Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why no 1301 20 gauge

Years ago the local shop had a used 1187 20 gauge youth gun. I handled it a couple times but it was gone by the time I decided to buy it. I bought my daughter a 20 gauge youth 870 that lives at my house. She can maneuver it easier than a 12. I’ve carried it hunting and enjoyed the lighter weight. I’d be interested in a Beretta 20 defense shotgun as I’m not getting any younger.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I don’t see tactical 20 gauge shotguns being a trend.

The 20 doesn’t really do anything that a low recoil 12 gauge round can’t do.

And this is one of those things that sounds great to PF but doesn’t translate to a wider audience.
    Boom ^^^

My 15yo daughter shoots my Comp a lot with out issue (1301's can cycle lower recoil stuff believe it or not)

12 gage is far more flexible

Tac shotguns are a pimple on the ass of shotgun sales volume

I wish S&W would make the 342 (instead of stupid fkng 357 scandiums) or a TDA/DAO M&P line but that is not what the market wants.

I believe it is advised to purchase firearms in common calibers to make finding ammo easier in a small town etc. in a pinch. 20 ga FC?

And yes I would buy a 1301/A300 20 gage

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Years ago the local shop had a used 1187 20 gauge youth gun. I handled it a couple times but it was gone by the time I decided to buy it. I bought my daughter a 20 gauge youth 870 that lives at my house. She can maneuver it easier than a 12. I’ve carried it hunting and enjoyed the lighter weight. I’d be interested in a Beretta 20 defense shotgun as I’m not getting any younger.
    When we started doing shotgun classes with Jeans, Awerbuck and Cain, the 870 was pretty much the standard. My wife, despite being strong and athletic, had trouble holding the 12 gauge 870 with one arm, while loading and doing various manipulations. We built her up a youth model 870 with a short LOP, and she enjoyed that a lot more.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I am about one 12ga A300UP away from having all the shotguns I am ever gonna need.

This damn place...

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Thread drift, I've seen this pic before and always meant to ask what in the world that rear sight is.

Non-drift, I think a quality 20ga defensive auto is a great idea if there really is a viable load for it (and it doesn't go away). I've broken a lot of clays and killed a lot of birds with a 20ga Beretta, and it is definitely an entirely different animal than a 12ga one. With comparable birdshot loads, recoil is similar, but the 12 is just so much more gun both in terms of weight and girth. With the right loads available, I could see that all transferring over to defensive use.
    Yeah, don't market it as tactical. That brings up images of swat teams clearing buildings and military applications that nobody really wants to see. It's a home defense shotgun and a good idea for a new marketing campaign for Beretta.

Personally, if I were building a HD shotgun I'd just cut the barrel of a 20 ga 1100 to 18'' and take the stock down to 13" but that would be more expensive than a new Beretta 1301.

I'm going to bet somebody will build a 20 auto loader for the HD market soon. I'm surprised Mossberg hasn't built one yet.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-16-2024 at 10:14 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Why no 20-gauge 1301?

Well. How many good pistols are there? How many good AR-15s are there? How many good bolt actions are there?

How many good defensive shotguns are there? Five? Six? A fraction of what there is for handguns, ARs, bolt-guns.

Shotguns are the revolver of the long gun world.

Having said that... maybe there are so few defensive 20-gauges because there is little good defensive ammunition. Maybe there is so little good defensive ammunition because there are so few defensive 20-gauges. Maybe a Beretta A300 UP or 1301 in 20-gauge, especially with Federal Flite Control, can begin to tip the balance.

Maybe.

I, for one, would be happy to see more - and better - defensive options available in both guns and ammunition.

But I'd also like to see the same in 16-gauge (and if I could snap my fingers and wish the guns and ammo into existence for 20-gauge or 16-gauge... I'm sorry, 20-gauge, but you're not getting the nod from me), so...
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

I don't know how good they are (certainly not as good as the 1301) Mossberg has the SA-20 tacrtical 20 gauge semi auto and Stoeger has the M3020.

https://www.mossberg.com/mossberg-in...rip-75780.html

https://stoegerindustries.com/shotgu...fense-shotguns

I had picked up a Remington 11-87 youth 20ga a few years ago. With this new 20ga load coming out I might dust it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I don't know how good they are (certainly not as good as the 1301) Mossberg has the SA-20 tacrtical 20 gauge semi auto and Stoeger has the M3020.

https://www.mossberg.com/mossberg-in...rip-75780.html

https://stoegerindustries.com/shotgu...fense-shotguns

I had picked up a Remington 11-87 youth 20ga a few years ago. With this new 20ga load coming out I might dust it off.
    The S.A.-20 is re-branded Turkish shotgun.

If you made me choose between the three shotguns you mentioned I’d have to go Stoeger aka “the Benelli we have at home.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I don’t see tactical 20 gauge shotguns being a trend.

The 20 doesn’t really do anything that a low recoil 12 gauge round can’t do.

And this is one of those things that sounds great to PF but doesn’t translate to a wider audience.
    Beat me to it. That is exactly what I was going to say - low recoiling or lower power 12 GA ammo exists in abundance.

I’d probably go with 12 Gauge regardless for this reason for any audience. I also have a mother with somewhat arthritic hands and larger 12 gauge shells would be easier to load for example. She’d never carry a shotgun or be inclined to use one, but she didn’t like my Sig Legion until she shot it and it absorbed recoil.

Would a racing geared Sig with 21 rounds make sense to most folks at first glance for a 70+ woman with arthritis? Nope. But when you look at it - it’s heavy and low recoiling and it has a generous capacity for someone not familiar with guns (or interested - so she’s probably not going to remember how to reload it), and has an easy to actuate trigger (again arthritic hands), and she will never carry a handgun (I’ve tried for 20+ years). It makes a ton more sense than a J-Frame .357 which is what she has now for a bed side gun if 21+1 rounds doesn’t get it done in her house. It’s probably not going to happen.
    God Bless,

Brandon

You guys are using facts to suggest why a 20-gauge 1301 wouldn't be viable. Things like, "it really doesn't do anything a 12ga doesn't do, recoil, lighter weight, etc.". Buyers don't buy based on facts they buy based on feelings. 20-gauge HD shotguns do sell and they sell regularly, not in the same number as 12s, but they sell, because buyers feel the lighter gun with the smaller gauge will recoil less.

If Beretta has an existing slimmer 20ga frame that makes a 1301T-20 - simply a chopped barrel away from being viable - then it is easy money. However, the 1301T is a unique beast in the lineup, more so the Mod2 guns now, which means it isn't that simple. In that case, I don't see those extra sales, particularly because they canabalize part of existing 1301 sales as viable.

___

That all said, if the FC 20ga buck is good in Mrs. RRs 870Y - then I may well go find a nice Light-20 A5, chop the barrel, screw a Nordic tube on the end and mount a mailbox (ACRO) to the top of the receiver. Because I am a god damned heathen like that.

User Tag List