Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield Echelon Department Adaption

Reviewer of the Tools
    That's a pretty sweet carry package all around. I would definitely shelve any of my pre conceived biases for the manufacturer in exchange for a new striker 9mm handgun with a brand new Safariland, X300, and a RMR HD for duty carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    That's a pretty sweet carry package all around. I would definitely shelve any of my pre conceived biases for the manufacturer in exchange for a new striker 9mm handgun with a brand new Safariland, X300, and a RMR HD for duty carry.
    Quote Originally Posted by H8Train View Post
    Is this a big deal? Looks like they have maybe 14 officers and a town population of 6K?
    No reason the Echelon shouldn't garner some LE interest. The design seems sound and robust.

It does make one wonder about the purchase price. Did SA comp these departments in exchange for the publicity? What patrol rifles are these departments using? Springfield ARs or bullpups?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Did SA comp these departments in exchange for the publicity?
    Wouldn't you? Can't have the hometown team carrying Glocks.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Wouldn't you?
    Of course. Gotta get the word out somehow.

My agency is switching to the Echelon from the Sig P229. Small agency of 26, so small sample size. SCS-320 optic, TLR-1 HL and Safariland 6360 holster. Our T&E process wasn't as robust as large agencies would do, but we were very happy with the weapon and it came out on top against 5 others. Glock was not an option for testing, unfortunately out of my control. We are aiming at rolling them out in the next few weeks. Obviously have a little trepidation about switching to an unproven platform, but so far we haven't encountered any issues outside of optic fit with the SCS-320.

Post 9 is correct.
    https://www.cityofgeneseo.com/departments/police/

With the Police Chief, the total count-sworn is only 15.
    I wouldn't know if it'd be one of those departments to allow personally-owned handguns to be used instead of what's available, issued, as some departments do allow.

Other than the old, now discontinued FBI Springfield-Armory Professional 1911s, did Springfield-Armory ever have much presence with Federal, local, or military firearms procurements, just wondering (what firearms; how many)?

Quote Originally Posted by kmess View Post
    My agency is switching to the Echelon from the Sig P229. Small agency of 26, so small sample size. SCS-320 optic, TLR-1 HL and Safariland 6360 holster. Our T&E process wasn't as robust as large agencies would do, but we were very happy with the weapon and it came out on top against 5 others. Glock was not an option for testing, unfortunately out of my control. We are aiming at rolling them out in the next few weeks. Obviously have a little trepidation about switching to an unproven platform, but so far we haven't encountered any issues outside of optic fit with the SCS-320.
    Interesting choices in handgun and optic. What was the deciding factor(s) for the SCS? And what's the issue with its fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Interesting choices in handgun and optic. What was the deciding factor(s) for the SCS? And what's the issue with its fit?

The enclosed emitter without having an adapter plater was primary driver. We had to cut all of the factory screws down for proper length, and use pin set 3 in rear to have it sit flush. Fits great now, and no issues to date.

Post 18,
    https://store.springfield-armory.com...erface-system/
    S-A's website for the Echelon has a list of optics, pin set number, and whether the optics can use "OEM" screws.
    For some reason, your department went with a Holosun SCS-320 which wasn't on that list.
    Your department apparently just wanted to do whatever it wanted to do. Departments and people can be like that

I think a major potential problem in choosing a handgun outside Glock, SIG, and maybe S&W is parts and service support.
    I suppose with Springfield-Armory, only time will tell how well armorer training, parts availability, and any other support is handled.
    I don't quite understand why Glock wasn't even considered and I suspect its personal or political.

Other things besides the above, could be holster availability and how well that Holosun SCS-320 works with the Echelon.

A good thing with a smaller department is it can make decisions and move on things like this much faster.
    I'll be interested to hear how well the Echelon does over time and how long it'll be issued before getting replaced.
    Another thought is whether the department allows personally-owned alternate handguns should a LEO want to do so.
    I came from a 500+ department which simply mandated using the issued Glock17gen4 (from the prior G22gen3). Prior to 1999, personally-owned guns were ok'd.
    Last edited by L-2; 01-17-2024 at 12:21 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Other than the old, now discontinued FBI Springfield-Armory Professional 1911s, did Springfield-Armory ever have much presence with Federal, local, or military firearms procurements, just wondering (what firearms; how many)?
    I think they supplied a bunch of pistols to a certain Army unit as well as a quantity of MEUSOC pistols to the Marine Corps, both probably ending in the early 2000s.

But then, it's quite possible I'm wrong on both counts.

User Tag List