Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal 20ga. No. 2 Buck w/ Flite Control being announced at SHOT

Federal 20ga. No. 2 Buck w/ Flite Control being announced at SHOT

I see Federal is launching a 2 Buck Flite Control 20ga. load at SHOT. Will be interesting to see how this works out.

Announcing is fine and dandy but worthless if the product can never be found on the shelves.

Oh fuck yea.

Paging @LHS - please pick up the courtesy phone nearest you!

I have a little Remmy youth express 20 that would probably love this stuff. My theory being that at household ranges, a load of buck even out of a 20 will change someone's channel.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Please let this be true.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Product number is PD204, it is listed on pg67 of their 2024 catalog under the "Personal Defense Shotshell with FliteControl". It is listed as a 00 load, but I am guessing that is a typo.

https://www.federalpremium.com/on/de...compressed.pdf

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    #2 isn't the ideal buckshot size, but if delivered in a tight pattern at close range I suspect nobody is going to be doing much complaining.

Recoil comes down to physics. The weight of the payload and velocity of the payload. If the velocity stats are accurate then it's pushing 1300 FPS, which isn't low recoil but isn't high recoil either. If it's pushing 10 #2 pellets that's ~ 400 grains, which is 9/10 of an ounce. I'd expect the buckshot to be plated, so probably close to an ounce or slightly more for the full payload.

An ounce at 1300 FPS is equivalent to a mid-level 12 gauge buckshot load. Which means if the stats are accurate, it will have more felt recoil than the 1100 FPS FFC 8 and 9 pellet load.

If the 20 gauge it is being fired from is lighter than a 12 gauge platform, more felt recoil still.

Is this a deal breaker? Probably not.

The gun itself can be lighter and handier and with a short enough stock that can be made into a pretty compelling package for defensive application.

Now if only there were a gun company making a lot of defensive oriented shotguns lately who had a 20 gauge platform that could have a similar treatment done to it to shoot such a loading...
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Now if only there were a gun company making a lot of defensive oriented shotguns lately who had a 20 gauge platform that could have a similar treatment done to it to shoot such a loading...
    Like maybe a company made up of some hillbillies in Tennessee and some guidos in Italy?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Like maybe a company made up of some hillbillies in Tennessee and some guidos in Italy?
    Must be talking about Ferrari Stampi, the ceramic tile mold and die manufacturer.

My bet is that the 1325fps is a typo, along with the OO. With their other 20 bore defense offering being 1100 that doesn’t make sense. Maybe 1150ish and #2?

Or I’m wrong, in which case I’m not interested.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List