Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Federal 20ga. No. 2 Buck w/ Flite Control being announced at SHOT

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Do we know if this is actually a 2.75" load?

AFAIK No 2 Buck for 20 gauge is always in 3" shells with factory loads.

No 3 Buck is in the factory 2.75 shells
    It is 2.75" - You can fit up to 9-pellets of #1 buck in a 2.75" 20-gauge shell. This is 10-pellets of #2 buck. The 3" version is 18-pellets of #2 buck.

I presume Federal tried some #1 buck variants and either could not get them functioning the way they wanted accuracy or penetration wise. I know I would prefer 8 pellets of #1 @1200fps to 10-pellets of #2 at 1325 - but I'll take this over what I currently have - nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Do we know if this is actually a 2.75" load?

AFAIK No 2 Buck for 20 gauge is always in 3" shells with factory loads.

No 3 Buck is in the factory 2.75 shells
    That picture was taken in Federal's booth; they made the display. I'm guessing it is a 2 3/4" load.

And like most marketing things, it's not quite right. For example, it certainly won't have that many #2 buck pellets in it...

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Glad this is being developed for 20 ga. owners.

Spent a few days pondering a 20 that carried more shots than the 3 plus 1 of the Winchester SX3 of my wife's.

Yesterday I stripped everything I could off my 1301T I had painfully set up to be my house gun. This is a second run 1301 I believe (originally 5 rd mag tube). Aimpoint T2 and Magpul stock are the only additions now. The stock is a few ounces heavier than the OEM but I really wanted the shorter LOP for her.

Winchester SX3 20 ga: 43.6 in. OAL 24in bbl, 6:08 wt.(empty), 3+1 cap
    Beretta 1301T 12 ga: 37.2 in. OAL 18.7 in bbl, 6:10 wt. (empty), 5+1 cap

I think I can lose another ounce and 1/2 inch when the thin Kick-eez recoil pad comes in. For my uses, I think this beats chopping up the SX3 or an old Remington 20 gauge.

The 20 ga. FFC is a still a great idea though. Of course now I have to buy a Mod 2 1301 for me, bummer.
    My apologies to weasels.

I’m not sure I see the attraction at 1325fps. We’re back to all the arguments in favor of reduced recoil 12.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’m not sure I see the attraction at 1325fps. We’re back to all the arguments in favor of reduced recoil 12.
    To me, the attraction is going to be a lighter-weight, handier platform. Yes, recoil will still be an issue, but with good technique that can be mitigated. The weight of the gun mostly can't, and I see a lot of fatigue with smaller students who have to swing a full-size 12ga around for two full days.

I wish they'd been able to get a true reduced-recoil load, but who knows what the future may bring? If this stuff sells well, maybe that could be on the horizon.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Did some shotgun practice yesterday, mostly banging away at our pistol steel, with a variety of shells.
    Am in the process of getting back into the pump gun business, and yesterday was refresher on how much more severe the recoil is. I have some reloads with slow powder and 1-1/2oz of #6, they approximate buck loads and at three gun they are handy on the MGM Spinner. With my 1301C it is all just sit back and let the big dog eat, out of a 590 they are more like wowzer!

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    To me, the attraction is going to be a lighter-weight, handier platform. Yes, recoil will still be an issue, but with good technique that can be mitigated. The weight of the gun mostly can't, and I see a lot of fatigue with smaller students who have to swing a full-size 12ga around for two full days.

I wish they'd been able to get a true reduced-recoil load, but who knows what the future may bring? If this stuff sells well, maybe that could be on the horizon.
    By my calculations this load will have about 2/3 the recoil of a 8 pellet reduced recoil 00 buckshot load.
    Seems like the recoil in a lighter 20 gauge frame should be similar to a soft shooting reduced recoil buck load in a heavier 12 gauge frame.
    Or slightly lighter.
    Seems like a good compromise to me.

Ooh I'm excited. I've been hunting around for another gp 20gauge sxs. Not for defensive use but for hunting/camping/etc.

I've never been impressed with 20 gauge buck with patterning but this might help.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Ooh I'm excited. I've been hunting around for another gp 20gauge sxs. Not for defensive use but for hunting/camping/etc.

I've never been impressed with 20 gauge buck with patterning but this might help.
    A quality 20 ga coach gun config with this load available sounds handy as hell!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List