Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Echelon Department Adaption

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    When Taurus does the same you can put something on X.

I wouldn't have made a big deal out of it, but I'd have given them handguns and rifles. I listened to Rob Schauland talk about growing up in Geneseo and the presence SA had/has there. It's just good community relations.
    I put out a press release when we equipped the entire Philippines National Police or whatever they're called, which I'm pretty sure has more than 15 dudes

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by kmess View Post
    My agency is switching to the Echelon from the Sig P229. Small agency of 26, so small sample size. SCS-320 optic, TLR-1 HL and Safariland 6360 holster. Our T&E process wasn't as robust as large agencies would do, but we were very happy with the weapon and it came out on top against 5 others. Glock was not an option for testing, unfortunately out of my control. We are aiming at rolling them out in the next few weeks. Obviously have a little trepidation about switching to an unproven platform, but so far we haven't encountered any issues outside of optic fit with the SCS-320.
    Would you mind sharing the other candidates and your impressions of them? I know it's anecdotal but I'm always very interested in agency T&E outcomes.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I carry AIWB, so until they come out with a 4 inch model that also has a manual thumb safety or is SCD compatible, I’ll have to pass on it.

Agree. The improved grip safety on the newer XDs was actually well done, but I’m not sure I would really trust the gun to hold up. Maybe, but how many high round count XDs are there? Newer or older.

Maybe they will eventually offer an Echelon with a safety, but I’m not expecting them to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Would you mind sharing the other candidates and your impressions of them? I know it's anecdotal but I'm always very interested in agency T&E outcomes.
    Sig P320, FN 509t, HK VP9, Walther PDP, M&P 2.0 and Echelon. Sig was what the initial plan was but bad press gave powers that be cold feet. FN was ok, didn't impress in any way. Walther was solid, although snappy but no issues. Narrowed down to VP9, M&P & Echelon and had all officers shoot them for their input. VP9 shot very well, no reported issues. M&P had a great grip, and shot great making it a close second. Echelon beat out M&P and everyone shot it very well (accuracy and speed). Admittedly our T&E process is limited by budget/time and wasn't overly rigorous in terms of durability, so time will tell if we made the right choice. But based off of how the large majority performed with the gun it stood out.

Vending Machine Operator
    Sig P320, FN 509t, HK VP9, Walther PDP, M&P 2.0 and Echelon. Sig was what the initial plan was but bad press gave powers that be cold feet. FN was ok, didn't impress in any way. Walther was solid, although snappy but no issues. Narrowed down to VP9, M&P & Echelon and had all officers shoot them for their input. VP9 shot very well, no reported issues. M&P had a great grip, and shot great making it a close second. Echelon beat out M&P and everyone shot it very well (accuracy and speed). Admittedly our T&E process is limited by budget/time and wasn't overly rigorous in terms of durability, so time will tell if we made the right choice. But based off of how the large majority performed with the gun it stood out.
    Thanks for the info! Looks like a pretty good slate of candidates.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I put out a press release when we equipped the entire Philippines National Police or whatever they're called, which I'm pretty sure has more than 15 dudes
    I haven't seen the press release but the Philippine National Police have bought several batches of TS9s and I've been seeing a lot of T4s lately.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post
    I haven't seen the press release but the Philippine National Police have bought several batches of TS9s and I've been seeing a lot of T4s lately.
    The PI national police use at least half a dozen different duty guns, the majority (about 70,000) being Glock 17s. In addition to Taurus, they also have berettas, Caniks, IWI Masadas and Pindads from Indonesia.

I might have missed it somewhere earlier, but any reason GLOCK isn't on the list of candidates?

Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post
    10,000 at first order and I then I don't remember what the second order was for. Cool that you're seeing T4s pop up as well

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I might have missed it somewhere earlier, but any reason GLOCK isn't on the list of candidates?
    Given the problems command staff can have about what officers post on the Internet, I'll jump in and remark that weapon purchases in departments can be influenced by those with oak leaves, eagles, or stars on their collars.

The now retired chief at my former agency absolutely despises Glock, considering their pistols cheap junk. That worked out OK in 1989 as we transitioned from revolvers. The selection committee preferred the SigSauer 226 (which the chief had authorized for his former department). I suspect the chief's opinion influenced the decision making decades later when another committee wanted to change our pistols. While I was no longer a cool kid with inside knowledge, the decision-makers decided on the M&P40 until FNH, learning of the Smith bid, undercut them to lead us to become one of four departments with FNS pistols.

Talk about plastic junk.

Fast forward a few years and a new chief, a desk pop (actually a locker room pop), various problems eventually resolved by FN, and my former department is carrying...Glock.

User Tag List