slide release or rack slide by front slide serrations.
    • On small pistols (P365), keep left thumb far onto support hand to avoid stovepipes.

AR15:

I think the AR15 platform is actually more lefty friendly than right, with the exception of gas to the face. The tac reload is one manipulation that still baffles me without an ambi mag release. I've settled on stripping and stowing the mag before loading a new one, but that doesn't look as cool as the "L"-shaped mag grab that the righties can do. But seriously, the mag side-by-side finger-spacer method is even worse and typically ends with mags on the ground as I try to push the mag release and hold two mags in one hand all at the same time.

• Safety with left knuckle
    • Bolt catch/release with left trigger finger
    • Mag release with right thumb

Anyone else have "tricks" for lefties? Especially clearing Type 3 malfunctions on a pistol or tac reloads on an AR?

I am unfamiliar with the numbering system for the “Types” of malfunctions, but, anything that works better in right-hand mode is something that I will simply switch to right-hand mode to accomplish. Slide lock levers are something that I would rather NOT be ambidextrous, a reason that I still prefer Gen4 Glocks. (The “ambi” paddle of a Gen5 slide lock lever is fouled by my right hand, when shooting lefty, if I want to use two hands, with thumbs-forward.) I have not yet ground-off that stupid paddle, from any of my Gen5 guns, which relegates them to being occasional range toys, for now, for one-hand-only shooting. I may well commit to shooting Glocks revolver-style, with thumbs locked downward, and leave the “ambidextrous” slide lock levers intact.

My switch to being lefty is relatively recent, with ulnar nerve issues, arthritis, and shoulder mobility playing parts in the equation, as I age. I have always written lefty, and thrown righty, and have been reasonably ambidextrous with most handgun systems, to the extent that I decided to carry at 0300, for reasons, ‘way back in 1983.

I agree that the AR15/M4 system is generally quite lefty-friendly. I largely set that system aside, however, about 2005, after starting with an AR15A2 Govt Carbine, at age 40, in 2002, so, cannot recall any tricks or tips. I do maintain a working knowledge of the system, with my BCM Lightweight Middy, but it is mostly dry practice, with no “cool” mag changes.

Edited to add: I set-up my first AR15 with an ambidextrous safety. I left my second one with the GI safety, and adopted the lefty safety manipulation recommended by Kyle Lamb.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-19-2024 at 03:02 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    I wanted to follow up with questions for a post by Erick Gelhaus regarding left-handed manipulations.

Although born right-handed, an accident in my early 20s damaged a nerve in my right arm, leading to weak right wrist strength. I learned to shoot lefty and coincidentally found out that I was left-eye dominant, so I've been shooting handguns and long guns left-handed for most of my adult life.

Pistols:

• Mag release using trigger/middle finger or swap it to right side.
    • Slide lock reloads use trigger finger on slide release or rack slide by front slide serrations.

AR15:

• Safety with left knuckle
    • Bolt catch/release with left trigger finger
    • Mag release with right thumb
    Lefty here.

Mag release using trigger/middle finger or swap it to right side.

Forget the middle finger. As your support hand comes away from the pistol to get the new mag, relax your strong hand slightly, and torque/shit the pistol with your support hand (I just rub against the bottom of the trigger guard). All this takes place at once as you move the pistol into your work space. This will allow you to use the end, rather than the pad, of your trigger finger to depress the mag release, pretty much negating the need for an extended mag release. Additionally, this ends up with your mag well oriented straight up and down, aiding in the mag dropping free.

We taught this method both right and lefthanded. A righthanded person benefits because, again, they are using the end of their thumb to punch the mag release, rather than the pad.

Slide lock reloads use trigger finger on slide release or rack slide by front slide serrations

I try not to slide lock. When I do, I follow my support hand up in front of the trigger guard, with the v of my thumb and index finger contacting the frame's dust cover. I use my index finger to hit the slide release lever and move my support hand back into my two-hand grip. Actually less movement than using fingers on the slide from underneath, or overhand.

Bolt catch/release with left trigger finger

Similar to pistol. When seating the mag, after the tug reverse directions and follow the front of the mag well up to the delta ring area until the v between your thumb and index hits the delta ring (or rail) use your index finger to hit the bolt catch.

Even though I have extended bolt catches and ambi mag releases on all most all my rifles, I still find myself doing it this way and using my right thumb to punch the mag out as I go to get another one for a locked back reload.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List