Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 22/45

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Forgot the ammo, d’oh!

Came up with two options around $0.07 cpr:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...0-p-53759.aspx

And:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci-...-p-110580.aspx

I was gonna order 1 ea to try. Or should I get something else?
    Mine worked great with Aguila Super Extra, which is a little less expensive, but not massively so. Of the two you listed, I'd get the mini-mags over the Federal.

Forgot the ammo, d’oh!

And:

N=1, but I had some feeding and misfiring problems with the Federal Champion. The CCI Mini Mags have pretty much performed very well. Actually, I was trying various CCI super and sub offerings in my .22 target rifle, then tried them in my 22/45, and they all ran OK, even the subsonic puff loads.

I've also had good luck in the Ruger .22 with Aguila Super Extra in bulk packs (500 rounds dumped in a box). Works fine, and is plenty accurate at 25 yds (longest distance of nearby indoor range I frequent).

[And I see psalms 144.1 beat me to the same conclusion . . . great minds)

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Mine worked great with Aguila Super Extra, which is a little less expensive, but not massively so. Of the two you listed, I'd get the mini-mags over the Federal.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    N=1, but I had some feeding and misfiring problems with the Federal Champion. The CCI Mini Mags have pretty much performed very well. Actually, I was trying various CCI super and sub offerings in my .22 target rifle, then tried them in my 22/45, and they all ran OK, even the subsonic puff loads.

I've also had good luck in the Ruger .22 with Aguila Super Extra in bulk packs (500 rounds dumped in a box). Works fine, and is plenty accurate at 25 yds (longest distance of nearby indoor range I frequent).

[And I see psalms 144.1 beat me to the same conclusion . . . great minds)
    You guys rock. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    I hope you like it better than I liked my long-ago-sold MKIII 22/45. I hated that gun. Supposedly the MKIV solves most of my gripes, though.
    I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I’ve been down the 40107 road several times and always ditch it because they feel very nose heavy and unbalanced to me.
    Well, may be so, but it doesn't need to stay that way....

Name:  Or Not.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  28.8 KB

Seriously, that is a concern, but I have considered getting the 5.5' and seeing what it might be like at about 4". Or 3.5". Or...
    Wonder how well those Brownells crowning tools work...

Forgot the ammo, d’oh!
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    IMO start with Mini Mags, if all is well get more, then experiment with cheaper alternatives.

For ammo, start with CCI Standard Velocity. Any decent .22 rimfire should run that ammo just fine. I have broken in two Ruger Standard pistols refinished with Cerakote with CCI SV with no issues.

Site Supporter
    Forgot the ammo, d’oh!

And:

I usually buy .22LR by the brick, or sometimes bulk box.

Both of those should run your new Ruger. If you want max accuracy, you will probably end up with somehing else that costs more, but those will work great and be accurate.

My first gun of any description was a Ruger MKII Standard, 4.75” tapered barrel with fixed sights. We still have it after 30 years, and it has taught many how to shoot. It has fired truckloads of ammo, with very rare malfunctions (usually ammo related). I wore out a recoil spring assembly, and it probably could stand a new extractor, but it still runs and is very, very accurate. So much so that while I have and enjoy a G44, I would never choose it over the Ruger (or S&W M18 revolver) if I actually needed to hit a small target (like braining a rabbit or squirrel, or a 1” dot). I’ll have a pic of it tomorrow with a new MKII sibling I’m picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I do not think the Mk IV has the durability or accuracy of the previous Ruger pistols, and the amount of dissatisfied customers at my former LGS of choice led them to soft-pedal it unless someone demanded one.

Sadly, there is not a great alternative other than the Browning Buck Mark line, which has its own issues. Still, did I not have a good older Ruger MkIII and needed to scratch the itch, I would probably get a Buck Mark Field Target and call it good. I dislike Buck Marks for procedural reasons, but the few I have owned were as accurate as the Rugers and had better triggers out of the box.

Nowadays, I'd probably just get a .22 conversion for a Beretta 92 or some such thing and abandon the current crop of .22 autoloaders entirely. When High Standard closed the doors, I started losing interest in the breed.
    That sure doesnt match my sample. 5 shot groups under 1" at 25 yards and 7" at 100. Prone with makeshift sandbags. That is as good as I can shoot any handgun, mechanically it might be capable of even more.

Super reliable with almost any 22lr ammo, except some SV stuff that is loaded too light.

By contrast my 92 conversion needs an 18# hammer spring to run reliably, which really reduces its training usefulness. It also cant mount a dot, whereas the 22/45 is very easy to mount a dot.

I use the Maddmacs center RDS mount, its very good. The stock rail sucks, too high. ive seen at least one other option that looks nicer than the Maddmacs.

The biggest downside to this gun as a trainer is the balance is very different from any of my "real" guns. Very top heavy. The safety is also crap compared to a 1911 safety, but its fine for training. The trigger is not a 1911 trigger, but I think its just fine. I did get an aftermarket flat trigger shoe and some minor internal upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    Get the 40107. A while ago Volquartzen would sell new ruger 5.5" bull barrel uppers for $70 or so. I think they were buying the entire pistol to get the patented MKIV frame, then selling the upper. Looks like they buy the cheapest model now, with the 4" tapered barrel and are selling those uppers for $35.
    So then you buy one of those tapered 4" barrels for $35. It's drilled and tapped for a rail upon which you can mount your red dot. Then you have a good bull barrel and an optic barrel.
    The cheap factory 4" tapered uppers are here: https://volquartsen.com/clearance
    Haven;t read the entire thread, just tried to buy one and they said it must ship to an FFL. What's up with that?
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    Haven;t read the entire thread, just tried to buy one and they said it must ship to an FFL. What's up with that?
    The upper is serialized, not the frame.

User Tag List