Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 22/45

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have one of the very early 22/45's that is probably 30 years old or close to it.
    #Me2

Mine has served me for decades, has well north of 20K rounds through it and has been almost trouble free (I did have to replace the little metal inset and spring that goes in the firing pin channel but the gun continued to function during that time). I purchased it early in my pistol journey to be able to supplement my full caliber pistol shooting and to shoot at my colleges ROTC indoor range that only allowed .22 to be shot.

That was almost 30 years ago. While it has many of the functional similarities to a 1911 or other modern service handgun I feel it comes up short against modern trainers like the Beretta 92 conversion kit or the G44. I’m not a 1911 shooter so don’t know what is available for a .22LR trainer or conversion kit, but that would be the direction I would initially go. Beyond what others have already mentioned I would add that the 22/45 will not work with your 1911 holsters and gear (May or may not be an issue depending on your gear), the magazines are tactilely different from 1911 mags, and the gun just feels different (doesn’t have a slide, etc). I would say it’s an 80% analog…

Lots of good advice here. One more consideration to gum up your decision-making process…

I, too, have one of the original 22/45s. 5” bbl and that thing just plain shoots. It makes me a much better shooter than I actually am and it is Singer sewing machine reliable.

My wife and I purchased a couple of the new ultralight models. They are speedy, as you noted, and they look cool as hell, but have been a big disappointment. They just don’t run reliably. They don’t have the magic shootability of my original, but I can’t blame that on them. They do seem almost too light. Did I mention they jam a lot? I really WANT to like it, but I don’t. Hopefully, others have better experiences.

If I were in your shoes, I’d prowl the LGS for a MK 3 version. The only thing you’re giving up is the improved thumb safety, IMO, and potentially saving a headache. An acquaintance of mine is a very casual/occasional shooter and had the same original model as mine. He sold it to the LGS for $170. At that price, I would’ve bought it for my son. Dang it!

Site Supporter
    I have a Mk4 Lite with a Dawson front sight on it. I know the trigger can be greatly improved.

Overall the gun is nice out of the gate, but be aware that getting the mags into a 22/45 require a dramatically different angle than a centerfire it's intimidating. The Mk4 22/45 does have a spring to ensure the magazine clears the grip upon release, and it's been very reliable for me.

I personally prefer the TX22 series of pistols, for what that's worth.

Like @awp_101, I like my 22/45 Mk3 Lite quite a bit. I've added Volq mods, including eliminating the annoying mag safety and loaded chamber indicator. The EPS is on a FarrowTech mount. As with most .22s the magazines are the weak link. Polishing all bearing surfaces on the magazines helps reduce feed malfunctions.

Name:  22-45 Holosun EPS.jpeg
Views: 371
Size:  94.8 KB
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I had a 22/45 MkIV Lite a while back, and mounted a cheap TRS25 on it. It shot very well, but I ultimately sold it for a number of reasons:

1. As mentioned, the trigger is NOT a 1911-equivalent trigger, even given it's SA. Pull and "swing" were just not what I was looking for. It was a better match for a number of SA-shot DA/SA triggers
    2. The manual of arms is completely different than any SA pistol I might use it for as a "trainer."
    3. The non-reciprocating upper makes the Dot VERY steady - artificially so, again, reducing it's use as a trainer

I ended up with a G44 that more accurately modeled the Glocks I was carrying at the time, and was much happier with the overall experience. Now that I'm largely a P365 guy, I've just been waiting to find a P322 on the shelf at a decent price in a LGS.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I’m considering a Ruger 22/45 as my first .22 purchase.
    I do not think the Mk IV has the durability or accuracy of the previous Ruger pistols, and the amount of dissatisfied customers at my former LGS of choice led them to soft-pedal it unless someone demanded one.

Sadly, there is not a great alternative other than the Browning Buck Mark line, which has its own issues. Still, did I not have a good older Ruger MkIII and needed to scratch the itch, I would probably get a Buck Mark Field Target and call it good. I dislike Buck Marks for procedural reasons, but the few I have owned were as accurate as the Rugers and had better triggers out of the box.

Nowadays, I'd probably just get a .22 conversion for a Beretta 92 or some such thing and abandon the current crop of .22 autoloaders entirely. When High Standard closed the doors, I started losing interest in the breed.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

If you want a .22 analog for a 1911, why not just get a .22 1911?

https://waltherarms.com/colt-1911-a1

I've shot a friend's Walther Colt 1911 A1, and it was downright fun. They seem to have a good reputation, too.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.

What’s that? Patience? Pfftt. We don’t need no steenking patience:

Name:  IMG_0603.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  42.2 KB

Just concluded the order for a 22/45 #40701. I think this was the one @mmc45414 posted in the .45 thread. Plus there was a $20 off coupon. So $339.99 plus tax and a flat $9.99 shipping.

https://grabagun.com/ruger-mkiv-22-4...5-5-bl-sy.html

Will let ya know how it shoots. Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.

What’s that? Patience? Pfftt. We don’t need no steenking patience:

Name:  IMG_0603.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  42.2 KB

Just concluded the order for a 22/45 #40701. I think this was the one @mmc45414 posted in the .45 thread. Plus there was a $20 off coupon. So $339.99 plus tax and a flat $9.99 shipping.

https://grabagun.com/ruger-mkiv-22-4...5-5-bl-sy.html

Will let ya know how it shoots. Should be interesting.
    I hope you like it better than I liked my long-ago-sold MKIII 22/45. I hated that gun. Supposedly the MKIV solves most of my gripes, though.

Forgot the ammo, d’oh!

Came up with two options around $0.07 cpr:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...0-p-53759.aspx

And:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci-...-p-110580.aspx

I was gonna order 1 ea to try. Or should I get something else?

User Tag List